revolting ingredients

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
this is from one of my beauty books, which i consider the bible. it's called "beauty: the new basics" by rona berg.

human placenta - the protein-rich lining of the womb, expelled after birth, was first used in cosmetics in the 1940s. because of its hormone content, manufacturers claimed that placental material would stimulate tissue growth and eradicate wrinkles.

animal amniotic liquid - the fluid that surrounds and protects a cow or ox fetus, touted as a valuable source of protein and vitamins, is used in moisturizers and shampoos.

fish scales - used in some glittery eyeshadow.

"live" sheep cells - used in antiaging skin treatments.

beetle carapace - the shell of a beetle is the source of "carmine", a common ingredient in red lipsticks.

cattle, ox, or swine brain cells - used in moisturizers.

what do you think?
eek.gif

I have heard about using placenta before. I dont know how I feel about that.

i heard about the placenta also. i wouldn't buy it cause it's so expensive along with being gross.

Yuck! I've never heard of any of those! I have heard that they use whale blubber in lipstick. Is that true?

Ive heard about the beetle thing, i think Aveda used to use it, not sure if they do anymore though . . .

Sorry ,putting someones placenta on my face is gross,Onthis show on tv ,i seen this family that saved their daughter's placenta after she gave birth to her child.they kept it in the freezer and then ,they cooked it anD ATE IT!Now that i think is far worse.

Oh God, that is so GROSS!
eek.gif

But to answer your question, Jennifer, I don't know how I feel about it. I don't agree with animal testing, so it seems like animal products would run along that same line...

What's whale blubber?
icon_eek.gif

Originally Posted by bonbon412 Yuck! I've never heard of any of those! I have heard that they use whale blubber in lipstick. Is that true?

Originally Posted by Trisha That practice is actually a tradition in some countries! It is done where my Mum comes from x dont mean to offend but I dont undestand why they do it.Is it for something,like health wise or is it religious?Where is your mom from?

Originally Posted by Trisha its like some old wives tale about how its healthy!! Who knows where these customs originated from!
My Mum is from Trinidad. x

Oh, hey different stroke for different folks,lol
icon_cheesygrin.gif
Your moms from trinidad,no wonder you are so exotic looking(no insults i mean your very pretty),My good friend is from trinidad and i love her accent its so cute,
icon_smile.gif

I agree with Trisha on this as well - hey, whatever works !
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by Trisha I'm not really bothered unless an animal was harmed to get it. xx

Latest posts

Back