Powder Brush recs?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

Looking for an amazing powder brush. I'd like something super soft, possibly with at least 50% squirrel hair.

And any thoughts on what the ideal shape is? I notice that MAC has the 136 which is more tapered and the 150 which has the more usual flat bottom (or top!).

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I have the MAC 150 but haven't used it yet. Right now, I'm just using MAC 129 for powder. It's supposed to be a blush brush but IMO it works for powder, powder foundation, etc. MAC 150 does have a fuller head though.

That's the only powder brushes I have/use. Sorry I can't be more help but I'm sure the other MuT ladies will have much more to say!
icon_biggrin.gif

*edited* I meant to day I have the 150! Sorry!

I just checked out the pics of the 136 brush. I prefer the 150. It's standard but gets the job done!

I would recommend the Smashbox #1. I have 2 of them and they are definitely amazing!! It is made of blue squirrel and it is very soft and applies powder beautifully!! It costs $42 and is worth every penny of it! I also have another powder brush by A-Squirrel and it is just about as good as the Smashbox brush. It is very soft, but not as soft as SB - still quite good nonetheless. It can be seen/purchased on the a-squirrel.com site if you want to take a look at it.

Those are my 2 recs..... both brushes are terrific!!!

Originally Posted by MacSux Hi,
Looking for an amazing powder brush. I'd like something super soft, possibly with at least 50% squirrel hair.

And any thoughts on what the ideal shape is? I notice that MAC has the 136 which is more tapered and the 150 which has the more usual flat bottom (or top!).

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2nd Smashbox. Very good quality brush for the price.

Also add:

Fresh Powder Brush #1
P9308_hero.jpg

Trish McEvoy Brush #5
10486U.jpg

Kevyn Aucoin Large Powder
300.jpg

Each are amazingly soft & worth every penny.
biggrin.gif

First - I rec. the Kevyn Aucoin of course!

Second - Nicki, what do u know about A'squirrel????

Nicki?
icon_confused.gif

Originally Posted by KMEFH First - I rec. the Kevyn Aucoin of course!
Second - Nicki, what do u know about A'squirrel????

Originally Posted by Never2muchMU Nicki?
icon_confused.gif
Hehehehe, typed faster than my brain thought, srry bout that! Any way and input on the comp. or their products?

LOL!!! I just thought I missed someone.
icon_redface.gif

Anyway, A'Squirrel is excellent imho! I have two sets of their brushes because they very often have specials and I was lucky to get in on one of them. I have the set which has a few squirrel hair brushes and a couple of goat hair brushes. Both are quite nice, but the squirrel is much softer than the goat hair (of course). I have had no problems w/shedding or anything else.

I dont know that much about company because I went out on faith and bought from them after they were recommended to me by a friend (who also was pleased w/the brushes). I did have contact w/customer svc a couple of times and they have always been outstanding and prompt w/replies and solutions. I will definitely buy from them again if anything ever happens to my brushes.

One negative is the e/l brush that came in the brush set.....IT SUCKS!! It is no where near the quality standard of the other brushes. It is the skimpiest thing I've ever seen in my life and it's not worth getting!!

Aside from that.... A'squirrel is great!

Originally Posted by KMEFH Hehehehe, typed faster than my brain thought, srry bout that! Any way and input on the comp. or their products?

Originally Posted by Never2muchMU LOL!!! I just thought I missed someone.
icon_redface.gif

Anyway, A'Squirrel is excellent imho! I have two sets of their brushes because they very often have specials and I was lucky to get in on one of them. I have the set which has a few squirrel hair brushes and a couple of goat hair brushes. Both are quite nice, but the squirrel is much softer than the goat hair (of course). I have had no problems w/shedding or anything else.

I dont know that much about company because I went out on faith and bought from them after they were recommended to me by a friend (who also was pleased w/the brushes). I did have contact w/customer svc a couple of times and they have always been outstanding and prompt w/replies and solutions. I will definitely buy from them again if anything ever happens to my brushes.

One negative is the e/l brush that came in the brush set.....IT SUCKS!! It is no where near the quality standard of the other brushes. It is the skimpiest thing I've ever seen in my life and it's not worth getting!!

Aside from that.... A'squirrel is great!

Actually i was looking into a train case of theirs and wondering if they were a reputable company to order from, but this helps just the same! so thanks!

I can find out about the brush in a little while, i'll come back and edit this. This is omething i should know!!

Latest posts

Back