Pilates

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm very interested in Pilates. While I was at school last year, I signed up for a fitness pass which let me take any classes I wanted whenever I wanted. I mostly opted for kickboxing and Yoga-lates which was a mix with Yoga and Pilates(obviously, haha). When my friend and I were about to do Yoga-lates for the first time we were convinced it was going to be relaxing while toning us up.
icon_lol.gif
Yeah right. It was really tough- but definitely noticed improvement with my "core" quickly! Anyway, now I'm home and can't go to classes, so I got a couple dvds from the library. The first one was Denise Austin and I have to say it's really good, though it's more aerobic and not 100% Pilates. Also, she gets kind of annoying with the "This is my favorite stretch!" every single stretch or "You'll have a beautiful bottom!". I think she might be on speed or something. Anyway, so that one's good, but gets kind of boring after a while. The other one is really strange. It's Lynne Robinson(she's british)'s Weekly Workout. It seemed like it was going to be great, but it was like...nothing! With the weight section, she did each thing maybe twice...how the heck does that help? Anything she did, she did only once or twice. I really feel like nothing's going on there! It's different than the other Pilates experiences I've had, where I've definitely broken a sweat and gotten my heart rate up a little. Is it worth it? It just doesn't logically make sense to me. Also, any other suggestions for dvds I should look for? I really do like this, it's fun and easy and I do feel toned when it's the right kind! Thanks!

I took kickboxing and stretching this last quarter of school, and i got my butt kicked. i was actually embarrassed to say that for a while, especially about stretching, but it's true. because i loved these classes so much, and noticed results, i got a dvd at target that has one yoga workout and one pilates workout. i like it alot. i never knew the difference between yoga and pilates, but now i do. both yoga and pilates are great toners because i do not want to lose weight, i just want to get ripped!!!! ok, not really ripped, but i want to get really toned. i like the dvd. it's a good workout. if you want the name of it let me know. i also want to sign up at a gym, not for the machines, but the yoga/pilate/kickboxing classes. i am yet to find one. :icon_love

OH, by the way, if by any chance you have the blockbuster thing where you get movies by mail, you could get workout vids in the mail, try it out for a week or two, send it back, and then try more, etc. i also like the fitness mags, i subscribe to shape and just subscribed to fitness mag last week. they have a lot of helpful advice on good workout vids, etc. i love those magazines, i feel healthy just reading them!!!
icon_eek.gif
oh, and my mom works out to denise austin, and i think it's for people who cant move well or who are prone to injury, or at least the workouts my mom does with her. so i think, although she seems like a nice interesting lady, she probably isnt for you (but for my mom!!!).

Originally Posted by jennyb I took kickboxing and stretching this last quarter of school, and i got my butt kicked. i was actually embarrassed to say that for a while, especially about stretching, but it's true. because i loved these classes so much, and noticed results, i got a dvd at target that has one yoga workout and one pilates workout. i like it alot. i never knew the difference between yoga and pilates, but now i do. both yoga and pilates are great toners because i do not want to lose weight, i just want to get ripped!!!! ok, not really ripped, but i want to get really toned. i like the dvd. it's a good workout. if you want the name of it let me know. i also want to sign up at a gym, not for the machines, but the yoga/pilate/kickboxing classes. i am yet to find one. :icon_love

Yeah my mom likes Denise Austin, too. I think mostly like middle-age women like her for some reason...they play her on like Lifetime and stuff I think. haha. Anyway...thanks for your help! What was the name of that dvd you have? It's less than a month before I go back to school, so I'm going to be taking classes and stuff ASAP.

I love pilates!!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
I have all of the Winsor dvd's (well almost all, I think - she has a lot!) and the big body band. I just bought her 2 'Burn" dvd's - one is like 50 min. the other is around 20 min I believe... supposed to be more targeted to fat burning. I havent' tried them yet, but her other dvd's are great, so I'm sure these will not be disappointing.
icon_cheesygrin.gif
I also have a dvd by Crunch, and another that is a bootcamp type dvd... forget the name - but it has like 10 min. each of a bunch of different types of exercise... (pilates, yoga, kickboxing, tae-bo, etc.) If you can - I'd try some of the Winsor's ... you can find some cheap on Ebay.
wink.gif

i want to try pilates, but the gym classes are always packed. and i would be embarassed that i wouldn't be able to do it while everyone has no problem with it. haha

the name of the dvd is body target; hips and thighs. you can get one for abs, upper body, etc.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by Liz i want to try pilates, but the gym classes are always packed. and i would be embarassed that i wouldn't be able to do it while everyone has no problem with it. haha Some how I DOUBT you'd look bad doing anything, Liz!! lol
wink.gif
Don't worry though... the movements are pretty easy. And most is done on the floor... gotta love the workouts where you don't really have to move much & don't sweat a lot!! LOL
icon_cheesygrin.gif

LOL Liz...I feel that way, too. Thankfully, in the classes I've been in, if I'm doing something wrong, the instructor will help and move my body to where it needs to be. (I needed it especially in the Yoga parts of the Yoga-Pilates). It's kind of embarassing...but not really. You'd rather be doing it right and be slightly embarassed than be doing it wrong and hurting yourself!

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it!

Latest posts

Back