Powder: Is it really [un]necessary?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
so, i really don't like wearing make-up daily (i don't like how foundation feels on my skin, except for one brand of BB cream for special occasions and that's it), but i wear nail polish almost every day and a lip product every day, and i occasionally wear eye make-up if i feel like it. i'm more concerned about having skin that looks great without make-up. except, my skin is acne-prone, so it's nightmare trying to achieve the dream.

i was wondering: do i really need powder? i understand that if you have acne-prone skin, you're not supposed to use pressed powder, only loose powder. but apart from [aesthetically] mattifying your skin, what else does it do for you?

i'm guessing that although on one hand it may help absorb oil, it may also clog pores?

also, FYI, this is my current skin care regimen:

• Biotherm Biopur Pore Reducer Gentle Purifying Gel (but i plan on replacing that with the more affordable The Body Shop Tea Tree Oil Facial Wash)
  • Biotherm S.O.S. Normalizer Normalising Exfoliating Lotion (i'm still trying to figure out whether i need Cure Natural Aqua Gel in addition)
  • Biotherm S.O.S. Normalizer Normalising Moisturising Care (i also plan on replacing this with Clinique Acne Solutions Clearing Moisturizer because it's better priced)
  • Orlane Anagenèse 25+ First Time Fighting Eye Contour (as soon as i've finished up The Body Shop's Wise Woman Eye Cream)
  • whatever lip balm i have (most of the time contains SPF)

none of these companies have powder in their acne lines/oily skin lines. is it because it's unnecessary? thank you.

Powders absorb sebum and mattify is pretty much what it is intended to do.  Tinted powders offer some coverage and those that contain titanium oxide and/or zinc oxide offer some physical sun protection.  I wear powder to set my bb cream and take away the shine.  I prefer mineral foundation which is also in powder form.  If you are acne prone, it may help you clear up your skin to use mineral foundation over nothing at all.  The foundation keeps dirt from directly entering your pores, it give sun protection and it keeps some moisture close to the skin but wicks oils away so it doesn't mix with dirt and clog your pores.   

thank you so much for the advice! EVERYONE says i should start using mineral make-up. :|

but i really liked that you taught me something about titanium oxide and zinc oxide. i'm trying to figure out a good routine: http://peppersasen.onsugar.com/trying-figure-out-good-regimen-22664784 but none of the moisturizers that for my acne have SPF and it's been stressing me out. i will definitely be hunting for good loose mineral powders with titanium oxide and zinc oxide. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I don't think that if you have acne prone you can't wear pressed powder--you just have to find the right one for you. I have super greasy acne prone skin, and pressed powders have never bothered me. But! Try to look for ones that are non-comedogenic, which means that they won't clog your pores. If you want something that is non-comedogenic and fights acne, check out Almay and Neutrogena's stuff. It can be hard to find what works best for you, so good luck!

thank you for recommending brands that worked for you. i just found that Neutrogena has:

pity the mineral powder doesn't come in translucent and are all tinted.

i think i want the third one but i don't know what my skin color is... 0_o

Quote: Active Ingredients: Salicylic Acid (0.5%, Acne Treatment)Inactive Ingredients: Talc, Dimethicone, Zinc Stearate, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Polyethylene, C12 15 Alkyl Benzoate, Nylon 12, Retinyl Acetate (Vitamin A), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Ascorbyl Palmitate (Vitamin C), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Pantothenic Acid, Panthenol, Petrolatum, Polysilicone 11, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea, Calcium Silicate (Anticaking Agent), May Contain:, Mica, Iron Oxides

*Iron Oxides = Zinc Oxide?

Clean&Clear claimed to be non-comedogenic and they totally clogged my pores (i'm guessing it was the SPF that did it, it was ugly). my pores are still "recovering" now. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

edit: i think i'm #2 or #3 based on this: http://www.amazon.com/Neutrogena-SkinClearing-Mineral-Powder-Buff/dp/B0033PSM7C

I'm would have to say that facial powder is way better than liquid make-up,  Especially in warm weather.   But if you are going to use it, go with a mineral powder.  You don't want to clog your pores, but you do want to keep your face from showing perspiration.

Here are some more recommendations:

Physician's Formula Healthy Wear SPF 50 Powder Foundation

TheBalm Balmshelter Tinted Moisturizer

Both of these are great for summer, since they're so light, and also are non-comedogenic. Also, one more thing: the mica and bismuth that's found in a lot of mineral makeup can cause a reaction in some, making them break out. That's why I had to stop using Bare Escentuals--I was getting painful cystic acne all over my face because of those ingredients. 

I have acne prone skin and I could never go without powder due to my oily skin.  I use mac blot powder and this has helped prolong my foundation by hours. I love it.

thank you for the input everybody. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Mazumah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm would have to say that facial powder is way better than liquid make-up,  Especially in warm weather.   But if you are going to use it, go with a mineral powder.  You don't want to clog your pores, but you do want to keep your face from showing perspiration.
i really dislike the feel of liquid make-up on my face anyway (and the thought of that stuff melting away in warm weather! euw). :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

i'm not even looking for "coverage", or even helping from not showing perspiration (truth is, i really like the natural dewy look, but i know it's bad to indulge in it because if nothing's absorbing my oil, i'm left with acne). in fact, the less coverage and the more translucent the better for me, because the more it will keep me motivated to clear up my skin. i just need to clear up my acne and then make my skin look good for my "Le No Make-Up Look".

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Here are some more recommendations:

Physician's Formula Healthy Wear SPF 50 Powder Foundation

TheBalm Balmshelter Tinted Moisturizer

Both of these are great for summer, since they're so light, and also are non-comedogenic. Also, one more thing: the mica and bismuth that's found in a lot of mineral makeup can cause a reaction in some, making them break out. That's why I had to stop using Bare Escentuals--I was getting painful cystic acne all over my face because of those ingredients. 
thank you for the recommendations. i did end up ordering a mineral powder. i ended up ordering this: http://www.drugstore.com/neutrogena-skinclearing-mineral-powder-natural-ivory-20/qxp232717?catid=183558 (i read a review somewhere that Buff (#30) is very orange, so i got #20 which is more of a cool/pink undertone). it's quite affordable. for some strange reason i always had this impression that mineral make-up is expensive, so i never took anyone's advice to check it out!

and thanks for mentioning bismuth. i don't think this contains bismuth. need to do more research on mineral make-up. i thought it would NEVER cause acne. but again, i was wrong. just like how i was wrong when i assumed they're all expensive and yet i got a mineral acne powder for less than $15.

Originally Posted by Adrienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have acne prone skin and I could never go without powder due to my oily skin.  I use mac blot powder and this has helped prolong my foundation by hours. I love it.
i don't wear foundation or blot powders, but i do use a blot PAPER. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> actually i use a LOT of blot paper. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

i've never bought anything from MAC. the people at the store tend to be really snotty for some reason (i don't get it because the sales assistants/MUAs at other high-end counters like Dior, YSL, Orlane, Biotherm, Clinique have been SUPER friendly to me). but i guess it's their problem, not mine. because i Googled "rude MAC employees" and there are tons, and i mean TONS of videos about it. i'm just too intimidated to go there. and too insulted to buy anything (although the new nautical line is tempting). but MAC doesn't have any skin care products, do they? they're purely about make-up?

I use a powder foundation - Cover Girl Simply Pressed Powder - and I find that it provides the same good coverage as a liquid does. It also really helps to cut down on shine (which always shows up on my nose).

I prefer powder to liquid any day.

It's already in the 90's and liquid foundation just melts on me and gathers condensation.

Now I use Bare Minerals, and so far I like it. I do have acne prone skin but I'm on a plethora of Rx drugs (topical & oral) that keep my face clear. I've had no problems with their foundation so far, but I only began using it this year.

Originally Posted by TeresaDouglas /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I use a powder foundation - Cover Girl Simply Pressed Powder - and I find that it provides the same good coverage as a liquid does. It also really helps to cut down on shine (which always shows up on my nose).
is that for normal skin? i wouldn't dare use a product that's not for oily skin. do you have an acne problem?

Originally Posted by amberlamps /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I prefer powder to liquid any day.

It's already in the 90's and liquid foundation just melts on me and gathers condensation.

Now I use Bare Minerals, and so far I like it. I do have acne prone skin but I'm on a plethora of Rx drugs (topical & oral) that keep my face clear. I've had no problems with their foundation so far, but I only began using it this year.
did you consult to your dermatologist before you started using Bare Minerals or were you just lucky that it didn't make you break out? because my dermatologist lets patients come to her for advice on over the counter products (she recommends Clinique foundation and stuff like that) and she lowers the Rx dosages. how long will you be on Rx drugs?

I hate foundation. I feel like i have paint on my face, and for me i feel it makes me look older as it clings to any fine lines.. I think if you have dark under eyes, use a light weight concealer, i like the benefit concealer, and then use a light weight powder like a mineral powder which is TALC FREE and therefor does not clog your pores. I use Lavender silk finishing powder by Jurlique. If you check out their FB page i think they are giving away free products in a promotion.

Latest posts

Back