Products that you think are overhyped?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I personally do not care much for Stila products at all. I don't understand why people love them so much, everything that I have tried from Stila is average at best...I do think the texture is nice of Stila products, but definitly not worth the price. I also don't understand the Chanel Glossimier hype lol..but then again I haven't tried them either, so that might change once I do.

I'm with you on Stila and the Glossimers also never understood why everyone liked NARS Orgasm..

La Mer and La Prairie I think are ovehyped. Just because the creams cost over $100 and the cleansing cream and toner around $60 and the foundations around $100 and above doesn't mean the products work any better. I tried both lines and I've tried several other brands and I think the overpriced lines are waste of money.

I agree with all of the above also, Benefit. The products never do what they say but, the packaging is adorable.

Originally Posted by Tinydancer I agree with all of the above also, Benefit. The products never do what they say but, the packaging is adorable. Totally agree. If Benefit's actual products were even half as good as their packaging they'd be a great line lol

I totally agree about Benefit being rubbish. I bought their Badgal black eyeliner and was more than dissapointed that it wasn't as black and smokey as it should have been. I have found other cheaper eyeliners to be darker than badgal. Also i bought Mr Frosty as well, thiking it would be good for the inner eyeline to brighten up the eyes (as suggested) but thought the eyeliner was too frosty and didn't go on smoothly causing a build up of white goo! Also i think YSL Touch Eclat is dissapointing as a concealor, (though more useful as a highlighter).

I guess I have to be the voice of dissent, since I like Stila
smile.gif
Their eyeshadows are nice, and the pans are huge! so the price really isn't that bad, considering you get twice as much as other lines. and I like the quality of their makeup brushes. I also got into Stila because the MA's at the pro store are super nice.

I haven't been impressed with NARS at all, since their stuff is pricey and the packaging is so plain! Plus I wasn't impressed with their MA's.

Totally agree with you on that. After all these hype in magazines, websites, friends, I went out and bought a Stila lipstick and bronzer, which costs me very close to $50 for both items. I think i regret it now, because its way overpriced. I'm thinking of bringing it back soon. HOnestly, I don't think expensive make up means it will be better. Although i would have to say I love the Chanel glossimer. hehe. I got it in Spark and Blizzard, and they work great and stay on pretty long, and not as sticky. The price isnt too bad, because the tube lasts a very long time. If you compare the price to other lip glosses, chanel's glossimer only costs a couple dollars more. Ok, I think I will return my stila products because they really arent worth the money. Do you guys know if any brands carry good bronzers that arent way too overpriced, but lasts all day???

Originally Posted by Mz LaLa I personally do not care much for Stila products at all. I don't understand why people love them so much, everything that I have tried from Stila is average at best...I do think the texture is nice of Stila products, but definitly not worth the price. I also don't understand the Chanel Glossimier hype lol..but then again I haven't tried them either, so that might change once I do.

Yep!! Exactly!!! La Mer isn't as great as it claims and for $90 a bottle, phew. I bought a little sample off of ebay for like almost 30 bucks which lasts me only about 4 times, and it is soo heavy and oily and i really don't see any difference in my skin. That was the dumbest thing i did, buying moisturizer that expensive. I heard that stars like Jlo and other people love la mer and they use it all over their body and blah blah so i thought hey they got great skin, so the products must work. Boy, was I wrong!!! Other brands make better moisturizers thats way cheaper. My favorite is Aveda's alll sensitive line. If anyone else have any suggestions for moisturizer, let me know.

Originally Posted by Reija(admin) La Mer and La Prairie I think are ovehyped. Just because the creams cost over $100 and the cleansing cream and toner around $60 and the foundations around $100 and above doesn't mean the products work any better. I tried both lines and I've tried several other brands and I think the overpriced lines are waste of money.

Remember that La Mer was created by a NASA engineer who was severely burned. I returned a concealer (Philosophy products say better than they pay) & a very nice Chanel rep said that most of the results that 'prove' x-amount of results in x-amount of time are using consumers who have never taken care of their skin. I used to wonder about results that 'everyone' was getting, like what was I doing wrong? Nothing. Makeup companies have learned from computer companies: market something, build up what they'd like to have you think it will do, then put it on the shelves as if it does do that & let the public buy the hype & complain about what it isn't doing so they can avoid spending lots of money on research & development & let us spend the money & give them feedback. Pretty smart of them, pretty dumb of us.

I like Nars Orgasm, but I don't think it should be the cult favorite that it is. Most lip plumpers are also way over-hyped, except for LipFusion XL. That actually does deliver results.

Although Maybelline was the first company to sell mascara, the mascaras I've tried from them are not impressive at all. Lots of other brands perform much better.

Volume Express -- heavy smudging
banghead.gif

Sky High Curves -- the most difficult mascara I've ever tried to remove

Lash Expansion -- smudges

Intense XXL -- Not bad, but nothing to write home about

Lash Stylist -- S**t Alert!

I thought i posted here alread - i must be going loo - laa!!!

I think Touche Eclate is waaaay over hyped. I found L'oreal Touche Magique does exact same thing and its only €11.99.

Benefit cosmetics are over hyped also but im a sucker for thier packaging!!!

Stila lipglazes. Yuck! Soooo sticky and I hate the stupid clicky twist desgin. It never comes out, so I keep twisting and then it all just oozes out. I don't really like MAC all that much either (please don't shoot me!).

MAYBELLINE Lash Stylist for sure. All it provided were clumps. Ew. I'll stick to my Dior & Bourjois mascara thank you very much.

Oh and I personally haven't seen any benefits with using Philosophy's Hope in a Jar... plus it smells mediciny.

EDM, i hate it i look ghostly no matter what color i ordered.

Milani e/s, they are gritty and not good quality imo.

I can't really think of many, but I disagree with the Glossimer statement. I only have one in Giggle, but it is sooooo pretty, lasts long, and is not super sticky. I'd try more if they weren't $25 a pop, lol.

Latest posts

Back