Raw food pics

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I've been eating raw for a few months now and just wanted to share a couple pics of my last few meals. I never actually enjoyed looking at food I cooked until I stopped cooking it, lol. Dinner last night, pad thai: Today's lunch, courgette pasta: and my favorite snack, just pulled out of the dehydrator, bbq kale chips:

Ummm these look delish!! Do you have any recipes?! I'm always looking to try different foods.

I do have recipes! This pad thai recipe is by Russell James
Serves 2–4 1â„4 cup baby corn, thinly sliced 1 carrot, cut julienne 1 red pepper, cut julienne 1â„2 cup red cabbage, thinly sliced 1 courgette (zucchini), sliced into ‘noodles’ in a spiral slicer 1â„4 cup sugarsnap peas, thinly sliced 1 spring onion (green onion), sliced thin 2 tablespoons lime juice 2 tablespoons tamari or nama shoyu 1 shallot, sliced thin 1 small red chili, minced 2 tablespoons agave nectar or maple syrup 3 tablespoons tamarind paste* 1 cup mung beansprouts 10 leaves of basil, cut chiffonade 1 small handful coriander (cilantro), roughly chopped 10 leaves of mint, cut chiffonade -Mix all ingredients in a bowl. For the almond sauce: 3 tablespoons almond butter 1 tablespoon agave nectar or maple syrup 4 sun-dried tomato halves 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar 2 teaspoons tamari or nama shoyu 1â„2cm cube ginger 1 clove garlic -Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth. -Place a good amount of the pad thai on a plate to serve and spoon sauce around the outside of the plate. -Garnish with chopped almonds and chili flakes. *Tamarind paste can be made by soaking 100g tamarind in 1â„2 cup water until soft (the seedless type you can buy is a packet in fine for this) and straining through a sieve. If you don’t have any tamarind available, simply leave out.

BBQ Kale Chips. You can make these in the oven if you don't have a dehydrator (most people don't, lol). 200 degrees for an hour or crispy. Even better if you have a fan-assisted oven. I didn't use a recipe for the pasta, but it's pretty simple. The courgette pasta is just a courgette spiraled through a spiral vegetable slicer. Add a bit of olive oil, salt, and lemon juice and then massage the courgette until it takes on a softer texture, like pasta. I also added 1 green onion, diced. For the sauce: 2 medium tomatoes 6 sun dried tomato halves, soaked 1/4c olive oil 2 dates 2 cloves garlic 5-7 leaves of basil 1/2 tsp cumin -Blend all the ingredients in a blender or food processor, add some of the soak water (from the sun dried tomatoes) to ease blending, if necessary.

Lola, why did you start to eat a raw food diet? Have you noticed any health benefits? Have you been following any of Carol Alt's books?

I'd say I eat a small % of my food raw - I don't cook vegetables or fruits.

The pad thai meal looks great.

thanks for the kale link, lola!  i love the kale chips, but it can get expensive since i can easily eat a bag in one sitting:)

Quote: Originally Posted by Dragonfly /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Lola, why did you start to eat a raw food diet? Have you noticed any health benefits? Have you been following any of Carol Alt's books?

I decided I wanted to eat a more plant based diet, and eating raw foods seemed to be the easiest way to do so. I started out about 60% raw, and now I'm 100%. I feel a lot cleaner and my skin looks amazing. Weight loss has also been a nice side effect. :) I haven't read any of Carol Alt's books. I have read all of Michael Pollan's books, though, and I just kind of decided on raw through deciding what I did NOT want to put in my body anymore.

Quote: Originally Posted by glamigirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

thanks for the kale link, lola!  i love the kale chips, but it can get expensive since i can easily eat a bag in one sitting:)

No problem! I have a couple other recipes (plain, cheesy, salt & vinegar) I can send you if you'd like. I totally know what you mean about the chips getting pricey. $5 for a 3oz bag? That could buy you two heads of organic kale!

Thanks for responding Lola. I just reserved "Food Rules, An Eater's Manual" by Michael Pollan, from the library. Do you use raw milk? In Ontario it is illegal to sell it here.

No, I don't drink milk from animals. I make my own nut milks and cheeses. Almond and Brazil nut milks are my favorites.

Quote: Originally Posted by Dragonfly /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I decided I wanted to eat a more plant based diet, and eating raw foods seemed to be the easiest way to do so. I started out about 60% raw, and now I'm 100%. I feel a lot cleaner and my skin looks amazing. Weight loss has also been a nice side effect. :) I haven't read any of Carol Alt's books. I have read all of Michael Pollan's books, though, and I just kind of decided on raw through deciding what I did NOT want to put in my body anymore.

Quote: Originally Posted by glamigirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No problem! I have a couple other recipes (plain, cheesy, salt & vinegar) I can send you if you'd like. I totally know what you mean about the chips getting pricey. $5 for a 3oz bag? That could buy you two heads of organic kale!
Thanks,lola-id love the recipes! I first fell in love with the cheesy kale chips-theyre so yummy:)

I LOVE nut milks! So much better than animal milks. That salad looks incredible! I'm gonna have to go back to eating closer to vegan and add more raw foods.

Everything looks SO delicious!!!!  I'm drooling over all of these.

Thank you for the recipes!

I'm trying to fix my diet, so this is great inspiration for me~

Originally Posted by glamigirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This looks delicious,too-what did you put in your salad?
The recipe is linked in my post. Like I said, though, I halved the nut measurements to cut down on fat.

Originally Posted by satojoko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I LOVE nut milks! So much better than animal milks.

That salad looks incredible! I'm gonna have to go back to eating closer to vegan and add more raw foods.
I totally agree! Do you make your own? I was buying nut milks from the store for a while until I realized how easy (and cheap!) it is to make it at home. Same with nut cheeses.

You totes should! Get your greens on, girl!

Originally Posted by amoxirat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Everything looks SO delicious!!!!  I'm drooling over all of these.

Thank you for the recipes!

I'm trying to fix my diet, so this is great inspiration for me~
Yay! You're welcome!

I don't have anything super interesting to share, but I absolutely LOVE this green juice to get my mornings going. I typically do a green juice or a fruit smoothie for breakfast and mono meals for lunch and dinner unless I'm feeling fancy, which is why I don't have something to post everyday. 

1 bunch lacinato kale

1c. parsley

1c. spinach

1 cucumber

2 apples

1 lemon

-Wash and juice.

-Makes way more than what's pictured. About a quart+

And the salad I made for DF last night:

Recipe here. I made some adjustments, but I forget what lol. I think I cut the olive oil down to 1/8 c., added some nutritional yeast, and used less salt to wilt the kale.

Originally Posted by lolaB /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't have anything super interesting to share, but I absolutely LOVE this green juice to get my mornings going. I typically do a green juice or a fruit smoothie for breakfast and mono meals for lunch and dinner unless I'm feeling fancy, which is why I don't have something to post everyday. 

1 bunch lacinato kale

1c. parsley

1c. spinach

1 cucumber

2 apples

1 lemon

-Wash and juice.

-Makes way more than what's pictured. About a quart+

And the salad I made for DF last night:

Recipe here. I made some adjustments, but I forget what lol. I think I cut the olive oil down to 1/8 c., added some nutritional yeast, and used less salt to wilt the kale.
Thank you for these recipes!!  That salad looks Delicious!

Originally Posted by lolaB /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What do you mean by "mono meals"? Thanks for these awesome recipes! Since you've been eating raw for a while, do you find making raw dishes more or less difficult than making cooked dishes? In terms of how time-consuming it is, how many ingredients you need.. I don't cook a lot in general so it'll probably already be kind of hard for me. lol. but I want to gauge the difficulty level.

Have you tried spaghetti squash? (I just asked that and felt dumb b/c it needs to be cooked to be eaten as "spaghetti" XP but it's something non-raw pasta-lovers could look into!)

You skin looks amazing and that's one of the reasons why I'm extra interested :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

A mono meal is one where you eat just one sort of food. Like (and this isn't necessarily a raw foods example) a baked potato with no sour cream, cheese, chives, but maybe some spices on it.

Exactly. It's just one type of food, making it easier for your system to digest. So, I'll just have apples, or cauliflower, or a big bowl of kale (wilted with a bit of lemon juice and salt), etc for a meal. Just depends on my mood. I'm not super into food combining or anything, but I do like to give my system a rest from time to time.

In general think it's less difficult and definitely less time consuming than cooking. There are exceptions, of course. Preparing a raw pizza takes two days! On a day to day basis, though, I don't spend that much time in the kitchen. A lot of recipes revolve around a blender or food processor, so if you don't have one of those, it might be a little more difficult (but not impossible). I also find it to be less stressful. There's no food to over/under cook. Essentially, it's as simple or as complex as you choose to make it.

The most daunting part of going raw was definitely filling up my pantry with new staple items. A lot of them were readily available, though, so it didn't turn out to be that big of a deal. Things like agave nectar, nutritional yeast, nama shoyu, tamari, aminos, etc are used a lot in recipes, especially in transitioning foods - the ones made to mimic a cooked dish (like the pasta or pad thai^^^).

No, I haven't had spaghetti squash, but I've heard it's great!

Thanks for the comment on my skin! I'm truly amazing at how much and how quickly it improved. I'd had nice skin for a while and then it just went crazy last year. I found this picture that was taken just a few days before I went raw, just to show you where I started, kind of.

No amount of foundation could cover up that icky texture. I don't know if you can tell, but I has these tiny bumps all over my face. So gross.

Originally Posted by icecreamofwheat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What do you mean by "mono meals"? Thanks for these awesome recipes! Since you've been eating raw for a while, do you find making raw dishes more or less difficult than making cooked dishes? In terms of how time-consuming it is, how many ingredients you need.. I don't cook a lot in general so it'll probably already be kind of hard for me. lol. but I want to gauge the difficulty level.

Have you tried spaghetti squash? (I just asked that and felt dumb b/c it needs to be cooked to be eaten as "spaghetti" XP but it's something non-raw pasta-lovers could look into!)

You skin looks amazing and that's one of the reasons why I'm extra interested :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Latest posts

Back