protecting hair from chlorine

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been spending lots of time at the pool lately and I'm worried that the chlorine will mess with my highlights. What should I do to protect my hair. I don't know if it matters, but I have both bleach and actual color in my hair right now. I'm scared that my hair is gonna turn green!

Before you get in the pool wet your hair with non-chlorinated water - your hair is like a sponge absorbing water, so if you allow it to absorb non-chlorinated water first, it won't be able to absorb so much chlorinated water.

You must also condition your hair with a daily conditioner and use a weekly deep conditioner. John Frieda has two ranges that have ingredients that eliminate unwanted minerals and are aimed at protecting your hair. They are the Beach Blonde and Sheer Blonde ranges.

Originally Posted by Marisol Before you get in the pool wet your hair with non-chlorinated water - your hair is like a sponge absorbing water, so if you allow it to absorb non-chlorinated water first, it won't be able to absorb so much chlorinated water.
You must also condition your hair with a daily conditioner and use a weekly deep conditioner. John Frieda has two ranges that have ingredients that eliminate unwanted minerals and are aimed at protecting your hair. They are the Beach Blonde and Sheer Blonde ranges.

I second this, but also when you wet your hair before the pool you can also but conditioner or sunscreen in it to help block the chlorine form getting into your hair, another thing if you get out and your hair begins to dry wet it again.

I read in a magazine that Frederick Fekkai Clarifying shampoo is suppose to be a good shampoo to prevent unwanted chemicals/minerals from the pool. We have a pool and I have highlighted blonde hair and it hasn't turned green this year like it did last year and I've been using this shampoo now. I don't use it every time because I'm worried about it stripping the color.

Originally Posted by Reija(admin) I read in a magazine that Frederick Fekkai Clarifying shampoo is suppose to be a good shampoo to prevent unwanted chemicals/minerals from the pool. We have a pool and I have highlighted blonde hair and it hasn't turned green this year like it did last year and I've been using this shampoo now. I don't use it every time because I'm worried about it stripping the color. Great Idea, because you are clarifying often the chlorine doesn't have a chance to build up on your hair. (aka turn that awful shade of green)

Can you guys recommend any clarifying shampoos that are cheaper than Frederick Fekkai? His stuff is so expensive!

Originally Posted by bonbon412 Can you guys recommend any clarifying shampoos that are cheaper than Frederick Fekkai? His stuff is so expensive! VO5 clarifying, this stuff will strip the paint off a buick. But anyone will do...

I also like Ultra Swim shampoo - it really helps get all the chemicals out. Putting on a leave in conditioner before and after you get out is also a really good way to keep color and to keep hair from turning to straw. Keune's sun Care line is another good option. They keep hair protected from the sun as well as the chlorine or salt water.
icon_cheesygrin.gif
Just be sure to wet your hair before hand and after with fresh water & use a leave in conditioner... and you should still be blonde come September! lol
wink.gif

Latest posts

Back