Podcasts

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since I am in love with my iPod and constantly listen to it (I am geek, I know!), I recently upgraded my iTunes and now I have the option to get Podcasts. Can anyone tell me what is the big deal about them and can you recommend any?

TIA!

Hi Marisol,

I have no idea as to your question, but I am wanting to get an ipod. I was thinking of the mini, but wanted to know what you have and what you like/not about it?

Thanks

Jennifer

i have an ipod mini in pink (it's actually my sister's, but we share) and i have no idea what podcast is. i'm actually using itunes right now, updating my playlist, and i don't see the need to use anything more.

jen, get a regular mp3 player. these ipods are overrated. i just bought it for my sis because she's 13 and all of her friends have one and she wanted one. my other sis has a regular mp3 player and it has more features.

Originally Posted by lovesboxers Hi Marisol,
I have no idea as to your question, but I am wanting to get an ipod. I was thinking of the mini, but wanted to know what you have and what you like/not about it?

Thanks

Jennifer

I love my iPod. I have the 20 gigabyte model and I use is everyday. I have it so I can listen to it at work and also in my car. So far, I have about 2000 songs in it and still need to add more to it. I just like the fact that I can fit so many songs and that I can listen to them at anytime. When I travel, it has kept me company. I also have a few audiobooks.
I do agree with Jennifer in that some people think they are overrated. I like mine because its simple to use, iTunes makes everything so much easier and for me it was worth the price.

The only bad thing was the battery at first. It wasn't kasting as long as the manufacturer said but the more I charge it, the more the battery last. It usually last 8 to 9 hours... not bad.

Podcasting is a method of publishing files via the Internet, allowing users to subscribe to a feed and receive new files automatically. It became popular in late 2004, intended largely for downloading audio files onto a portable audio player. However, listening to podcasts does not require a portable device and it is not traditional "broadcasting" to a mass audience at a fixed time.

The word "podcasting" was coined in February 2004, combining "broadcasting" with the name of Apple Computer's iPod audio player (although podcasting was not invented by Apple, nor do podcasts require a portable player or Apple software).

It is distinct from other types of online audio delivery because of its subscription model, which uses the RSS 2.0 file format. Podcasting enables independent producers to create self-published, syndicated "radio shows", and gives broadcast radio programs a new distribution channel. Listeners may subscribe to feeds using "podcatching" software (a type of "aggregator"), which periodically checks for and downloads new content. Some podcatching software is also able to synchronise (copy) podcasts to portable music players. Any digital audio player or computer with audio-playing software can play podcasts. The same technique can deliver video files, and by 2005 some aggregators could play video as well as audio.

Hi Marisol, sorry i can't help you with your question, too technical for me...lol

Sounds as though you know what your doing thou.

Originally Posted by Pauline Hi Marisol, sorry i can't help you with your question, too technical for me...lolSounds as though you know what your doing thou.

You crack me up Pauline!

Originally Posted by MacForMe Podcasting is a method of publishing files via the Internet, allowing users to subscribe to a feed and receive new files automatically. It became popular in late 2004, intended largely for downloading audio files onto a portable audio player. However, listening to podcasts does not require a portable device and it is not traditional "broadcasting" to a mass audience at a fixed time.
The word "podcasting" was coined in February 2004, combining "broadcasting" with the name of Apple Computer's iPod audio player (although podcasting was not invented by Apple, nor do podcasts require a portable player or Apple software).

It is distinct from other types of online audio delivery because of its subscription model, which uses the RSS 2.0 file format. Podcasting enables independent producers to create self-published, syndicated "radio shows", and gives broadcast radio programs a new distribution channel. Listeners may subscribe to feeds using "podcatching" software (a type of "aggregator"), which periodically checks for and downloads new content. Some podcatching software is also able to synchronise (copy) podcasts to portable music players. Any digital audio player or computer with audio-playing software can play podcasts. The same technique can deliver video files, and by 2005 some aggregators could play video as well as audio.

Yikes!! Can I have the "Podcasting for Dummies" explanation LOL I'm an IPOD newbie so I'm still figuring how to edit a playlist
icon_eek.gif

Originally Posted by SHEILAB13 Yikes!! Can I have the "Podcasting for Dummies" explanation LOL I'm an IPOD newbie so I'm still figuring how to edit a playlist
icon_eek.gif
Ask and ye shall receive!Podcasting is a method of publishing files via the Internet, allowing users to subscribe to a feed to receive new files automatically. It became popular in late 2004, intended largely for downloading audio files onto a portable audio player. However, listening to podcasts does not require a portable device and it is not traditional "broadcasting" to a mass audience at a fixed time.

What do you need help with? As I mentioned before, I love my iPod.

Thanks for some info on the ipod. An ipod seems to be pretty easy to use as far as itunes. I dont know much about mp3's and I am afraid that would be difficult for the more computer challenged like me.
icon_rolleyes.gif
What can an mp3 player do that ipod doesn't? Does anyone know?

Thanks again

Jen

Thanks again Marisol, see told ya I didnt know much about this stuff.
icon_rolleyes.gif
I think I will just stick with ipod. Do you think a mini has enough capacity?

Originally Posted by lovesboxers Thanks again Marisol, see told ya I didnt know much about this stuff.
icon_rolleyes.gif
I think I will just stick with ipod. Do you think a mini has enough capacity? It depends how much capacity you want & how much you are willing to pay for it. Also, do you want it to work out? The mini iPod is rather light so its easy to carry around.

Originally Posted by Marisol Ask and ye shall receive!Podcasting is a method of publishing files via the Internet, allowing users to subscribe to a feed to receive new files automatically. It became popular in late 2004, intended largely for downloading audio files onto a portable audio player. However, listening to podcasts does not require a portable device and it is not traditional "broadcasting" to a mass audience at a fixed time.

What do you need help with? As I mentioned before, I love my iPod.

I love mine too. Its a green one & I named her Lily Pod
smile.gif
My hubby has one too but we have different tastes in music so the library has lots of songs and I have to select the ones that go onto his. Is the only way to get a song from the library to a user playlist is to drag it there?

Yes, I am really wanting it to work out with, cleaning my moms house, etc. I love the size of the mini, I am just wondering about capacity for songs. That's why I am holding off. I would hate to get the mini, find out I want more music on it. However, the size is great.

I have the 3rd Gen. ipod 15GB - have about 1200 songs in it and got thousands more to go!! lol I have the itrip - which I use in the car... so thats an awesome extra. I love my ipod, and I think its small enough - the mini isn't THAT much smaller, but the amt. of songs it holds is... I would rather have the bigger pod, and never have to ever delete a song to make room
wink.gif

Originally Posted by lovesboxers Yes, I am really wanting it to work out with, cleaning my moms house, etc. I love the size of the mini, I am just wondering about capacity for songs. That's why I am holding off. I would hate to get the mini, find out I want more music on it. However, the size is great. The new mini iPod that they most recently came out with (6 GB) has the capacity of 1,500 songs and its $249. For an extra $50, you can get the 20 GB and it holds 5,000. Its really up to you how much space you need. Here are some comparisons for you:

mini ipod

measurements_02222005.gif

This is an armband that it you can purchase for it.

armbandanime_02222005.gif

20GB iPod (the one I have)

beautyshot_ipodphoto_050627.jpg

Here is a link that shows a side by side comparison.

Latest posts

Back