Poison ivy rash

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a small patch of poison ivy. What dries it up the fastest? I got calamine lotion, and it has done nothing at all to relieve the itch or dry it up.

From eHow.com

Introduction

Poison ivy is found all over the United States - especially east of the Rockies - and in Canada. The symptoms of contact dermatitis, the itchy rash that results from the skin's exposure to poison ivy, take at least three weeks to completely disappear. Follow these steps to make yourself a little more comfortable.

Instructions

Difficulty: Moderate

Steps

Step One

Immediately wash everything that might have touched the plant. You may be able to remove the offending oil completely or at least reduce the impending rash.

Step Two

Soothe itching with cool, wet compresses.

Step Three

Add approximately 5 c. ground oatmeal or baking soda to a cool bath and soak for 15 to 30 minutes.

Step Four

Add baking soda or Epsom salts to your bath, or make a paste of either of these and apply it to the rash.

Step Five

Opt for lotions containing calamine, alcohol and zinc acetate; these will dry the blisters and help speed healing.

Step Six

Leave the rash open to air. That will help it heal.

Step Seven

Talk to your doctor about taking an oral antihistamine if you are extremely uncomfortable or if the rash is covering a large area of your body.

Tips & Warnings

Avoid topical antihistamines; they are not as effective as oral ones and can cause a rash of their own in some people.

Wash all clothing, tools and anything else that came in contact with the plant. The oil can remain active for a long time on inanimate objects.

Avoid breaking the rash blisters, which can cause them to become infected.

If symptoms persist or if you have specific medical conditions or concerns, we recommend you contact a physician. This information is not intended as a substitute for professional medical advice or treatment.

I had it when I was 12. It sucks SO bad. You gotta go to the doctor, he/she will give you a prescription.

You probably need a steroid cream.. You will need to see a doctor to get a prescription.

Latest posts

Back