Red lipstick for African American women

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am deeply in love with MAC Dubonnet l/s. I also wear MAC RED which is just a tad bold, but nice nonetheless. For gloss I really like the new red 3-d gloss that came out recently. I cant think of the specific name right now but it was the only red in the bunch. I think its perfect!

I saw some vids on youtube on red lipstick and I saw this lady applying some gorgeous red/wine lipstick but as the video progressed it got kinda weird so I left.

Hi,

Look for reds that are brick or garnet based. Prestige also makes a color called "Dubonnet".

My complexion is similar to Naomi Campbell and Lauryn Hill. I have very full lips and have great difficulty wearing lipsticks of any shade. Lipstick always looks very chalky on me. Perhaps it is due to the natural dark coloring of my lips. For that reason I just wear lipgloss. When I want red lips I either use a dark red lipliner and clear gloss or dark brown liner with red gloss blended well together of course.

Sorry, but I can't imagine red lipstick on a tan skin...

I generally can't imagine any other color on Black women's lips than that beige-light pink tones. I'm very narrow in this case
wink.gif

Great thread I'd love to find my perfect red!

Rocksta I can't imagine most black women wearing beigy pink lip tones unless you mean ones with a lighter complexion, don't be fooled black women can pull of red.

My favorite red gloss is L'Oreal HIP's Enticing; it's a deep-but-bright blue red. My second favorite is MAC Russian Red lipglass, which is brighter. I wear it over MAC Viva Glam I.

MAC Smoove was also a favorite. It's been discontinued but might still be floating around at some CCOs. It was a gorgeous matte burgundy with green & gold frost. Sounds scary, but it was lovely. I have some left but I don't wear it often because I don't want to part with it. Isn't that crazy?
vogel.gif

Originally Posted by sephoras girl /img/forum/go_quote.gif I was wondering does anyone know any good deep red lipsticks that would complement my complexion.(I have a similar complexion to Jennifer hudson)
rockwoot.gif

I'd suggest Fresh Morocco or maybe even Dubonnet as someone else suggested.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by LipglossQueen /img/forum/go_quote.gif Great thread I'd love to find my perfect red!
Rocksta I can't imagine most black women wearing beigy pink lip tones unless you mean ones with a lighter complexion, don't be fooled black women can pull of red.

I agree. I along with other black women manage to pull off red very nicely. As it has been stated before if you have warm complexion wear a warm based red. If you have a cool complexion wear a cool based one. I'm neutral so I dabble in both.

Originally Posted by LipglossQueen /img/forum/go_quote.gif don't be fooled black women can pull of red. ^ And better than most people too. Darker skins can handle more color variety and make it look good.
I've already found my perfect reds: One tomato red (finally after years of hard searching!), one magenta-red, and red wine color.

Back