pilates?!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

man

Reaction score
I heard lots of good things about pilates, but is it really that great?

I heard that it makes your muscles leaner and toner and in the long run it will make you look taller and leaner, is that true?

Is it hard or easy work out?

Which is the best: going to the gym or getting a dvd?

i've tried a dvd and it really is hard. lol.

it's up to you if you want to be in a class or more comfortable at home.

I ordered a pilates machine off QVC about 3 yrs. ago and I love it! It even comes with a video. I use it every other day and also the elliptical in between and it has kept my body toned!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Pilates is excellent. It really does help with the muscles to become toned but not bulky. I think it's one of the best forms of excercise. I vote for the DVD. That's what I use. Also FitTv is great if you have satellite and can get that channel. They have pilates programs on all the time.

I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE pilates!!! Its a killer on your muscles *you feel it!* but you don't feel like you're killing yourself doing it, and there are no tricky moves where you feel uncoordinated... Its awesome!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

You could see whether there are any classes going on in your town/city..some classes are designed for different fitness levels. Alternatively you could try yoga..it's very good for the body too, and if you can't find any classes you always have the option of purchasing a fitness video, i don't think much of the exercise things you see on tv..often they move at too fast a pace and you don't get to do the full work out. Hope this helps!

YourOneAndOnly

It is really wonderful, I love it :icon_love .

Now if you have time go to a Gym since there you'll have more fun ,but If you get the DVD which is what I did, you can work out at any time in your home and then just go a hit the shower (what I do) Don't like messy Gyms
eek.gif

And don't worry the DVD is really easy to follow, I got mine from a Rogers's store and is a set of 3 DVD 1) 20 min 2) 1 H 3) Basic step by step.

I'm loving my legs and abs.

I got the Pilates tapes from those infomercials, the whole set LOL You have to have good strength in your abs just to do the beginner tape.

I prefer Yoga, but the show I used to tape on Oxygen isn't on anymore
icon_cry.gif

I have the Windsor Pilates exercise program. Some of that stuff is really hard but it works! I haven't done it in awhile. I guess I should pull the dvds out.

I took a pilates class last year and if I recall correctly the instructor said pilates mostly focuses on your abs. I took a beginners class and wasn't very insterested in it because it was too slow for me. It seemed to me that all we were doing was flexing or contracting our muscles and holding it there for several counts. Does any one here think the same thing?

Regards,

R. Annia

Pilates rocks. I tend to go through phases where I get really lazy about working out. However, I was able to stick with my Winsor Pilates DVD's longer than anything else. Just did the 20-minute DVD every night after work, and I saw serious results -- no kidding. (And I'm not on Mari Winsor's payroll, either.)
biggrin.gif

Pilates is hard, but worth it. I recently took my first class, and I felt a difference for days after. I am getting ready to schedule at least one class a month, and use videos at other times.

Pilates is great! U should try to take a couple classes first so u get the hang of the movements then u can do it at home on ur own.

I dunno if this helps but I used to teach a Yoga and Pilates class in a gym... I find that it is easier and more motivating to take a class in a gym rather than going at it alone at home...

It is very easy to forget or "have something else to do" so that you don't do your tapes every night. Even for me, I wish I still taught my class because it was so much fun with all the people you get to know, you are all in it together...

Anyway, just my opinion...

Very true about the motivation factor unless one is "disciplined" but even then, so many things pop up amd interfere.

Originally Posted by Annia I took a pilates class last year and if I recall correctly the instructor said pilates mostly focuses on your abs. I took a beginners class and wasn't very insterested in it because it was too slow for me. It seemed to me that all we were doing was flexing or contracting our muscles and holding it there for several counts. Does any one here think the same thing?
Regards,

R. Annia

I bought the tapes, but I didn't keep up with it. I think if you are looking for "long run" it might be a good workout, but I like to see results right away. Maybe I was doing it wrong, but I barely broke a sweat!

I really love pilates. They boosted my energy levels, helped strengthen my back and neck, and toned my abs- quickly. I think they're only difficult really at first, and you realize how weak your core is, but once you get the movements down, you'll begin to feel truly graceful. I haven't been able to do them the last couple of months, because my schedule has been insanely hectic, and now that I'm volunteering at my son's school I'm just exhausted from being on my feet all day. I really miss how wonderfully energized and fit I felt after an hour of pilates.

Latest posts

Back