rant: maybe i'm the only one

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
maybe it's just me and i'm crazy, but i can't stand it when someone puts their makeup on in public or touches up in public (excluding appropriate places like bathrooms).

last week alone, i saw at least 3 women/girls doing this.

for example, i was on the bus on the way to school and there's this woman sitting on the seats that face each other and it was crowded, so i was standing up, as well as lots of other people. she pulls out her lipstick, mascara, eyeliner, AND blush and just goes for it.

another example are customers at my job (restaurant). there's a bathroom right down the hall, witch, go put your makeup on there. NOT in the booth where people are eating and watching you.

any thoughts? i know people won't agree with me!

I'v never seen anyone do that,but I'd think it's weird too.

I only touch up my lipgloss in public,that's acceptable,right?
smile.gif

I once sat on the bus with a woman clipping her nails the whole ride... Now that is totally weird,and the sound,it's so annoying!

when i was living in tokyo i saw a group of girls sitting on the ground in the metro station applying their make-up (the make-up was also spread all around them in big piles!!)

I've seen many young girls doing that here in Japan. I understand though, but it's just not my thing and really not a good habit. Lip balm or Lip gloss with finger touch is OK for me, that's it. No need to pull out another MU stuff in public place except bathroom or other appropriate place.

You're not the only one, it drives me nuts! Last year in my health class, there was this one girl that would always, in the middle of class, whip out her eyeliner, eyeshadow, and mascara, and just put MORE on! And she already had plenty on to start with, I might add. This was only 2nd period, too!

The clipping nails thing is just plain gross. What happens when the clipping flings away and hits someone? Ew, I would only do that in my bathroom, thank you!

It irritates me too but i just feel embarassed for them because i wouldnt dare do that in public! I often touch up my lipstick or gloss though..!

I've seen people apply makeup in restaurants and buses before. I don't mean touching up lipstick, I mean full face makeup. Why not do it before leaving the house? I sometimes touch up my lipstick/gloss when I'm out but it's usually in the ladies.

Yeah i think in the canteen at work is cool too.. I used to always do it when i worked in Warehouse (fashion store in the UK). Well not just me but all the staff used to during their breaks
smile.gif

WOW the whole cutting of the nails is GROSS!
eek.gif
But, I dont think I have ever seen anybody or maybe just not noticed any women doing that in public. I personally have this fear that someone is watching me and never do it. Not even my lipgloss. lol I will actually wait till I get back to my car to check (not while Im driving either)
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I've only seen that a few times in public places. I think it's strange, but it really doesn't bother me.

I've only put on lipstick or did a quick touch up to powder my nose to rid the shine.

What really bothers me is the women who are driving down the highway putting makeup on at the same time. That's just dangerous. Not only for them but for everyone around them!

The nail thing is really nasty though. We had a guy here in the office who clipped his finger nails every week in his cubicle. That really grossed me out.

The nail thing is definelty gross!!

It doesn't annoy me as such when women put their MU on in public - there was a woman on the tube this morning putting her 'face' on!!

Though women who tweeze their eyebrows in public.. that's another thing!

I am nosey sometimes and see what brands they're using!

But it is bad when people are putting their MU on in cars.

I used to work with a guy at the bank and he would clip his finger nails once a week at his station (he was a teller)!!! I hated that disgusting sound!!! I used to ask him if he would do it at home or in the men's bathroom but he wouldn't...
icon_evil.gif
icon_evil.gif

I don't put makeup in the bus or the car but I do lipstick touch up at the restaurants discreetly.

I agree with you all. I ride the train every day and sometimes I see women putting on full makeup and they're sitting right across from me. It just looks real bad to be doing this in public. Lipstick or gloss is one thing, because its quick and done with. This woman was doing eyeliner, shadow, mascara - - I'd be too embarrassed to do that. Not only, how can you possibly apply makeup correctly when a train is constantly lurching forward or shaking? I just think the whole thing is poor manners.

i'm glad i'm not the only one!

that nail clipping in public is gross
icon_mad.gif

lipstick/gloss/balm is okay to me. i forgot to mention that above.

oh, and amethyst mentioned how she'd be embarrassed. i'd feel the same way. what if i think my makeup looks good and then everyone around me is like, ewww, why does she think it looks good? LOL

Not only that, I can't even count how many times my husband is driving the car and I'm trying to put lipstick on while he's driving (a dumb thing) and it ends up on my cheek. Reminds me of a scene from "I Love Lucy" or something.

There was this guy that used to work in my office who would clip his nails at his desk. I sit across the hall from him (he's gone now, thank heaven) but I'd hear the clicking of the nail clipper. I wanted to run into his office and smack him off the head. Things like that grate my nerves.

The only thing I'll touch up in public is lipstick/gloss - anything else waits until I can make it into the bathroom, to my car, or home, haha. I'd just feel like everyone was looking at me, especially since it seems no one at my school does it. You can tell the girls wear makeup, but it's rare to see someone pull it out in public.

lol, I agree, the closest thing I get to applying mu in public is touching up l/g or l/s at the bus stop! (Sometimes I run out of the house without doing my l/g, because I don't want to miss the bus if it comes a minute or two early!) Otherwise I will just touch up my lips or powder in the bathroom!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Leony I've seen many young girls doing that here in Japan. I live in Singapore & its not really uncommon or unaccepted to apply makeup in public. When I was in secondary school, u could see girls pulling out their compacts to touchup on their foundations in class. Maybe this sort of thing is considered common in Asia but not so in the US I guess.
I myself only touchup make up in the bathroom, but I do put on gloss in restaurants after eating. In the past, I only put makeup(including gloss) in bathrooms as I thought it doesn't look nice to be putting on anything at all in public. But it was such a hussle going to the bathroom everytime u wanted to put on lipgloss! So I decided to do it right at the table after meal
icon_redface.gif

I have to admit I'm occasionally guilty of this. Sometimes I'll do my powder or top up my lippie in the office at work because I'm so busy I don't get chance to go to the ladies very often.

How true that every culcure has different ways. When I was growing up in Istanbul, it was very rude to walk around with a toothpick in your mouth and clean your teeth without covering your mouth with your hand. I moved to the states and it grossed me out when people would come to my desk with a toothpick in their mouths
icon_rolleyes.gif
I still don't like it but I am used to the habit now.

Originally Posted by Aniger86 I live in Singapore & its not really uncommon or unaccepted to apply makeup in public. When I was in secondary school, u could see girls pulling out their compacts to touchup on their foundations in class. Maybe this sort of thing is considered common in Asia but not so in the US I guess.
I myself only touchup make up in the bathroom, but I do put on gloss in restaurants after eating. In the past, I only put makeup(including gloss) in bathrooms as I thought it doesn't look nice to be putting on anything at all in public. But it was such a hussle going to the bathroom everytime u wanted to put on lipgloss! So I decided to do it right at the table after meal
icon_redface.gif

Latest posts

Back