Queen Latifah Loves Her Curves

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
QueenLatifah_Retna_150.jpg

The Associated Press

Queen Latifah says the definition of beauty is changing.

"Beauty is not just a white girl. It's so many different flavors and shades," the 37-year-old rapper-actress tells People magazine in its latest issue. "It's good for regular girls because the meter (for beauty) has been a slim white girl."

"(In Hollywood) we've definitely gotten better with body type," she says. "It used to be just me! Now with Jennifer Hudson's success and America Ferrera, I got some successors to take the reins on this whole bodylicious thing."

Latifah describes herself as being voluptuous — "definitely curvaceous."

"I think I'm normal compared to the statistics," she says. "This is a big country nowadays."

The star of "Chicago" and other films says she had elective breast-reduction surgery in 2003 to alleviate years of back and shoulder pain.

"I didn't want to get it. But I had lost 25 pounds and my breasts didn?t go anywhere! I was still carrying that load," she tells the magazine.

However, "I didn't quite want them to be this small," she laughs.

Before surgery, Latifah says she was "an E or an F cup. I was pretty big. Now I'm like a DD. I wanted to be a triple. They took one D too many! So that was hard to deal with. ... I missed my old look."

Latifah says she isn't interested in more surgery.

"There are people who love (plastic surgery) and want to cut and chop anything. I'm like, 'Y'all are crazy!'"

Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

I think there should be more spokeswomen like her. She really has turned into a classy woman who is still down to earth -- not to mention funny.
smile.gif

I think there is a difference between being curvaceous and sexy, and being dangerously overweight.

It seems to me that there never seems to be any middle ground in these arguments. It's ok to say you hate massively underweight people because it's dangerous, but it's NOT ok to say it if someone is fat.

I love queen latifah and I think she's gorgeous BUT

(big but here
str.gif
) saying it's ok to be super (or even moderately) fat OR super thin is NOT good. I think with america and most first world countries getting bigger and bigger, we should be applauding women and men who are neither really huge or really tiny, but somewhere in between.

I know some people cant lose weight and yada yada, I'm just saying body shape should not be the issue, HEALTH should be, and promoting obesity is not healthy
smile.gif

I have to admit that I love the Queen as well.

I think it's about time that our that all of us were represented in the media instead of just one body type.

To respond to PinkSugar's response, I don't think that Queen Latifah is promoting obesity at all! Not in the least! If anything, I think she's trying to relay the message to other women to love themselves as they are.

The ideal we have in this country (and other countries that have been "westernized") is that of the slim and/or slender Caucasian female.

It's an image that's done more harm than good, and I think it's time that the mold was broken so all women have a chance to be represented instead of just one.

I remember an article that I read once, and this one line has stuck with me ever since, and it is, "As women have started to gain more power, why have the waistlines become smaller?"

And a book on cultural studies said, "The people that a society values the most feeds them the most."

So...

What's so wrong with looking like a regular woman, hence, yourself?

What are the "right" curves to have?

Heck, why is it acceptable to lambaste a woman who has a weight problem, but ignore the tubby fella who's stomach sticks out about a mile away from his jeans?

Why is the majority of plastic surgery advertisements geared toward women?

What's so wrong with wrinkles?

The image of health is going to be different for everybody, because not everybody is going to fit into mold that is considered "ideal feminine beauty."

Not everyone who leads a healthy lifestyle is going to have that slender or super slim body type. Take me for example. I'm 6'2 and there is no WAY on God's green earth that I'm going to be at or below 115 to 100 lbs. I'd probably look like I made a visit to Auschwitz! I can guarantee you that a majority of the women around here probably could not squeeze into a single digit jeans.

Heck, statistics show that the average woman is 5'4 and 5'6, weighs between 120-140 and wears a size 12-14. I've never seen her represented anywhere...

Have you?

Okay, I'm off my soapbox now, LOL

I do agree that there should be more different body type role models, definately beauty should be defined than more than a skinny white girl - and I also agree that latifah isn't promoting obesity, but it made me think about how frequent the term 'curvaceous' is used when someone is really more than that.

I guess what I worry about, is that this trend towards getting fatter to the point that most children are obese in western cultures, is actually becoming accepted.

I'm not very good at explaining what I mean, but what I'm trying to say is that instead of doing anything about it, we're just trying to make obesity acceptable by changing our view of what is sexy, which is going to be dangerous in the long term.

Of course, I'm not talking about people who are a healthy weight range, and I certainly don't think 12-14 is obese. I was really thinking about how a LOT of Aussies and other cultures that you see on the street are HUGE, and they take things that people like Q. Latifah say, and be like 'yeah, I'm curvaceous too.' when in reality, they have severe health problems.

I hope I'm making sense, LOL. I feel like people might take my comments the wrong way and think I'm some crazy person weighing like 90 pounds, LOL.

But anyway, Stranger, thanks for your response. I think what you've makes a lot of sense, and also, I do think it's important to broaden the perception of beauty in the media

What I love about Queen Latifah is that she has been demonstrating all along how the non-typical Hollywood woman can be beautiful.

That woman is a brick house. She cannot be rail thin, she has very solid bones and a sturdy musculature. I would be very sad for her if she did become rail thin.

She does not tell people it's okay to be obese. But she's saying, while you obese right now, you might as well learn to love yourself as you are right now, not tomorrow, and not only when you become thin sometime in the distant (or never) future.

That's the message I take away from her.

The Queen is beautiful, and an excellent role model. She's not obsessing over herself, she's enjoying her life, and that's inspiring.

Latest posts

Back