Poor puppy, sad post, sensitive dog lovers be wary

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ok, so this pains me to ask but i have to because i'm so upset about it. My friends stepmom has had her dog (shes a bichon frisee) for 16 years, so maybe puppy isnt the right word to describe her. Anyways within the past few years, she has been sent to all kinds of vets and whatnot for various ailments, some painful like a broken leg, some not painful but bothersome, like cateracts. To a certain point, it only makes sense to help your dog the way you help a person. But it has gone too far and dogs, unlike people we can choose to put out of their misery. The poor dog now has one eye that is completly red because of broken capillaries (think terminator) she limps, she is almost blind, she apparently can only see shadows and she must wear a diaper. She sleeps all day gets lost on the way to find her water, which you have to put in front of her half the time and seems just so miserable.

im so upset that her stepmom is keeping her around and uncomfortable because she will miss her dog. That poor dog...i cant explain to you how sad it makes me, i almost cried.

am i over reacting? or should this dog finnally be given a break?

its not really advice, but im upset!

I agree with Ohappydayes. I know how difficult it is to put a pet down but at the same time I would hate to see my pet suffer.

Liz you are not over reacting. Feeling this way shows you care about the situation and animals. Hugs to you.
smile.gif

Has your friend talked to her stepmom about the situation?

I definitley don't like to see dogs be put down, but it sounds your friends stepmoms dog isn't doing well at all, and is in a lot of pain. I think it would be best to put the dog down. You have a responsibility as an owner to take the best care of your doggy, and as hard as it would be, it's for the best. You're definitley not overreacting, and you have a right to be upset. Unfortunately, if she hasn't put the dog down yet, she probably never will.

well im glad im not over reacting, (thanks) but yeah she has and the stepmom cant bear to even talk about it...hmph so unfair

I know as a pet owner it is really hard to let go of a pet, their like family. I know in the past when I had a dog, she started to go deaf and blind from old age. Over time I could tell she was suffering, not happy. I made the decision even though it was difficult, to put her down. It wasn't easy but I couldn't stand by and watch her suffer.

Maybe your friends stepmom is having a difficult time and believes her dog will be okay or is wrestling with the idea in her head about putting the dog down but can't bear to do it.

I love my dog like a child and I will not let her be miserable. You have to let go sometime and do the humane thing. It would kill me without a doubt though. You are not over-reacting Liz. You are just a caring person.

Originally Posted by Ohappydayes /img/forum/go_quote.gif As much as it pains me, it sounds like putting the doggie to sleep is the humane thing to do for this doggie. She sounds as if she is miserable. Although I would hate to say goodbye to my doggie, I would like to think I would not put her through this type of torture. I agree!

I had to put my dog to sleep after 17 years. It was so tough. I had her since I was a very small child. We kind of grew up together. She changed a lot in the last couple weeks before death. She would go off on her own and hide behind the furniture and sometimes she'd just shiver. She was near the end and she knew it. We took her to the vet and he told us it was time to put her to sleep. We all got to say our goodbyes. It was so painful, but it was so necessary. She had a great life and prolonging it anymore would have been cruel. I hope your friend's stepmom can find the same peace I did.

Wow Liz. That is so awful. I can't even begin to think how I would feel if in that situation. As everyone knows I love my pets as children, but I couldn't bear to see them suffer a miserable existence. We as Humans are selfish and want to keep things we love close to us. But, it sounds like this little dog is suffering. I think the best thing to do is let her go.

I hope your friend´s stepmom puts that poor dog to sleep soon. Any vet (my dad is one and I have seen numerous animals being put to sleep and it still makes me incredibly sad, also to see the pet owners cry) would advise her to do so, especially since the dog is so old on top of all the health issues.

It´s just not necessary to leave a sick animal in it´s misery if we can change it and put it to an end when there´s no chance of recovery anymore

Originally Posted by BeneBaby /img/forum/go_quote.gif Wow Liz. That is so awful. I can't even begin to think how I would feel if in that situation. As everyone knows I love my pets as children, but I couldn't bear to see them suffer a miserable existence. We as Humans are selfish and want to keep things we love close to us. But, it sounds like this little dog is suffering. I think the best thing to do is let her go. Well said!
I agree with all of you.

sigh, thanks for the advice girls, sadly, there is nothing i can do short of suggesting my friend does it while shes out of town and say she passed away in her sleep. Im going to speak with my friend again (who agrees whole heartedly) and i dont know...it just upsets me to know that little muffin is prolly in alot of pain
frown.gif

Theres a line that needs to be drawn. Im sure if her mom was in the dogs position she would want to be put down as well. Its not fair to the dog to be kept alive in the state that its in. Poor thing. Hopefully your friend does it while her mom is out of town.

I work in an animal hospital and unfortunately we see cases like this all of the time. We have many people who bring their dogs in for us to groom and the poor things are so old and miserable, it breaks my heart to put them through it when they should be allowed to pass.

I have told owners before two things: If they have more bad days than good, it's time to let go. Also, sometimes you have to love them enough to let them go.

frown.gif
i keep thinking about her, it makes me so sad, my friend was saying tonight how hard ( emotionally) is it to change her diaper

Latest posts

Back