Orange Skin from Tanner

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I follow all the rules. I exfoliate everything. I shave. I exfoliate again. I use a good moisturizer on my dry spots. Make sure my skin is completely dry before applying. All that stuff, every last bit, every single little tip you can cull from every single fashion/beauty magazine there is. And yet every single time, I turn orange. I recently used L'Oreal's Sublime Bronze Medium to Deep self tanning gelee. What a great scent! Color took 5 hours to develop, which I thought was weird. And I didn't turn as brown as I wanted, so the next day I reapplied, like the label indicated I should. In 4 hours I went from a little brown to a lot orange. I also smell very badly now too. Is it just something with my skin that I'm unable to use self tanners or what? And why the horrible smell?
icon_eek.gif

Originally Posted by rowantree I follow all the rules. I exfoliate everything. I shave. I exfoliate again. I use a good moisturizer on my dry spots. Make sure my skin is completely dry before applying. All that stuff, every last bit, every single little tip you can cull from every single fashion/beauty magazine there is. And yet every single time, I turn orange. I recently used L'Oreal's Sublime Bronze Medium to Deep self tanning gelee. What a great scent! Color took 5 hours to develop, which I thought was weird. And I didn't turn as brown as I wanted, so the next day I reapplied, like the label indicated I should. In 4 hours I went from a little brown to a lot orange. I also smell very badly now too. Is it just something with my skin that I'm unable to use self tanners or what? And why the horrible smell?
icon_eek.gif
The smell is the chemical reaction that's taking place to change your skin tone. I am also unable to use self-tanners, and I've completely given up. Sorry but I have no other advice for you except to quit wasting your money on it. I get so mad when I think of the time I've taken to apply self-tanner exactly as all the magazines/manufacturers say to do it. I turn orange like a Dorito.

Maybe its just the tan you're using? I know everyone is sick of spending money on tanners but i have honestly found the best one on the market & i know every girl in Ireland would agree with me here (because its sold out in every store & is impossible to buy now because of the demand). I'm not sure if its available in the US but its called Johnson's Holiday Skin. Basically they've added some tanning lotion to their famous body lotion and the results are unbelievable. It adapts to your own skin tone & i havent seen on tan line yet. Really girls, ye gotta try it. Oh and its CHEAP too!

Originally Posted by Laura Maybe its just the tan you're using? I know everyone is sick of spending money on tanners but i have honestly found the best one on the market & i know every girl in Ireland would agree with me here (because its sold out in every store & is impossible to buy now because of the demand). I'm not sure if its available in the US but its called Johnson's Holiday Skin. Basically they've added some tanning lotion to their famous body lotion and the results are unbelievable. It adapts to your own skin tone & i havent seen on tan line yet. Really girls, ye gotta try it. Oh and its CHEAP too! I recently tried the Neutrogena Build a tan and this is the best product I have tried so far.. My skin didn't turn orange! However it's sooo slow to achieve the color you want..I ended up using it twice a day and achieved the tan I wanted in a week! I've noticed that sun less tanners work best if you are not super white.. My legs are ghostly white and when I use sunless tanners it doesn't look natural..but my arms which have been exposed to the sun and are not that white always look awesome when I use a sunless tanner..I actually achieve that brown color!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I've had the same problem with self tanners, too. I just found Jergens Natural Glow (finally), and tried it today. I already see a nice golden glow, and no streakiness or oranginess (oranginess?). I hope it builds up into a nice looking natural tan. Will keep ya'll posted.

Originally Posted by rowantree I follow all the rules. I exfoliate everything. I shave. I exfoliate again. I use a good moisturizer on my dry spots. Make sure my skin is completely dry before applying. All that stuff, every last bit, every single little tip you can cull from every single fashion/beauty magazine there is. And yet every single time, I turn orange. I recently used L'Oreal's Sublime Bronze Medium to Deep self tanning gelee. What a great scent! Color took 5 hours to develop, which I thought was weird. And I didn't turn as brown as I wanted, so the next day I reapplied, like the label indicated I should. In 4 hours I went from a little brown to a lot orange. I also smell very badly now too. Is it just something with my skin that I'm unable to use self tanners or what? And why the horrible smell?
icon_eek.gif

icon_eek.gif
Hi Rowantree, nice to read your posts again!!! Talking about self tanner, tell me about it!! I am the same!!! I put some on the other day, and like you i follwed every instruction in the book, shaved, ex foliated and moisturised and still i come out patchy
icon_cry.gif
I use only the best products,, even those that promise to be streak free. The ONLY think i can think of that i am not doing right, it not putting it on in the right light. I did mine at night and applied mine in the early hours of the morning and thought i could sleep whilst it develops.I even use a tan with color in it so i can see where it's going.Still it's not perfect! Its so annoying.The only advice i can give you,but you might not want to do it....i did...i just applied more t6an on top of the patchy tan and make it really dark, when it starts to fade that's when i can see the layer's of tan LOL but saying that you could try some Tan Remover.St Tropez makes some.I have everything i need for self tanning.I have spacial mits i bought that can be used to smooth creams lotions or mouse tan's.I have the air brush tan in a can, i spend ages ex foliating and still it's not 100% perfect.Hopefully next time i will do it in broad day light and ask someone to help me!

I have orange stripes on my legs now from the tanner wearing away! With temps this week to be in the 90's, I am so not happy! I've scrubbed & scrubbed. I refuse to go buy self tanning remover because I am through with self tanner. My sister tried the Jergens lotion & said it never changed her skin color...we have the same skin tone (medium), so I know it won't work for me if it didn't work for her. I can't add more self tanner to cover the patches because I don't want to be orange!
smile.gif
Well I do feel a little better now, thought I was the only person on earth who kept turning orange. At least now I know I'm not & I can quit wasting my money! Thanks everyone for your posts!

Originally Posted by Nicolet I've had the same problem with self tanners, too. I just found Jergens Natural Glow (finally), and tried it today. I already see a nice golden glow, and no streakiness or oranginess (oranginess?). I hope it builds up into a nice looking natural tan. Will keep ya'll posted. Nicole- Any word yet on how you like this self-tanner? Has it given you a good tan yet? I am dying to try one I really like!
Cass

Originally Posted by CassBH Nicole- Any word yet on how you like this self-tanner? Has it given you a good tan yet? I am dying to try one I really like!
Cass

Hi Cass,
Funny you should ask! I just posted a new thread today about how much I like it. I searched high and low for Jergen's Natural Glow, it was sold out everywhere in my town. Finally I found some for "Fair skin tones." I'm pale olive so I thought it would be good. I've been using it for about 3 days now, and my husband commented to me last night, "Got some sun? Looks good, honey." It made me smile..I also didn't tell him my secret.
wink.gif
It totally looks natural, and not streaky or orangy. Today, I found the one for Medium Skin Tones..I'm going for that next.
biggrin.gif
At about 6 bucks a pop, it wouldn't hurt to try it!

Nicole- Thanks for letting me know! I will definitely give it a shot. I am hoping self-tanners are safe to use during pregnancy, as I am currently preggo with twins! My pale, swollen legs really need some color!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I know what you mean about this stuff being hard to find! CVS was sold out for weeks!

Cass,

Yay! Congrats on your pregnancy! I'm so happy for you. As for whether or not Jergens Natural Glow is ok during pregnancy, I'd definitely take a tube along to your OB/GYN so he/she can check out the ingredients. As for pale legs, "shorts" weather totally snuck up on me this year. We had such a long rainy season, now all of a sudden I bare my legs and it's scary! A little color sure helps!
redface.gif

Originally Posted by CassBH Nicole- Thanks for letting me know! I will definitely give it a shot. I am hoping self-tanners are safe to use during pregnancy, as I am currently preggo with twins! My pale, swollen legs really need some color!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I know what you mean about this stuff being hard to find! CVS was sold out for weeks!

Originally Posted by CassBH NI will definitely give it a shot. I am hoping self-tanners are safe to use during pregnancy, as I am currently preggo with twins! My pale, swollen legs really need some color!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
Welcome to MUT Cass. I am Marisol from SF and I look forward to getting to know you.
Congrats on your pregnancy! How far long are ya?
15_2_126.gif

Originally Posted by Marisol Welcome to MUT Cass. I am Marisol from SF and I look forward to getting to know you.
Congrats on your pregnancy! How far long are ya?
15_2_126.gif

Thanks for the welcome, Marisol! I am a makeup artist from Boston and was so excited to find this site!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
I am 7 months along, c-section scheduled for Aug. 9th, and we are having a boy and a girl! Very excited! That is, except for my pale, veiny, white legs
icon_sad.gif
. Nicole is right. "Shorts" season came out of nowhere, and I was totally content to hide beneath pants for the rest of the pregnancy!
Cass

Originally Posted by Naturally Welcome to MuT CassBH ..I'm Kim from Delaware! Hi, Kim! Thanks for the welcome
icon_cheesygrin.gif
I saw beneath your name that you are the skincare moderator. Do you happen to know if self-tanners are safe to use during pregnancy? My guess is that they are, since they just color the surface of the skin and can be exfoliated away, but I thought I would ask anyway.
Thanks,

Cass

Kim - YIKES! I found a few baby-oriented websites that say these lotions are safe, but obviously what you found says otherwise. I guess I will wait and check with my doc, though one of the other OB's said she was not sure either way. Guess I'll play it safe and be white for the next 2 months
icon_cry.gif

Thanks so much for the info,

Cass

Welcome Cass! I'm Janelle from NY. Congrats on your babies!!

Enjoy youself & hope to chat soon
wink.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 Welcome Cass! I'm Janelle from NY. Congrats on your babies!!
Enjoy youself & hope to chat soon
wink.gif

Thanks, Janelle....do you have any favorite self-tanners? Might be looking for some after the babies are born! 'Course, who knows? I may be holed up in the house for some time, where no one really cares about my pasty legs
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Cass

Originally Posted by CassBH Kim - YIKES! I found a few baby-oriented websites that say these lotions are safe, but obviously what you found says otherwise. I guess I will wait and check with my doc, though one of the other OB's said she was not sure either way. Guess I'll play it safe and be white for the next 2 months
icon_cry.gif

Thanks so much for the info,

Cass

Hi Cass,
Wow, Kim had some really good advice and info. I'm now hesitating about using self -tanners myself, and I'm not preggy or breastfeeding at the moment. Perhaps you should just forgo the tanners and put some sunscreen on and sit in your backyard at your leisure! A little vitamin D should be good anyway. Also, I wanted to mention to you, instead of shorts, it's fun to wear some cute sundresses when you're preggy. During my pregnancies, I'd opt for some clingy, stretchy sundresses, that showed off my belly. Don't have to be maternity dresses. However, I did stretch out some of my dresses to wear I can't wear them anymore.
icon_redface.gif
Regardless, the most important thing is to take care of yourself and your little ones. Stay cool and take care! Keep us posted on your pregnancy!

Dior Bronze worked for me! Its expensive - $27.00 but I tried the Jergens and Coppertone self tanners and they both smelled bad and looked orangey.

I just wrote a review on this - I'm so pleased that I finally found a good one.

Also, as far as drugstore brands go, I tried and recommend Oil of Olay Quench Reviver is SUPER subtle, but is by far, the most natural looking and 99.9% goof proof self tanner I have tried out of all the cheaper brands. I recommend that over the Jergens any day.

Latest posts

Back