Ricki Lake Sets the Record Straight on John Mayer

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
mayer_lake320.jpg

Yes, John Mayer recently admitted to having a "crush" on her. But Ricki Lake insists their relationship hasn't moved beyond casual cocktail party chit-chat.

"I swear to God, there is no story," she told PEOPLE Wednesday during a photoshoot for the magazine. "I met him at a party. He admitted he had a crush and I admitted, hey, vice versa. That was it. I wish there was actually something to tell. There was nothing."

Last week, Mayer, 30, and Lake, 39, talked and exchanged phone numbers at a Manhattan party – and the New York Post's Page Six promptly reported on the possible love connection.

"He was adorable. Nice," Lake told the PEOPLE reporter. "[but] I've been more intimate with you than I was with him."

Even if there had been sparks, the single mom adds, the tabloid frenzy would have cooled things down. "The media [attention] blew my chances!" she mock-lamented.

That night, the two did both attend events for John C. Reilly's new film, Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story, but their paths didn't seem to cross.

Lake attended the premiere, where she again shot down rumors of a romance, calling it "completely overblown." Mayer, meanwhile, hit the afterparty at Social Hollywood, where he sat with a small group of friends and noshed on appetizers.

Mayer split with Jessica Simpson earlier this year and has been dating Friday Night Lights star Minka Kelly since September.

Back