Popsugar Must Have July 2016 box *spoilers*

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pineapple here.. worse box I have seen! - terrible box.  No napkins and thats ok   ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I have 3 more months on my sub and I am done. I can get better junk at Home Goods for less money. 

I loved my first, waffled on my second, hated my third, but WTF is this box???

It's not worth $15...

A cheap scarf (again) that has threads coming off it ($30 are you kidding me?!?).  It's just terrible quality.

An ugly butt pineapple pin? ($12?!?)  Because nothing says you like fruit like wearing it around... apologies if anyone liked the pineapple, but seriously reminds me of something my great, great aunt would wear as pieces of flair to pin her ugly scarves (hey, maybe that was the curation connection).

A cheap blowup drink holder - which ironically, I almost considered putting in the box as a $3 item in the fantasy curator, for $18 bucks.  I actually DO have an in ground pool - this swan will be down in a week (pardon the pun).  It's not sturdy enough to hold up long term (when you have four boys and a pool for a few years, you start looking for stuff that won't degrade in the sun or pop at the seams).

Cheap "cocktail napkins" - I have an embroidery machine, I can make these napkins for less than a buck each...  It's plain white cotton, a couple dollars in cheap embroidery thread, 1/10th pack of tearaway stabilizer, a penny in thread to sew the ends over and I'm done... and it would take me literally less than 5 minutes to remake each one.  Worse, I have no desire to look at emojis.  Maybe the hipster/emo crowd would like them, but frankly, I see the majority of subbers to a higher price box to be closer to my demo - suburban moms.

Granted, I know that my craft skills ends up with me being able to make some of the items I get, but when they are so outrageously priced (such as the $30 cheap butt scarf or $25 for cocktail napkins I don't even need), then I have a problem with the quality of a box.

The hair product is way to pricey for my budget, I'll give it a shot but it's rather limited to benefit people with colored hair.  Even still, those products almost never work against chlorine or sea water so...

I so wanted to like this.  I can't seem to find a "home" with a general box, I don't want another makeup box.  I has the sads.

Here's the roundup -

• Sachajuan, $21.80 at Beauty Bay (multiple sites have various prices, but all say limited quantities left - probably a discontinued item)
  • Emoji Cocktail Napkins - These aren't actually "on the market" so to speak.  They were "created for PS".  Technically, since EVERYONE is doing these anyway, you can get a set of 4 for $20 that are cuter and higher quality. https://www.amazon.com/Cocktail-Napkins-Colorful-Embroidered-Hemstitch/dp/B01GLE1HRI
  • Michael Stars scarf - $21 at his own site.  And frankly, he has thicker, cuter patterns cheaper than the one we got.  In fact the blue version at his site is cuter.  These are also on eBay for $10
  • Pineapple Pin - can I say zero?  I want to say zero... You can get so many different styles and types, that Pintrill is the only supplier for Pintrill pins, but Google says I can have a ton of them for a buck.
  • Inflatable drink holder - Another discontinued item.  Here, have a cuter set of 3 so you all aren't scrambling for the same drink holder for $7.83. https://www.amazon.com/GoFloats-Inflatable-Island-Holder-drinks/dp/B00AILC162
  • Brow Highlighter - cosmetics are competitive, I get it.  Brow highlighters are a non-necessity in the first place.  European Wax Center is a hair removal place.  No idea what they are doing with brow highlighters but this market demand is small while supply is high, plenty of cheaper offerings.  They do not sell anywhere else but their site, so no comparable prices but this has been in a lot of different boxes the last few months.
Chips and coupon were "extras" and I think Trove's stuff is too bland and cheap looking to be worth exercising a $20 off when I have to pay $80.  So... yay chips?

As an aside, nearly every one of these items, like the box before it are sold at Nordstrom's.  Why don't I just save the money, grab a coupon and shop the clearance rack myself?  They might as well call this the Nordstrom must-haves.  I feel like it's so terribly curated - like someone walked through and grabbed a bunch of discontinued items and said "Lets throw this in the box, they'll never know!"

Okay, so I got my box yesterday and I think this is the first time I am actually angry with the contents. They actually make me mad.

The scarf INFURIATES ME. So they send a sarong in the Summer LE and a scarf in the July box...too similar in my opinion, but whatever. But of all the scarves in the universe, did they have to send one with the exact same color pallet/style??? It feels like punishment for those of us that bought the LE box, IMO.

The pin is whatever, I'm not likely to use it, but it isn't a super high value item and it is kinda kitschy cute. 

The hair care - probably the only thing in the box that feels like it belongs in a PS box, to me anyway. Not a great win for me, but at least it will get used. 

The napkins. Oh lord. I want to burn these. They feel so cheap and chintzy. I can't stand how childish they look. Emjois? Aren't we grown a$$ adults? Plus, I feel like they aren't even a decent size or material. Like they would get one use and be done. (Sorry for anyone who is likes them, no intention to offend.)

The drink holder. I do not like this. At all. I have no way of using it, nor does anyone I know. But I get it, people who live in FL probably don't really enjoy a pair of gloves. It just seems like a kick when I'm already down about the other contents. 

I don't mean to offend anyone who liked these items, I just feel that I signed up to PS to get a thoughtfully curated and "adult" box. This box to me felt like someone was trying to target college sorority girls or something, I don't even know. The items feel so juvenile and cheap to me. This it the first box I have really had a problem with. 

Don't know if this is even worse but the similar sarong was in the  regular pop sugar must have June box. So bizarre.

Last edited by a moderator:
The most exciting thing in my box is the coupon for a free eyebrow wax at European Wax Center, because there's actually a location near where I live. I get my eyebrows threaded, so I won't be using it, but you can bet my mom will jump on it. She can't pass up anything free.

That is.... horrifying?

I can't even... nipple?!
Yep. I'll try to attach a pic. image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to go to the Urban Outfitters site to see if they are really selling that nipple pin and sure enough its for sale for $10 here is the description:

Details

Product Sku: 39575865; Color Code: 070

Gold-tone pin for whether you're a frequent user of #freethenipple, or if you still maintain your middle school sense of humor. Shiny metal plating features enamel fill to create a shadowed bubble letter effect. Finished with a rubber clutch backing. Only at Urban Outfitters.

What in the world?

Well after all this I kinda like my little flamingo now. He's non-offensive and kinda cute. I might just pin him to my beach bag and call it a day. I don't like to pin my clothing since it leaves a hole.

The scarf doesn't bother me at all. I wore it yesterday and it's a great light weight scarf. I want to try it in my hair or as a headband. I don't really mind that the colors are the same as the sarong in the LE Box, it's neutral enough to go with almost everything. 

The napkins and pool float are totally perfect if you're going to a pool party, great hostess gift, but I don't go to many pool parties so I'm just selling mine on ebay. I think I'll make enough on them to nearly cover the cost of the box. Easy peasy. 

I did an "unboxing" for my boyfriend and showed him this box contents and he said "this box is kinda...underwhelming" I think it's because I had already ate the chips and he didn't get any. LOL!  

I am speechless how crappy this box is. I was spoiler free until today. Two stuff I am going to use -- the highlighter and the free eyebrow wax. Who was the mastermind of the curation of this box? it looks like they just hauled clearance stuff from Tuesday Mornings.

Latest posts

Back