Questions for working Makeup Artists

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ VogueBoy  Quick question, I thought a kit fee was only for film / tv work? Even if you charge a "kit fee", you are still charging, just giving it a different name. ( Just my opinion)  Even with the kit fee, isnt  that still  kind of low-balling the other artist in the area?   Because at the end of the day you are still charging money, no matter what you call it.

@Shorty68, have you thought about working with other makeup artist in the area as far as assisting? Or working with up and coming models and photographers? That would give you experience and you would get to practice and build your port at the same time. Another thing you would have to think about if you choose to charge a "kit fee" or whatever you choose to call it, you have to align your prices along with your skill level. I dont think it would be a good idea to charge along the same lines as other MUAs in your area, if they have more experience and are established already. Another thing, you dont want to put yourself in a situation, where you have built your skill and experience but now when you try to raise your rates to match that, people are still stuck on your lower rates and dont want to pay the higher rates, even though you are worth it.   Thats why I suggested working with other up and coming models / photographers. You guys could do TFPs and help each other out.

Just my opinion.

Thanks Vogueboy! I will look into it. That's a great idea! I don't know of any Makeup Artists here. I will have to do some research. How do those TFP's work?

@ VogueBoy  Quick question, I thought a kit fee was only for film / tv work? Even if you charge a "kit fee", you are still charging, just giving it a different name. ( Just my opinion)  Even with the kit fee, isnt  that still  kind of low-balling the other artist in the area?   Because at the end of the day you are still charging money, no matter what you call it.
Actually no. Your rate is what you charge for your services and expertise. Your kit fee is charged for replacing your product. There is a big difference for both. This doesn't just apply to film/tv work, but in other areas of freelance make-up artistry as well. Other trade contractors have similar billing methods. You pay their day/hr rate and you also pay for supplies. So you're not low-balling, as this is the standard of how rates are billed/charged. There is also agency/booker fees that are part of our industry, but a part that's not relevant to you yet. I include it here, to show you that our fees are separate but are inclusive in the billing process, hence each region has their own standard range of fees they charge. This is meant to give room for negotiation (as each job is different) and to prevent Lo-balling and over-charging in your area.

Originally Posted by vogueboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Actually no.

Your rate is what you charge for your services and expertise.

Your kit fee is charged for replacing your product.

There is a big difference for both. This doesn't just apply to film/tv work, but in other areas of freelance make-up artistry as well.

Other trade contractors have similar billing methods. You pay their day/hr rate and you also pay for supplies.

So you're not low-balling, as this is the standard of how rates are billed/charged.

There is also agency/booker fees that are part of our industry, but a part that's not relevant to you yet. I include it here, to show you that our fees are separate but are inclusive in the billing process, hence each region has their own standard range of fees they charge.

This is meant to give room for negotiation (as each job is different) and to prevent Lo-balling and over-charging in your area.
There are plenty of makeup artists that would disagree with charging a kit fee for anything outside of film/tv. Working in trade (meaning you provide your talent and products in exchange for images to add to your portfolio) is common practice, as is finding a local artist to assist. I'm not necessarily arguing, just saying there are definitely two sides of that coin and each artist needs to make that decision for themselves based on the practices in their area. 

OP(@chaerrmn), rates vary but most will say you're not going to make enough money to support yourself for years starting out. Business savvy makes a difference, networking and building a portfolio is a good way to get yourself out there but honestly, the rates are so different from one area to another you're better off asking artists more local to where you live.

@shorty68, TFP stands for Trade For Print. It's sort of antiquated term so few people actually get prints of the images anymore, but it's basically what I said about working in trade. You do the makeup for a photo shoot (or film shoot, or whatever) and in exchange rather than money you get images to add to your portfolio, IMDB credit, etc. as compensation.

TFP works if you're new in the industry or entering a new market (city). No veteran MUA does a TFP. We do paid tests.

As a newbie MUA you need to build a portfolio more than anything at first! This, unfortunately, involves a lot of TFP shoots (time for prints). This means taking part in unpaid shoots in return for images for your portfolio.  Bridal is a good earner to start and also flexible around another full time job, but again, brides will want to see some previous work before they put their trust in you!  Try building a portfolio up first, once you do this I'd start at the reasonable end of the price scale and build your reputation by word of mouth. Get some business cards made and a website and advertise! Some people will charge a per person amount with a percentage taken at the time of trial. Others will charge an 'on the day rate' and a separate trial price.  Research your local area and try to find out what fellow MUAs charge. Base it on this and your experience. Hope this helps  Hannah

Latest posts

Back