Please help! Period problem!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got my period when I was 13 years old (I'm 14 now) and I still haven't told my mom or sisters. I feel really emberrassed about having it, and I'm not that close to any of my family members. My mom never talked to me about periods or anything like that and she treats me like I'm 5 (so does my dad). My parents were very rude to my sister when she got a boyfriend (that they knew about) at the age of 18. It's like they don't accept us growing up and always want us to sit on their laps and hug them. I thought to myself that I'll just not tell my mom about my period, because she would find out later anyways. And I knew I would never tell my dad. But yesterday the worst thing happened. I was with my dad and he was going to get a new passport. I asked if I could come in with him. I had my period (and still do now) and had some pads in my pocket. We went over too two men telling us to put everything we had in our pockets in a basket like thing. I stepped back as my dad put his stuff in it, and I was so scared. Then the man said "you too, miss" and I thought I was gonna die. I had three pads in my pocket and wrapping from another one. I put them in the basket but my dad didn't see at first. Then the man put the basket right beside my dad and he started to stare at it. Then all of a sudden he became very quiet as I put the pads in my pocket. That day was so awkward and it's like I can't look at him anymore.  I just hope he wont tell anyone. I need help! Does anyone know what I can do to make this less awkward?? I feel so embarrassed and I just wish I had left the pads in my pocket!

I know it can be awkward but there is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of.  Every woman goes through this.  It's a part of growing up.  I wouldn't worry about it too much. 

The way I see it, you have one of two options, ignore it and eventually everything will go back to normal, just grin and bear it for a while or take the bull by the horns and talk to your Mom about the incident and see what happens.  But do know this, either way, it will get easier.

Been there, done that. Best thing to do is get a small makeup bag - you can pick cheap ones up at dollar type stores or at places like Target or Walmart for a few buck - and keep your pads in that. You can also get free samples from Being A Girl (their Facebook wall) from time to time which some times comes with a cute little travel bag. I think they're out of samples right now but check back with them periodically (no pun intended). I've given each of my daughters a reusable bag to keep in their locker at school and they each carry another one on them.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. It is a naturally part of growing up and somethin every female everywhere has to deal with.

I'm sure your dad was more embarrassed then you. 

Take the other ladies advice about purchasing a small makeup bag or something similar to keep them in.

Originally Posted by katana /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wouldn't worry about it too much. It is a naturally part of growing up and somethin every female everywhere has to deal with.

I'm sure your dad was more embarrassed then you. 

Take the other ladies advice about purchasing a small makeup bag or something similar to keep them in.
Thanks, what you said made me feel better. And I'm pretty sure I'll buy a small makeup bag!

Its pretty expected the girls at the age range of 11-14 will get their periods.  Its when they don't that girls should worry.  Its all part of growing up.  Men, when confronted with embarrassing moments tend to pretend it did not happen or forget it did not happen.  Periods are never a topic men wish to start nor participate in.  You'll not have to worry about your dad mentioning anything.  Women know how to clear a room of men and that's to talk about periods or PMS.  That stuff will freak any man out. 

LOL Not the two men in my life - my husband and my best-friend's husband. They have no qualms talking about it - to a certain extent of course. Ed, my friend, was a EMT so to him it's no big deal. The hubby got over it a long time ago because with four females in the house - myself and our three daughters - he's the one who gets stuck going to the stores to buy pads and tampons. LOL

It is a natural part of life and unless there is a medical reason your parents know it would happen. Your mom might already know as you do buy pads and she might feel hurt that you didn't talk to her about it when it happened. I personally had no choice when it happened to me as I ended up being crippled with pain. Unfortunately it can be a bit awkward but it is a part of life. Really you shouldn't care if he or your mom or anyone else knows. I'm surprised you took the initiative and bought your own pads. Most kids would just get their Mom to do it for them. This to me shows that you are indeed growing up and becoming a responsible young adult! Congratulations on that because many people become young adults and don't show an ounce of responsibility. Take the high ground and talk to your mom. You can say something like "Mom, I know its kind of embarrassing for both of us but I have my period and I was scared to tell you and then this incident happened with Dad and now I don't know what to do about it." You don't need to hide something like this. I think you will feel better once its out in the open. they can't treat you like you are a 5 yr old when you have matured and are growing up. Well they can but they shouldn't and communicating with them about how you feel and why may help the situation. 

That's my suggestion Hope this helps!

I think all girls feel kinda embarrassed or ashamed to an extent so don't feel bad. I remember a friend in middle school not telling her parents either and she would just use toilet paper. Your a woman and I bet in a year this will just seem like an everyday part of life. I agree get your own little cute bag and just carry your goodies in there.

i agree with ur point perlanga as we know females are so sensitive and they need to be so comfortable everywhere Common sense is the knack of seeing things as they are, and doing things as they ought to be done.

Hi

I understand how embarrassing it is, And the worst is If you got stain during that days.

But don't stress, Take some good bags where you can cover your sanitary napkin or use some good Period Panties . So at least you will again not face any such situation with others. 

Latest posts

Back