Pressed Mineral Makeup

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Jane Iredales MMU in pressed form, I love it, I think it gives a fabulous finish, but like with the loose MMU, a little goes a long way, so you have to get just the right amount on your brush otherwise you'll look like a cake face. I find the pressed better than loose, you use a lot less product, and get the same results.

Originally Posted by Ronnie /img/forum/go_quote.gif I bought a kit that allows you to press your own mineral makeup. It was pretty easy and I like it but either I goofed up or something because it doesn't seem to hold together as well as conventional pressed makeup. What I mean is the powders seem to require a very light hand or they'll break or fly everywhere. I'm supposing that this is because in order to make a pressed powder that holds together, you have to have a binding agent of some sort. This is where the extra makeup ingedients come in, and it seems that those same ingredients that are used to bind the powder together are also the ones that give makeup a short shelf-life. Oils that go rancid, starches that feed bacteria....blech.

you can buy minerals in loose form then press it yourself with 1 part glycerin and 2 parts water...

oh ye i heard that the edm presspowder suck and heard tht the coverage is too full and cakey..

I like Pur Minerals pressed powder. It lasts forever and the coverage is very nice and natural.

I've pressed my EDM eye shadow using rubbing alcohol. I just mixed it into a paste, put it into the palette I wanted to press it in and then used a quarter covered in a clean cloth to press it. It turned out really well.

you can make your favourite loose powder into a compact (if you have the correct containers). fyrinnae has a powder modifier that is for making loose powders into solid powder, or for reviving gel eyeliner. its a lot simpler than buying pressed powders as the same name may have a completely different color.

Ames101--That's very interesting to hear. Fyrinnae's powder modifier is designed specifically to press loose mineral powders? I think that sounds definitely worth looking into.

The Fyrinnae powder modifier is particularly for e/s I believe but I could be wrong. I have pressed a shadow with it and it works really well for that.

I think the Powder modifier was originally designed to be used to press e/s, but on the product page it mentions that it can be used on other powders. Also, unlike the glycerin and water, water, or alcohol pressing methods; the modifier claims that bacterial growth shall not be an issue. the reason for this is that there is a tiny amount of preservative in the product. I'm not sure what preservative they've put in there as they claim to be a vegan company, but it sounds like an awesome product

I've tried Pur Minerals (only stays on 2hrs) Senna (no color match) and EDM (only stays on 5hrs) I find pressed can look cakey, require a really good moisterizer (to avoid cakyness) , look less glowy and dont stay on as long :-(

HTH

I just put little pieces of clear tape over the holes in my sifter when I travel to keep the mess at bay. That or scoop a little out into a left over sample baggie.

Has anyone found any pressed powders that last, and can cover hyper-pigmentation?

Thank you

Originally Posted by Wism /img/forum/go_quote.gif I've tried Pur Minerals (only stays on 2hrs) Senna (no color match) and EDM (only stays on 5hrs) I find pressed can look cakey, require a really good moisterizer (to avoid cakyness) , look less glowy and dont stay on as long :-( HTH

Were these the pressed powder versions? If so, how was the coverage on EDM and Senna?

Thank you so much

i'm using physicians formula healthy foundation, with spf 50. i believe its made of minerals. colors are limited tho, ok coverage not as good as bare escentuals

Originally Posted by KellyB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jane Iredale has pressed minerals and a large color selection. I haven't tried it so I can't give a review. It's expensive though. I think $48

It's MUCH cheaper on Ebay or Amazon!!

Pressed mineral foundation is something that's good for dry skin (oils are added as pressing medium) but for my oily skin powdered versions are better. Rule of thumb - the creamier the pressed foundation, the more oil there is. EDM was very creamy and I had tough time using it - gave it away eventually.

I recently reviewed The Conservatorie mineral pressed foundations (medium coverage), you can read the review on my blog (link below).

Back