Price vs. quality of hair products?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tried Biolage, Redken, FF, ArTec and some other high end products and I'm still not satisfied. I was happy with Biolage for a while but no more. From the drugstore I've tried Pantene, Garnier, Vive and nope not happy either. I have naturally wavy hair which can get pretty frizzy if I try to do too much to it.

Last year my stylist in Miami gave me this great shampoo and conditioner, but God help me I can't remember what brand it was. They came in a frosty white plastic bottle with some form of Asian writing on it and the product was a violet color. The shampoo kept my highlights from turning brassy and the conditioner was thick as mayo and left my hair baby soft, silky and shiny. They smelled delicious. I just loved it. I'm still searching for them every time I hit a beauty supply store.

Sometimes, it is hard to say I have used very expensive and inexpensive products that didn't do anything for my hair. It think it is just trying what works best for your hair.

I like Paul Mitchell, Redken, Matrix, BigSexy Hair, TiGi- but I also love the L'oreal Vive and the Brilliant Brunette line which I think it amazing!
icon_smile.gif

Originally Posted by Liz Do expensive hair products = better product? Or are you buying it just for the name?

Originally Posted by Sofia I've tried Biolage, Redken, FF, ArTec and some other high end products and I'm still not satisfied. I was happy with Biolage for a while but no more. From the drugstore I've tried Pantene, Garnier, Vive and nope not happy either. I have naturally wavy hair which can get pretty frizzy if I try to do too much to it. Last year my stylist in Miami gave me this great shampoo and conditioner, but God help me I can't remember what brand it was. They came in a frosty white plastic bottle with some form of Asian writing on it and the product was a violet color. The shampoo kept my highlights from turning brassy and the conditioner was thick as mayo and left my hair baby soft, silky and shiny. They smelled delicious. I just loved it. I'm still searching for them every time I hit a beauty supply store.

Sally sells a brand "Biotera" that has a white bottle, purple product, and smells good - might be similar to what you used!?
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Liz does anyone know if frederick fekkai is anygood?

I have only tried his olive oil glossing line and i feel that the best product is the glossing creme. It smells great, it does a good job of controlling frizz and making hair soft. As far as the shampoo and condition go, i would definitly pass on those. The shampoo was ultra thick and didn't lather well enough and the conditioner was so so
So i guess its better to use the best of both worlds
icon_wink.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 First I'd like to welcome Arky to MuT!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
I'm Janelle from NY - nice to meet you!
I think that there are high end products that are better than cheaper ones, and then again, there are some inexpensive products that are great! It really does depend on your specifc hair needs. Some more expensive products are designed for certain problems... and sometimes their ingredients are a better quality. It's all mostly trial and error. The only problem with a lot of inexpensive products is that there are fillers and waxes that only are temporary fixes. And sometimes these ingredients weigh hair down, or strip it of natural oils, and it can be a result you aren't expecting. Professional products are designed by professionals in the hair care industry and they tend to analyze more thoroughly when creating a product. They know specific needs and take into consideration what people want. The products are a part of why your hair looks great when it's done at the salon. The majority is the talent of the stylist. But I think that if you can use a professional product, you should try it... because in general - I do think they are better. But more and more inexpensive brands are finally trying to catch up to the better formulas - and making better products. So honestly - you have to try different things until you find what works for you. I tend to get better results from high end stying products... but really don't see much difference when it comes to a shampoo or conditioner. Unless they are for a specific hair condition... you can usually get away with cheaper shampoo & cond.'s. The stylers- I find most professional lines are better.
icon_cheesygrin.gif
sorry for rambling! lol

Really helpful, Thanks J!And welcome to MUT Arky

Originally Posted by Leony Really helpful, Thanks J!And welcome to MUT Arky

Welcome!
smile.gif
I just re-read that... I sound like a ramblin' fool!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
lol

I am one of those people who can get generally get away with using cheaper shampoos and conditioners, because I have thick, healthy hair ( I don't blow dry very often, and can't use curling irons because they don't curl my hair, and I can get my hair straight if I blow dry with the flat nozzle,so no flat iron, either) I am currently using the Suave Professionels Humectant, and I like it for being a basic cleanser and conditioner. I do like BBW's Bio Straight and Sleek leave in conditioner for when I do blowdry. I have heard good things about Sally's knockoff of Biosilk silk therapy and other salon brands, and brilliant brunette, so I will look into those once I use up what I have, just for a change
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Oh, I have also tried redken, MOP, Biolage, amplify, and Back to Basics, and my hair hasn't suffered by using drugstore, but I think that if you color or have very processed hair, specialty products are probably best.

You are buying a name!! Simple way to tell is just read the ingredients and inform yourself as to what to look for. For example all efficient hair care products should contain proteins, wheat, silk, amino, soy...

Also just another bit of info, being that I started making my own products a few years ago, I order all my ingredients whole sale and I can tell you these people make a fortune by charging these amount for there products. No offense to Paul Mitchell fans, as I used to be a model for them, but their hair care products are not the best. The only hair care products I've really found that have some great ingredients are Nexxuss, Aveda, Nioxin isn't too bad and I do like the Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Line, but either way the majority of hair care products I've seen do not contain a whole lot of beneficial hair care ingredients, just look at the bottle, they all contain tons of cheap chemicals..every word you have trouble pronouncing is a cheap chemical lol. The bottle that you pay 15$ for cost them not even a dollar to make. It's such a rip-off, thats the main reason I started making all my own products a while back.

Originally Posted by Liz Do expensive hair products = better product? Or are you buying it just for the name?

I just started using Suave's Professional line after using semi-expensive salon brands for months and I am loving it....my hair is so soft!

i use products for african american hair such as: mizani, dudleys, and my husband just bought me some pantene pro v for women of color(haven't tried it yet). i mainly go to the beauty shop every week or every other week to get my hair done.

Back