Passing down the knowledge to the broke and glamorous

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
my work did a "surprise" lay-off last Friday, and it was very upsetting, my carpool buddy, and one of my closest friends did not make the cut. she's a single mom who does not a regular child support and has very expensive makeup and skincare habits (she's the girl who does all the top non-surgical cosmetic work from another thread).

my friend and i took her to the mall to buy her a new outfit for a holiday party she's going to, and while we were there, we went to sephora,where i told her to choose three items that she has been dying for, and the three of us had little samples made of those three items and gave them to her. when you are broke and fabulous... sephora will always give out samples.

she chose Strivectin-SD, Bare Escentuals Medium Bare Minerals, and NV Perricone Eye Therapy.

we have quite a few Sephoras near us so if she hits them up every two weeks, and alternating stores, she'll be all good. not that ever have issues giving samples. Sephora is good like that.

im around only 3 of them so i gotta be picky.

although i hored samples from nordstroms.

especially perfume samples.

That sucks! Sorry about your friend. If she goes on interviews, she can always go to MAC at the Norsdtroms and get a free make over. May lift her spirits and make her feel confident.

That's terrible and right at the Holidays. I hate it when companies do that. Yall were awesome to take her out though.

How horrible!! I hope she can change her makeup habits, it will be good for her until she can get a job to pay for it again.

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. That really sucks that they did that so close to the holidays. How sweet of you all to take her out though. I know that you said she really likes high-end stuff but the drugstore makeup products have gotten SO much better and there is so much there that I just love.
smile.gif

That stinks she was laid off, but it's so nice what you chicas did for her!

and just before christmas! that's awful. God corporations are *******s sometimes!

that was really sweet what you did for her
smile.gif

Originally Posted by pinksugar /img/forum/go_quote.gif and just before christmas! that's awful. God corporations are *******s sometimes!
that was really sweet what you did for her
smile.gif

I garee with Rosie!!!
Jen, that was soooooo sweet of you babe
smile.gif

that was really cool of you to do that,I hope she is able to find something else before christmas

Awww, what a bummer about her losing her job! You're a great friend for helping her out!

Originally Posted by Marisol /img/forum/go_quote.gif That sucks! Sorry about your friend. If she goes on interviews, she can always go to MAC at the Norsdtroms and get a free make over. May lift her spirits and make her feel confident. the makeovers are free?
unsure.gif
i thought you had to buy something first

Layoffs suck and are scary! Im sorry your friend is going through such a hard time.

We've had a couple of major layoffs here, a couple from Intel and then the PNM (New Mexico Utility company) also had a major lay off recently.

I always wonder how some of you afford the pricey make-up.

Read, Im totally jealous!!!

She will get back on her feet soon, especially w/good friends.

There are **NO** Sephora's here in New Mexico!! =(

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your friend. I hope she finds another job real soon. Fingers-crossed.

Originally Posted by enyadoresme /img/forum/go_quote.gif the makeovers are free?
unsure.gif
i thought you had to buy something first

Only at Nordstroms they are free. Part of their customer service.

i told her as well that she can go to Sephora as well and get a makeover before the big Christmas party, AND restock on samples. but then i just said screw it, i'll just get off early and do her makeup.

the outfit we got her is very cute. it was the One-Day sale at macy's-

i looked for a pic, no luck : (

it's hard to keep a job when you work in the Building Industry and the housing market is such crap. it's not our work;s fault... i blame it on crappy loans and people who didnt read the fine lines on their sub-primes.

currently, she has cut back to drugstore makeup, but honestly, it does not sit well on her face. i think i am going to try to sample some minerals for her.

to boot, she's a single mom. she got a MINIMAL raise over the summer, and it pushed her out of her bracket in her apartment complex, and they raised her rent 40%.

Latest posts

Back