Ruined My Hair!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, for some reason I decided I want to get a perm. I've never had one before but my hair is naturally borderline curly/wavy and I thought it'd be great to have big, soft curls without having to spend time blowdrying with mousse. Stupid me, I went to this salon in Covent Garden (central London) solely because I know it to be cheap, and they take walk-ins. I showed the stylist a couple of pictures and she said it was fine. She got the scissors out and I told her I was growing it and didn't want it cut. She said fine, I'm just going to thin it out into layers, and that it's necessary for volume. I thought that sounded ok, and let her go ahead with the cut and the perm itself. She went and did a couple of other clients whilst the stuff was on my hair but I wasn't particularly worried.

Anyway, to cut a long story short (ha, ha), I realised only right at the end that what I actually have is poodle curls, think Brian May but with a mullet. I don't know what's worse - the perm or the unwanted short cut! I would be willing to pay good money to get the perm reversed, but then I'd still be left with a mullet, albeit a straight one! I guess I could go back and ask them to sort it out for free, but I frankly don't trust them at all. I guess there's no solution but to wait for it to grow out, but I just had to get it off my chest! There's a before photo below - see how long it was! I'll do an after photo later if you want to see it... Moral of the day: do not select your hairdresser by the lone variable of cheapness!

so sorry to hear that
frown.gif
i would nt of paid if i were you

Oh honey, I did the same thing about 8 years ago. My hair was mid back and I just wanted waves. Lord it was awful. I cut it to my shoulders and started growing it again. It's back to the top of my butt now. I sooooo know how you feel. The only good thing about it being shorter for you now is that it can grow back. It'll get better. Hug......sorry.

I'd go back, and at least make a complaint. They might be willing to give you a partial refund or something.

Yea lets see that after photo. I too did the same thing about a week and half ago. I have somewhat wavy hair and wanted some loose curls in it without having to blow dry and curl everyday. I came out lookin like shirley temple. It sucked. Since then I washed it the next day and your suppose to wait 48 hours. I couldnt. I also use a brush and your suppose to use a pick. I dont like how curly it is and now I have to live with it cuz I dont wanna put anymore chemicals in my hair. So now Im stuck with it so I know your pain. It sucks big time. I also had her trim it up to get rid of split ends. Lets just say it was to the middle of my back and now its near my shoulders.

That sucks! I learned a long time ago to go only to the TOP OF THE LINE salons if you want nice hair.

well i don't know about the top salon not long ago i was in the top salon it was expensive and stuff and there is a women working there who got drunk at her lunch time and ruined ones women hair so i think before going somewhere you should ask around your friends and other people and i am sorry to hear about your experience when i did my perm with the stylist i know it was perfect so i had no problems with that part.

Thanks for all the replies - I feel a bit better now! And it's good to know other people are going through the same thing. We'll look back and laugh, girls!...

sweetnsexy, i'll post a pic tomorrow. At the moment it's got a ton of conditioner in it. I know I should have complained, but it's a trendy salon, and I felt a bit intimidated, mainly because I knew I looked stupid (even though it was their fault!)

Oh no! Well, here's one thing you could do:

Keep a photo of what your hair looks like currently after the cut. The next time (if ever) you want to re-attempt to have that cut again, go to a reputable salon. You may have better luck going to a stylist that has a similar hair type to yours (or you may ask beforehand who has the most confidence and experience dealing with waves/curls). Show the "good" result picture, then show them your undesirable result picture. This should give them a better idea of how not to handle your hair.

It's a bummer, I know. But the thing about hair... it grows back (of course, not as quickly as we want it to.
wink.gif
)

Im sorryyy

my hair is like my life and whenever it gets damaged or cut too short it just breaks my heart.

My hair is my favorite and if I were you I would go back and make a scene
smile.gif

Oh damn...Maybe after a few washings and some hair pins you could do something really funky with it? =)

Oh man! I would be sooooooooooooo pissed off. I hate when people cant follow instructions especially when they are getting paid to do exactly that. Whatever happened to pleasing the client? I hope you get your hair situation sorted out.

Originally Posted by saravin /img/forum/go_quote.gif Thanks for all the replies - I feel a bit better now! And it's good to know other people are going through the same thing. We'll look back and laugh, girls!...sweetnsexy, i'll post a pic tomorrow. At the moment it's got a ton of conditioner in it. I know I should have complained, but it's a trendy salon, and I felt a bit intimidated, mainly because I knew I looked stupid (even though it was their fault!)

Hi so sorry to hear what happened to you, but this may help a little, i think the best thing you can do at present is invest in some Kerastase Vita Cement, sounds like your hair is dry/damaged from the perm chemicals, if you spray one of these into your hair and leave it about 40-mins your hair will def be alot better, if you repeat this once or twice a week you will not believe the difference. I had my hair cut along time ago (the Salon Beckham uses) and they made a terrible mess of it, considering it would have cost and arm and leg i was really ****** off, but i never paid them as i told the sylist what i wanted and the end result was nothing like it, in fact i got speacial treatment and stuff for free from them, so really i think you should have def complained, but i know it is embarrassing for some people, also if you are upset you just want to leave the shop quickly, check if the Salon belongs to 365, its an organisation that may be able to help you, so sorry and hope its looks better soon.

Latest posts

Back