POLL: Racial Profiling and flying....

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Suzukigrrl Racial profiling is a step in the wrong direction. Who's to say that it won't lead back to the days of segregation and Jim Crow laws? Well said!
While we're at it, why not just put all Middle Easterners (along with anyone else who could pass) into internment camps like we did with the Japanese during WWII??
eek.gif

After 9/11, my little brother, completely distraught, brought the front page of the newspaper to my mom and showed her the pictures of the suspected terrorists. "I'm scared Mommy. They all look like Daddy." My dad is a Greek and a Christian and just about the kindest man you'd ever meet -- but who can really tell that by looking? So you're gonna beef up racial profiling against Muslim/Middle Eastern men, why does my father get included in that group? Because it all just turns into subjective profiling against men with dark skin.

Originally Posted by Joyeuux Because it all just turns into subjective profiling against men with dark skin. Well Said! It should not be this way!

i second this one. there must be a few steps we could take without having to base our search on skin color.

Originally Posted by suzukigrrl If we ok profiling for brown skinned men on airplanes then what next? Racial profiling is a step in the wrong direction. Who's to say that it won't lead back to the days of segregation and Jim Crow laws? I don't understand why we can't focus more on improving technology so that searches can be faster and less invasive, and so that we don't need to rely on racial profiling. We can clone sheep, but we can't figure out a better security system??

thank you so much gamaki. i think you've gotten to the heart of the matter with this one!

Originally Posted by gamaki You're right Monnie, It's sad. It's sad that we've come so far with Technology yet we can't figure out a way to secure ourselves without making people feel like outcasts. We can sit and chat with eachother from all different corners of the world exactly as we do here on MuT, yet we cannot come up with a security sytem that doesn't descriminate against one whole race or religion because of what happened. As scary as that was, I can't agree with anything that makes people feel bad for just being who they are. It sends the wrong message and It's wrong on so many levels. It's not what FREEDOM is. We should all be free to feel okay to be who we are no matter what color our skin is or what religion we practice. Until they come up with a better solution-we must all be checked if that's what it takes. I would show up to catch my plane as early as needed to be checked right along side of everyone if that's what it takes to be safe and to not descriminate against a select group of individuals.
My BF is Italian from Sicily- and quite dark. He was getting into his car at the mall a year ago or so and some crazy lady attacked him and called him a terrorist and said he should go back to Iran and take all his people with him. She got right up in his face. When he told her he was Italian she backed off and said " oh, you're OKAY then." I was hurt by that.So, it's Ok to be Italian, but not to be Iranian? Put yourself in someone else's shoes and ask yourself how would you feel?

Take the high road. Love instead of hate when you are afraid.

Hugs to all.

Originally Posted by Trisha I think everybody regardless of age, sex or race should have the same checks. EXACTLY!
Here's a good example as to why everyone must be checked. Look at my picture. What nationality do you think I am? I bet nobody could guess even close. And if you can't, you bet your ass the security couldn't either. If they were looking for people in my particular race-I'd get by because I am blonde with blue eyes and fair skin. Where's the security or justice in that???

i haven't read all the replies on this thread but heres my opinion: Yes I support racial profiling of ALL (not necessarily just muslim/middle eastern men but EVERYONE) at airports! It doesn't matter if you're a 5yr old toddler or a 95yr old man.. everyone should be searched the same way and the only one way to do so is by doing things thoroughly!!! It seems like terrorists are being thorough.. then we all should be too! you don't have to be a muslim/middle eastern man to be a terrorist... anyone can. so Everyone(!!!) should be searched equally. again, just my opinion=)

Back