Question for mua's

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have pretty much figured out that my problems with makeup are not so much which products to use, but more to do with my lack of application techniques. I think I would like to go to a dept store (not sure where yet) and find a makeup artist whose makeup I like and ask her if she will pick out the products and guide me while i put them on myself, or maybe she can do half my face and I can do the other. I am having problems with blending, shading, and I think I am using too much product. My makeup never comes out the way I want it to look. I have read books, watched videos, and I read all your posts, but I'm not doing something right. Has anyone tried this with a makeup artist before? Do you think it's a good idea? Is it something that a makeup artist is allowed to do? Do you have any suggestions on where I should go for the kind of help I am looking for? I appreciate any and all responses.

Thanks

In Ireland, the MA's offer advice but usually for lessons they charge you. I think if you pay €50 at the MAC counter, you get a full hour of advice & tips & they give you a makeover but then you get to claim the €50 back on products so maybe its worth your while to try something like that??

I agree with the others and I´d definitely try a MAC makeover. it´s supposed to be about 1 hour long and you can ask them any questions you like. just go and see which MA looks nice and ask for an appointment for a makeover.

I´ve never had a real makeover before (although whenever I buy MAC my favorite MA always puts powder, blush and lipgloss on me for free just to make me leave prettier than I arrived *lol*), but I´m sure some of the other ladies on here have had one and will thell you what they do.

P.S: Charmaine, I´m impressed that you still remember what I told y´all bout the cool MA that put makeup on himself!

Originally Posted by Charmaine Yeah I just remembered it cause it was something that I've never heard of before! And hey, I didn't know the MAC makeovers were supposed to last one hour! I wonder if that's just outside the US? that´s what my fave MAC girl told me (she said somewhere between 45 and 60min). could be b/c MAC isn´t all that popular over here-guess they have time to do long makeovers.damn I really need to get one sometime!

If you go to a mac countor in nordstoms,they dont charge you,and it is cortious to buy something not mandatory.Just make sure you tell them that you want too learn techniques,or they will just put it on you and not explain everything.AS of just doing it yourself ,practice away ,start out with a little color and then you can always layer more if its too light,Too light is always better than too much!
smile.gif

I agree w/Trisha, my friend had hers done and MA just talked about colours and how to use the e/s as an eyeliner...

Originally Posted by Trisha Personally i'd go to someone like Bobbi Brown or Laura Mercier where they concentrate on technique more than colour (I have had MAC lessons but theye didnt focus enough on application).

heh.. in my experience as an MUA for Benefit cosmetics, I like to give technique lessons and not focus on color since we are not a color line of cosmetics anyway. If the customer already has our shades of color, I will show them how to use the shades they have at home rather than something else that may confuse them. I show them concealers and things they can use easily and normally I do expect that customer to purchase or leave a tip for me. I work in a busy store where time is money, if I spend an hour on a customer who does not buy, it's big trouble for me. My goal is over $100 dollars an hour and my minimum time frame allowed for a makeup lesson is about 20 minutes. The best thing to do if you want to spend a little more time with an MUA, make an appointment for a Monday or Tuesday morning, first thing when the store opens.

Another option is to go to a good beauty supply store that specializes in makeup...I'm not sure what's in your area, but alot of the them hire MUA or people out of makeup or cosmetology school. Just ask who might be able to help you out with some tricks to better application. Or go specifically to the line that you own the most products from and ask someone working for them to help you learn how to make use of your products.

Latest posts

Back