Prinze Slays "Buffy" Dreams

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This was one of my all-time fave shows!

Thursday July 28 6:43 PM ET

By Sarah Hall

According to Freddie Prinze Jr., his wife's days as a vampire-hunting slayer chick are through.

Pounding a stake through the dreams of Buffy fans everywhere, Prinze said that chances were slim that Sarah Michelle Gellar would one day star in a film version of her hit series, either for television or on the big screen.

"Not with Sarah," Prinze said during an appearance at the Television Critics Association press tour where he was promoting his new ABC sitcom, Freddie. "I've never heard of it coming back whatsoever."

Prinze said that Buffy the Vampire Slayer creator Joss Whedon "is on the movie train right now, and it hasn't stopped yet. So I think he'll be on that for a while."

As for remaking the series as a feature film, Prinze pointed out that the original 1992 Buffy movie, starring Kristy Swanson and Luke Perry, tanked at the box office.

"It didn't work. That's why [they] made the TV series. It worked much, much better as a TV series," Prinze said.

"It worked so well as a TV show, I don't think Sarah would want to invest in something that's already failed once."

Gellar's next project is the futuristic thriller Southland Tales, written and directed by Richard Kelly (Donnie Darko.)

However, according to her husband, the actress is also eager to make a guest appearance on Freddie, which is loosely based on Prinze's own experience of growing up in a household of women.

"She's asking me more than I'm asking her," Prinze said. But the actor's not looking to bring his real-life sweetie on board too quickly.

"Not in season one," he said, proving for once and for all that he's a "glass half full" type.

Frankly, we're not sure what he's waiting for--it's not as if the twosome haven't shared camera time before.

Gellar and Prinze met and began dating on the set of 1997's teen slasher pic, I Know What You Did Last Summer and went on to make a pair of Scooby-Doo pictures together.

All that time spent working together apparently only fanned the flames of their romantic attachment.

The couple announced their engagement in April 2001 and wed in Mexico in September 2002.

Back