Right colours for brown eyes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello ladies,

I'm new here and i really have trouble when doing my eyes ( plain brown). I would like to know which colours do you suggest for two different looks:

a) a regular day at work (Finance). It is a very conservative environment, so it should be something flattering tough not very eye-catching...

B) a night out during the week-end. Or how to look my best without resembling a drag-queen.

I always end up with the safest choice: nude, nude, nude. I would like to spice that a little ...

Thanks in advance!

A warm welcome and a big hello from New York, Anitars ~ I'm new too, and I have brown eyes as well. If you want to get some ideas on how to enhance brown eyes, take a good look at Trisha's notepad - its just beautiful. She knows how to work all different colors and achieve so many exotic looks. I think she's terrific, and one of my favorite moderator's - (aside from Janelle, of course)!!! (Janelle's my daughter, if you didn't know.....) lol ....

I like gold, but I'm trying to find a good looking gold thats not frosted - I'd like more of a matte gold shadow. The older I get the less shimmer is better - it doesn't accent or draw attention to a more mature eye......

Oh my God, Trisha! Your note pad is amazing. You have done a wonderful job!!!
icon_smile.gif

Regarding the gold shadow. I use very little colour myself but a couple of weeks ago I went for an eye make-up session at the MAC counter and the guy mixed:

Goldmine (gold, no shimmer, but gorgeous shade) & Rule (discreet orange) combined with Embark & Carbon (darker shades). The result was great (though unfortunately I have not been able to copy it myself ...)

Maybe you'd like to have a look at this Goldmine shade at the MAC's counter.

Originally Posted by K*O* I like gold, but I'm trying to find a good looking gold thats not frosted - I'd like more of a matte gold shadow. The older I get the less shimmer is better - it doesn't accent or draw attention to a more mature eye......

Thanks Anitars -Goldmine huh - that's not a frosty,nor shimmer?? hmmmm, lemme check Trisha's inventory I'm sure she's got the color there, it'll save me a trip to the mall, and $$$ at the MAC counter .... Karen

Originally Posted by anitars Oh my God, Trisha! Your note pad is amazing. You have done a wonderful job!!!
icon_smile.gif

Regarding the gold shadow. I use very little colour myself but a couple of weeks ago I went for an eye make-up session at the MAC counter and the guy mixed:

Goldmine (gold, no shimmer, but gorgeous shade) & Rule (discreet orange) combined with Embark & Carbon (darker shades). The result was great (though unfortunately I have not been able to copy it myself ...)

Maybe you'd like to have a look at this Goldmine shade at the MAC's counter.

Welcome anitars, I don't know if there is a color a brown eye won't look good with.

Welcome K*O*, you have a very nice daughter
smile.gif

Originally Posted by anitars Hello ladies,I'm new here and i really have trouble when doing my eyes ( plain brown). I would like to know which colours do you suggest for two different looks:

a) a regular day at work (Finance). It is a very conservative environment, so it should be something flattering tough not very eye-catching...

B) a night out during the week-end. Or how to look my best without resembling a drag-queen.

I always end up with the safest choice: nude, nude, nude. I would like to spice that a little ...

Thanks in advance!

Originally Posted by lilla Welcome anitars, I don't know if there is a color a brown eye won't look good with.
Welcome K*O*, you have a very nice daughter
smile.gif

Thanks Lilla!
wink.gif
LOL

I definetly think brown eyes can wear anything! But to really make your natural eye color pop, try shades like deep rich blues, purples, or greens. For work you can stick with muted variations, sheer formulas, and use a light hand. For a fun look when going out, go for it with vivid shades with lots of shimmer or glitter! Layer on till you get the desired intensity. Also at night, you might want to try combining contrasting colors to create your look (like purple and green), whereas for work you'd want to limit yourself to 2 or 3 complimentary colors in the same family.

Again, these are just ideas for maximum enhancement of the brown in your eyes. But I really do feel like if you love a color, any color, you can make it work for you!
icon_biggrin.gif

23_3_36.gif
to MUT! I have brown eyes too and I find that I can wear almost any color (some bolder ones if I am brave enough!). If you a MAC fan, I highly recommend the Diana Eyes Palette 2 x 4. Its great for daytime looks and also night time. Hope this helps!

Latest posts

Back