Proactiv?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with those who said it works for some, but not all. That's true of any product out there. Nothing is perfect for every skin. But if you're going to try it you have to commit to giving it a fair chance and use it for a good 2 months before you decide it isn't working. Unless of course, it gives you some kind of allergic reaction then stop immediately! And remember, if you buy direct from Rodan & Fields, it's guaranteed even if the bottles are empty. So if you aren't happy with it, be sure to ask for a refund. The company needs to be accountable when they offer a guarantee like that.

Originally Posted by sugersoul In the short term, it's not extremely expensive. but long run, YES it does add up! i brought the whole travel-size set for $65.00 in canada.

but proactive only worked for me if i used it religiously, and as soon as i stopped, it came back!

so i decided to find a cheaper, more effective way:

go to the dermatologist and get a prescription for Defferin (topical treamtment, only $15, lasts a LONG time) and a prescription of Doxycyclene (anti-biotic). cheaper, more effective, and even if i wanted to stop for a few days, it doesnt effect me!
wink.gif

what does the doxycyclene do? how do you use that. are you clear now?? i was also wondering... is their a medication for acne? like a pill you take everyday? since i dont have REALLY bad acne would i not be able to get something like that?

well i had i guess worse than mild acne maybe severe but i covered it up w/mkup and i went to a dermatologist in march and he prescribed minocyclene which i took everyday for two months than since it wasn't working as fast as i had hoped he put me to 2 pills one day 1 the next but like a month 1/2 later i felt that i was becoming tolerant of it so he prescribed ampicillin which i take twice a day and so far im pretty happy my skin isnt crystal clear but its getting there and i am so much happier that i don't have as much redness and stuff so the only things i use are i use equate makeupremover sheets and then neutrogena moisturizer and murad acne spot treatment on pimples i have and ones that are about to form and it stops those from forming and gets rid of curent zits i would use a cleanser but my skin is soooooooo sensitive anything else makes it dry

but i definately think you can still get pills to control your acne, or you can go on birth control which helps acne

my brother just uses the cleanser--you can order just one if you call...and it has really cleared up his skin

Originally Posted by ayce i honestly wish i never touched proactiv! i didnt really have bad acne but i wanted perfect skin, and who doesnt lol.. but since using it ive been breaking out easily and places ive never broken out of before like my forehead.. ugh. Yeah! The same happend to me I didn't have much acne but because I wanted a perfectly clear face I bought it and it made my skin flare up.
mad.gif
Especially on my forehead so much so that I went to a dermatologist. She told me that Proactive wasn't a good product because it contains salicylic acid which causes you skin to grow a dependency on it.
icon_eek.gif
So, after awhile your skin won't stay clear if you don't use it.
There are many people who swear by it but you should consider other alternatives before you commit.

i have been using proactiv for a long time now.. and its true that it does work better when used religiously, but its easy and quick and helps clear up acne so i think its worth it..

I started to use proactiv back when I was 17 now I am 21 it did work for a time then i had so many breakouts... so i stopped I only use the suncreen i love it... i use Burt's bees it really has helped my skin...its cheaper also

At first it worked for me. My skin did start to clear up, but it looked more red and irritated. Eventually after a couple of months using it I started getting bumps on my forehead and my jaw line. I stopped and started using Neutrogena Pore Refining cleanser and toner and now my skin looks a lot better. I has taken almost two months for my forehead to clear up. The bumps are almost all gone.

i tried proactiv and it makes a difference at first but after about 3 months it stopped making any impact.

How much does a kit cost in your country? Just curious b/c it's pretty expensive in Italy (= € 59.90 / $ 80.81)
rolleyes.gif

I used Proactiv for about three years... Worked great, but then it recently started becoming ineffective, so I've since been experimenting with different skin care regimens. Though Proactiv is extremely drying, if you bear with it, your skin will clear up, but if you have sensitive skin, it may cause more harm than good. It is a benzyl peroxide based medication, and many people have suffered bad reactions to bp before... If you know how to build a good regimen, though, you can get the same effects from drugstore medications.

Originally Posted by Tears_Of_Blood /img/forum/go_quote.gif I was thinking of buying it, does it actually work?? It worked on my friend who used to have massive breakouts. He has thick, insensitive skin and he said that the formula was too harsh. Normally I use Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Cream Cleanser, it contains 2% salicylic acid which helps to prevent & control breakouts.
Pd_00031_00_lg.jpg

I know this is an old thread.. but I just purchased Proactiv on ebay today and I can't wait to try it! My dermatologist (Katie Rodan) helped invent it. She's one of the nicest doctor's I've ever met. She moved away shortly after treating me for cystic acne, in which she had to inject a huge needle of cortisone into my face. I have scars and redness from previous acne problems. I have acne now and it's borderline cystic.. so I am going to try Proactiv just to see what happens. It won't hurt to try. =) I will update in a few weeks!

I used this a couple years ago. It worked for like 2-3 months and then it stopped working. Plus it made my skin really dry and sensitive.

when I had really bad acne before going on the pill it didn't really work for me...although now that I have less pimples it is effective in getting rid of the odd pimple, though I find that it dries my skin like CRAZY...if I apply a thin layer I find that several days later there will be little flakes on my skin and it looks gross.

i think it depends on the type of skin you have. I have sensitive skin and I am allergic to benzoyl peroxide which is a medicatio that is great for acne and unfortunately that is what proactiv has in it. I woke up and one of my eyes were swollen shut my neck and chin and cheeks had broken out in to a red rash. It was horrible. I suggest testing it on a small area of your skin first.

Yeah! So far , so good. I've only used it for two days and I notice that the cystic acne has flattened down and my makeup went on really smooth. It's working!!! haha!

Back