puppy!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been wanting a dog for the past 5 years, but the first 4, I was in college and knew it wasn't practical. Now I feel like I can finally have time for it! I'm a teacher so I have 3 months off coming up and I think its the perfect time to get a dog so I'll have that time to spend on house breaking before I return to longer hours.

I'm wondering on breeds though. Growing up, I had a dachsund and then a golden retriever. I loved both dogs! Now I live in an apartment and I pretty long hours (at least 10 hours a day) so I'm thinking a small dog that doesn't need a whole lot of exercise and is easy to housebreak and train.

So far, I'm thinking about dachsunds, pugs, and bichons. Any other suggestions from people who have pets in apartments? Also anyone who has those breeds, do you think they'd do well given my situation?

Well, I have 2 pugs and they are great when it comes to training. Both of mine were housebroken within a week (I litterbox trained both of them). I would not suggest getting one pug if you're usually away for long hours. I started out with one (P.J) and it was hard on him. I finally gave in and got Leah to keep him company. However, I would prefer to have just one dog! Two is a handful for sure!!

Since you mentioned that you want 'one' dog, I definitely advise against a pug unless there's others that will be able to spend time with him/her. In my case, there's just me, so again... I had to get two (or so I felt). Pugs are wonderful - very loving, very funny, very greedy, and very NEEDY. Mine are underfoot 24/7. They have to have me in sight at all times so 'alone time' is a thing of the past for me. Overall, pugs are a wonderful breed, but they really require more time and attention than most dogs - either that or mine are just spoiled as hell!!
rolleyes.gif
Oh, one more thing... they shed like crazy. I have to vacuum every single day and that SUCKS!!!
icon_twisted.gif

Oh, and we are in an apartment.

Good luck w/your decision. Let us know what you decide!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by bonbon412 I've been wanting a dog for the past 5 years, but the first 4, I was in college and knew it wasn't practical. Now I feel like I can finally have time for it! I'm a teacher so I have 3 months off coming up and I think its the perfect time to get a dog so I'll have that time to spend on house breaking before I return to longer hours.I'm wondering on breeds though. Growing up, I had a dachsund and then a golden retriever. I loved both dogs! Now I live in an apartment and I pretty long hours (at least 10 hours a day) so I'm thinking a small dog that doesn't need a whole lot of exercise and is easy to housebreak and train.

So far, I'm thinking about dachsunds, pugs, and bichons. Any other suggestions from people who have pets in apartments? Also anyone who has those breeds, do you think they'd do well given my situation?

I love pugs personalities, but my aunt has one and it's definately the princess of the house (and they've got a baby!) But I don't think 2 is smart right now. I have roommates, but we're all gone during the day. And I couldn't deal with the shedding because I'm too lazy to vacuum so I guess that's out
frown.gif

Charms - thanks for the site, I'll check it out!

Oh I had a pug growing up. (Mingtoy) ..they're so sweet... Hey,they shed., so be prepared to do some extra vacuuming!!!!

I also had a black Cocker, "Dino" - they're great....friendly breed....

Then I had 6 Scottish Terriers - You think one or two are a handful....try 6, with a litter on the way!!!.... They were great... - There's a LOT of little Dog in them., They think they're GREAT DANES, and can take on anything !!!!... Fantastic breed....

Had a Doberman after the Scottie's - (not by choice) - my cousin was getting divorced, and had no place to keep him when she downsized into an apartment., so, K*O* to the rescue.... - won't recommend this for an apt., this breed needs to RUN, and be exercised, or else they'll chew up everything in your house from boredom!....

Have you considered a Cat ????

I'm not a cat person. I like animals that want my attention! I've always loved dogs, but I have a hard time bonding with cats, even when my roomie in college had 2 of them. Dogs just have a much more fun personality! I'm gonna go check out some breeders this weekend and see what I think then. I really wish I could get a golden retriever, but not enough space for that yet
frown.gif

Originally Posted by bonbon412 I'm not a cat person. I like animals that want my attention! I've always loved dogs, but I have a hard time bonding with cats, even when my roomie in college had 2 of them. Dogs just have a much more fun personality! I'm gonna go check out some breeders this weekend and see what I think then. I really wish I could get a golden retriever, but not enough space for that yet
frown.gif
I hear ya....I was never a cat person either, but now I have 3 !! go figure!

If you can rescue a dog from the pound, I'd go w/that first. Chewbacca is 1/2 Shih Tzu, 1/2 Bichon & is a lot of fun, but is quite a monster. He loves to chew on things, but since I work out of my home, I can monitor a little better.

Here's some sites that helped me understand his breeds in order to understand him more:

http://www.bichon.org/

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/shihtzu.html

Definitely did a great job in preparing me for him & knowing what to expect in terms of growth & weight.

He's a bit anxious & kind of has separation anxiety. He can deal w/me being gone for a few hours, but if he knows I'm outside, he'll bark until I come get him or back inside the house. I don't know which side it comes from, but he has characteristics from both breeds. As much as I love him, he's a bit much @ times.

I'd talk to some breeders before making a decision. They'll ask you questions about your lifestyle & will tell you whether or not it's a suitable match.

Good luck!

I have a Yorkie, she is very easy to take care of
icon_smile.gif
:icon_love

Originally Posted by bonbon412 I've been wanting a dog for the past 5 years, but the first 4, I was in college and knew it wasn't practical. Now I feel like I can finally have time for it! I'm a teacher so I have 3 months off coming up and I think its the perfect time to get a dog so I'll have that time to spend on house breaking before I return to longer hours.I'm wondering on breeds though. Growing up, I had a dachsund and then a golden retriever. I loved both dogs! Now I live in an apartment and I pretty long hours (at least 10 hours a day) so I'm thinking a small dog that doesn't need a whole lot of exercise and is easy to housebreak and train.

Originally Posted by lilla I have a Yorkie, she is very easy to take care of
icon_smile.gif
:icon_love I want a Yorkie so bad. Do they shed alot? Is that your only pet?

They don't shed and they have such soft hair... I brush mine a few times a week and then some hair gets to the brush. But definitely none during the rest of the time. I have a cat also and he sheds not much tho... but he is a silly cat and I love him a lot so his shedding doesn't bother me much. My yorkie will be 13 this July
icon_sad.gif
It hurts me that she is getting old and yet she acts just like a puppy full of love for me
smile.gif
My cat is 2 and half years old and he has still kitten energy in him
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by stacie0129 I want a Yorkie so bad. Do they shed alot? Is that your only pet?

Hi bonbon412,

I think you would be a great dog owner as i can tell just by the way you are writing and thinking of the dog's welfare. I am an animal lover myself. I was thinking perhaps you could get 2 small dogs, so that when you go back to work they can keep each other company.What about Yorkshire terrier's or a Scottie? PLEASE let us know what you decide,i wish you alll the best!

Originally Posted by Pauline Hi bonbon412,I think you would be a great dog owner as i can tell just by the way you are writing and thinking of the dog's welfare. I am an animal lover myself. I was thinking perhaps you could get 2 small dogs, so that when you go back to work they can keep each other company.What about Yorkshire terrier's or a Scottie? PLEASE let us know what you decide,i wish you alll the best!

I agree!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Latest posts

Back