Purging help

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I figured I'd try anyway. I have way too much makeup and I'm never going to use it all. I have 2 storage units filled up with products and would really like to downside. Thing is, I've found myself sort of attached to my makeup, which is really stupid! I guess I'm sort of worried I'll miss the product after swapping/selling or whatever... Any tips? 

I had the same issue when I started cleaning out my stash.

Start working your way through your collection, trying everything again like it's the first time. Be super critical! If you own a dupe that performs better, get rid of it. If you could never see yourself using it, get rid of it.

Just make sure that you're getting rid of it for a good reason and not just because you have "too much" makeup. That's impossible.

Agreed that you should weed dupes first, then the things that you KNOW you won't ever use.

Then, maybe think about what you actually want TO HAVE, and go from there?

(how big are these storage units?)

My ideas:

1.  Bear in mind expiration dates and aging of product.  Rancid lipsticks smell pretty gross and aren't really good for you.  Same with lots of other kinds of product.  Better to use it up or share it before it's gone bad. 

2.  Ask yourself: if I had to move or flee with just a suitcase or train case.  What comes to mind to grab first?  That may help you identify what you are LESS attached to.

3.  Poke around elsewhere on line to find aphorisms or affirmations having to do with attachments or even irrational attachments.

I understand. Same happens to me. There are some products that I never use but I'm really afraid I will end up missing them if I happen to throw them away. There is this huge palette of eyeshadows I've had for ages and never use and it occupies so much space. Oh gosh, we need some help.

What I do is, from time to time, go through all my collection and sort out the things I never use, colours that don't suit me, foundations that don't fit my skintype, etc... and then see if these would suit my mom, grandma or a friend. If so, I'll give them the products. Most of the times my mom and grandma will use them up. 

Back