Participating in medical studies

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For some reason everyone calls me crazy to participate in medical studies. They all ask about pain or side effects and don´t understand why I would ever do this.

The reason is: you get good $ for it! And it usually doesn´t involve a lot of time.

I´ve participated in a pharmacological study in the past, and the $ was awesome, and all I had to do is take aspirin/placebo and get my blood examined a couple of times.

So next week I will do 2 more medical studies. I will get a tube inserted in my stomach (through my mouth) in the 1st study, and a nasal tube+rectal tube inserted in the 2nd study. Each take about 1 hour and you get $100 for each study.

A lot of medical students do this, because we have easy access to those studies as we´re at the hospital a lot anyway. Plus, we´re not scared of the procedures that are done in the studies because we know about all the pros and cons, and side effects.

So what´s your view on this? Do you think I´m crazy for going through this just for the cash? I mean of course the rectal tube worries me LOL, but I need the $ to pay for tickets to the US to see my fiancé.

Haha so yeah I`m basically whoring out my body
laughing.gif

Andi, people do much, much worse for cash. Don't worry about people judging you for this. They are really just talking about themselves when they espouse their squeemish feelings about medical studies.

Hey, if it works for you and you don't mind a tube getting shoved down your throat, up your butt, whatever, that's fine! Like Nox said, don't worry what other people think!

Hey i admire you for doing this.... for both reasons.... cash and for the study!!! I would like to know aliitle bit more abut it... maybe i could it???? What preliminaris did you have to do???

Here in brazil we can't receive money for participation on a study.

If you are comfortable with it don't worry about peoples thoughts. We should all be thankful for those like you.

Wow, I don't know if I'd be down with a tube shoved up my bum! lol.

At least it'll help you out with seeing your fiance, though!
smile.gif

I see no problem with participating in studies for money.

In Canada, doctors/students apply for grant money for studies (usually).

Some of the money they receive is given to participants for expences such as travel, time, etc.

I would do more but I am on a lot of meds that may interfer with studies.

Originally Posted by Sreyomac /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hey i admire you for doing this.... for both reasons.... cash and for the study!!! I would like to know aliitle bit more abut it... maybe i could it???? What preliminaris did you have to do??? well we always get sheets with all the details about the study, so we can take everything into consideration before we decide to participate. And you can drop out of the study at any point you want.
For pharmacological studies you can´t be on many meds, because they are likely to interfer with the drug you have to take for the study.

And females have to take a pregnancy test before they enter the study. Lots of studies only want males because they obviously can´t get pregnant during the study, which is important cause new meds can possibly harm the fetus.

For this study I will only have to swallow a test dose of the substance to see if I react on it in a stronger than usual way, if not the full dose can be administered and then the gastric tube can be inserted.

Originally Posted by lia_matos /img/forum/go_quote.gif Here in brazil we can't receive money for participation on a study. hm, who would participate in a study then if it´s not for the payment? Unless it´s patients who participate and then would benefit from a new kind of treatment or something.

There is a fragrance panel I participate in for $5.00. its not much but its lunch money during the school year. I do agree that people do a lot worse for cash. Plus you are helping out in a study so..yeah

Originally Posted by empericalbeauty /img/forum/go_quote.gif There is a fragrance panel I participate in for $5.00. its not much but its lunch money during the school year. I do agree that people do a lot worse for cash. Plus you are helping out in a study so..yeah lol, true. I sell my body, but not in a prostitute-kinda way
add_wegbrech.gif
The things you do for science lol

Originally Posted by Andi /img/forum/go_quote.gif well we always get sheets with all the details about the study, so we can take everything into consideration before we decide to participate. And you can drop out of the study at any point you want.
For pharmacological studies you can´t be on many meds, because they are likely to interfer with the drug you have to take for the study.

And females have to take a pregnancy test before they enter the study. Lots of studies only want males because they obviously can´t get pregnant during the study, which is important cause new meds can possibly harm the fetus.

For this study I will only have to swallow a test dose of the substance to see if I react on it in a stronger than usual way, if not the full dose can be administered and then the gastric tube can be inserted.

hm, who would participate in a study then if it´s not for the payment? Unless it´s patients who participate and then would benefit from a new kind of treatment or something.

We ask for volunteers - and most studies here are profiles, interviews, those kind of stuff...
I think it's good for our country, because we have a lot of poor people here - many would become 'professional testers' i think

Latest posts

Back