Primers and Mattifiers

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have a question. I am looking for something that will help keep my foundation fresh looking all day, which I hear that primers do that. I am also looking for something that I can apply that will keep my t-zone shine free. What is the difference between a primer and a mattifier? Does anyone have any reccomendations for someone with normal/oily combination skin? I appreciate your suggestions.
icon_biggrin.gif

I heard that, surprisingly, the primer that comes in one of cover girl's foundations is really good. Also, DHC's primer has gotten really good reviews. I have not tried either. I kind of spot treat with my foundation, use it like a concealer, but have been interested in a primer recently b/c of the heat!!! I'm not sure about the difference between a primer and a mattifier. I'm thinking, now this is an educational guess, that the primer is to set your foundation and make it last longer, while a mattifier is to control shine all day??? Hope I helped, but I'm probably not the best person to answer your question.

I use MAC Matte Cream. Its great to use all over the face for a clean, matte finish, or to eliminate shine on the t zone. Surprisingly, this product works equally as well as a primer to help make-up stay put all day, even eye makeup (although I use Urban Decay primer potion on my eyes). MAC Matte is definitely a well worth it multi-purpose product!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I think alot of the girls on here like Laura Merciers Primer but i tried it and unfortunately it broke me out. I've also heard Smashbox's Photofinish Primer is excellent for normal/combination skintypes. You should try and get a sample first before buying though

Thank you guys for the helpful information. I will definitely try to get a sample of each of these products so that I can see which one works best for me.

Originally Posted by jennyb I heard that, surprisingly, the primer that comes in one of cover girl's foundations is really good. Also, DHC's primer has gotten really good reviews. I have not tried either. I kind of spot treat with my foundation, use it like a concealer, but have been interested in a primer recently b/c of the heat!!! I'm not sure about the difference between a primer and a mattifier. I'm thinking, now this is an educational guess, that the primer is to set your foundation and make it last longer, while a mattifier is to control shine all day??? Hope I helped, but I'm probably not the best person to answer your question.

Thanks for the reply. I am going to see if I can get a sample size on ebay.
icon_smile.gif

Originally Posted by Trisha a bit late, but another vote for Laura Mercier primer, if it agrees with your skin, its great, really keeps my MU looking fresh all day and helps it last longer x

Devin, my LM primer is sitting at home not being used. PM me with your address & i'll send it to you. I'd prefer someone using it than it taking up room in my stash!!

For mattifiers (which are used to prevent shine), my dermatologist recommended Clinac OC Oil Control Gel, which I can never find in stores but you can ask any pharmacist to order it for you, since you don't need a prescription. I've also tried Sally Hansen Cornsilk Mattifier, since I've heard a few recommendations on this site. However neither of these products really make much of a difference for me -- but I have very oily skin so maybe nothing will work for me! lol

Actually the best product I have for keeping my face matte is my CoverGirl Professional Loose Powder! Only $5 and much better than my dermatologist-recommended Prescriptives powder!
smile.gif

I don't know anything about primers though!

thank you so much Laura!! i sent you my address.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by Laura Devin, my LM primer is sitting at home not being used. PM me with your address & i'll send it to you. I'd prefer someone using it than it taking up room in my stash!!

thank you for the info. i will definitely look into it.
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by girl_geek For mattifiers (which are used to prevent shine), my dermatologist recommended Clinac OC Oil Control Gel, which I can never find in stores but you can ask any pharmacist to order it for you, since you don't need a prescription. I've also tried Sally Hansen Cornsilk Mattifier, since I've heard a few recommendations on this site. However neither of these products really make much of a difference for me -- but I have very oily skin so maybe nothing will work for me! lol
Actually the best product I have for keeping my face matte is my CoverGirl Professional Loose Powder! Only $5 and much better than my dermatologist-recommended Prescriptives powder!
smile.gif

I don't know anything about primers though!

i will have to try that as well, b/c i really like a lot of Mary Kay's products. i am using the 3-in-1 cleanser right now.

Originally Posted by luckystar131 Try Mary Kay's Oil Mattifer, everyone I've sold one to loves it!

Originally Posted by ikebana I use MAC Matte Cream. Its great to use all over the face for a clean, matte finish, or to eliminate shine on the t zone. Surprisingly, this product works equally as well as a primer to help make-up stay put all day, even eye makeup (although I use Urban Decay primer potion on my eyes). MAC Matte is definitely a well worth it multi-purpose product!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
I never even knew they had this!!! I have to look into it!
smile.gif
I've just recently bought the MAC prep+prime Skin... and its actually pretty nice!!! Makes my makeup look so smooth!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Latest posts

Back