Salsa, Feisty & PnkCosmo, give us some photo advice!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey girls, you all have captured your FOTDs so well, perhaps you could share some advice for those of us who are having a hard time with our digital cameras. Do you use a flash, take the pic in natural lighting, take the pic yourself, have someone else photograph your FOTD? Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Joy!

Hmmm this is a super debated subject, HOW TO TAKE A PROPER DIGITAL PICTURE.

I am not a professional, but I have had many digital cameras and currently have a SONY Silver Cyber-shot® Digital Camera(see attachment)

• 5.1 Megapixel (2592 x 1944 Pixels)
  • 3X optical zoom lens
  • 2.5" LCD monitor1
  • Compact SLR design
  • Captures 640 x 480 video at up to 30 fps
My Tips on Taking proper pictures:

Get closer
Try to get within 2-4 feet of your subject. You want to have 90 percent person and 10 percent background in your picture. Get close even when it's uncomfortable. This is where you get the best photographs.

Find the right lightingTry not to use a flash as it gives faces a harsh and unnatural look. I beleive to get a more flattering tone and higher quality, use natural light. Have your subject sit sideways next to a window or door reflecting the bright midday sun…indirect light makes soft and beautiful pictures. It also makes one side of your subject's face light and the other shadowed, which creates strong emotion and mood.

HTH

Originally Posted by Joyeuux

Hey girls, you all have captured your FOTDs so well, perhaps you could share some advice for those of us who are having a hard time with our digital cameras. Do you use a flash, take the pic in natural lighting, take the pic yourself, have someone else photograph your FOTD? Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated!

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) Find the right lightingTry not to use a flash as it gives faces a harsh and unnatural look. I beleive to get a more flattering tone and higher quality, use natural light. Have your subject sit sideways next to a window or door reflecting the bright midday sun…indirect light makes soft and beautiful pictures. It also makes one side of your subject's face light and the other shadowed, which creates strong emotion and mood.

Yes, I definitely agree with the lighting part. I think I need to take my FOTD pics when the sun is still out, rather than in this dark apartment of mine!
smile.gif

We got a HP Photsmart 435 for Xmas but it was dead cheap so i know it doesn't take good quality photo's.. I agree with Trisha though, taking lots of shots is the way to to do it. Then you can always find one you like!

Trish, since your pics look so good, do you want to put a picture up in you profile?

Click here for that

Max size is 150px x 150 px

You can see an example here

Originally Posted by SalsaBelle1983

Totally agree with what Tony said!
I use the Olympus Camedia C765 Ultrazoom

I take my pics with the person portrait mode with the macro setting on,

I usually take face shots, then closer up pics of my eyes open and closed.

I also badly attach a piece of tissure over my flash to get more natural lighting when taking pics when its dark outside!!

The key with me is, I take like 3million shots cos there is bound to be one that will come out well!

Hope that helps xx

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) Trish, since your pics look so good, do you want to put a picture up in you profile?
Click here for that

Max size is 150px x 150 px

You can see an example here

I like the new 150x150 size. You can see the faces quite a bit better in the slightly larger pics.

Oh you noticed! Nice! Yep also avatars can be 85x85 px and are bigger now too

Originally Posted by PnkCosmo

I like the new 150x150 size. You can see the faces quite a bit better in the slightly larger pics.

*wait's for yours!
icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted by PnkCosmo

When I take my eye pics, this is what I do:

• Stand near a window
  • Turn on the Macro setting
  • Turn on the flash
  • Zoom in a bit
  • Take about 10 or 20 different pics
I only use the Macro setting when doing eye pics, b/c it gives the rest of the face that "fishbowl" look. I upload the pics, and crop up the pics I like best.
When I do a full face pic, I'll either use the portrait setting, or normal.

For some reason, using a combination of flash & natural lighting gives me the truest color. I guess it depends on the camera.

HTH
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) *wait's for yours!
icon_cool.gif
LOL, I never put on my "face" yesterday!
Maybe I'll get motivated today! It's my first 2 days off in a row for a loooong time! I slept in until noon yesterday! I'm such a lazy bum! LOL

I have a Canon PowerShot A80

The thing has so many functions - I'm still learning how to use them all...
icon_redface.gif

a80_title.gif

NO shit!
icon_twisted.gif
I cannot learn photography if my life depended on it. I used to have this hot minolta digital SLR (over $1,000) for the thing, but do you think I could learn it? Nope....so it went to the way of the Ebayster and now I own a little tiny Sony point and shoot! Love it

Originally Posted by NYAngel98

I have a Canon PowerShot A80
The thing has so many functions - I'm still learning how to use them all...
icon_redface.gif

a80_title.gif

Joy, I used my self-timer & flash. I had to go into my bathroom & place it on my shelf b/c everywhere in the house had poor lighting or TOO much lighting.

I'm currently loving my new Fuji FinePix 5.1. I got it late October & couldn't be happier. Picture quality is great & very user-friendly.

Originally Posted by Joyeuux Hey girls, you all have captured your FOTDs so well, perhaps you could share some advice for those of us who are having a hard time with our digital cameras. Do you use a flash, take the pic in natural lighting, take the pic yourself, have someone else photograph your FOTD? Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated! Hi there -it's been a long time since I have been on make-up talk and no better subject for me personally than photograhy ;-) I have a Huntington Beach based photog business and over the years I have learned alot about exposure, flash, etc. I do however, specialize in natural light but use an occasional fill flash.
The best advice I can give is to use natural window lighting. It always creates more of a mood and feel to the shot. Tonys advice is good about getting aggressive on how close you shoot. Don't be afraid and take risks. This is always when the good shots seem to happen. Good window light typically occurs between 9-11 a.m. or from 2:30- 4:30 pm. If your camera has a film speed setting (aka "iso") set it up at iso 400 or 800. I push mine alot on lower light..... sometimes I go as high as 3200 but not all cameras will do this.

Shoot frequently and change settings alot. This is the best way to learn.

I will think about it more and try to be a little more specific on another reply My website address is www.dinamariephotography.com. Hope this helps even a tiny bit. :) Dina

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) Oh you noticed! Nice! Yep also avatars can be 85x85 px and are bigger now too Can you make mine bigger for me T? Or will i send it to you again for some editing!! I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me this morning coz i looked smalled than everyone else
biggrin.gif

Yup email it on over!

tony @ arwebinc.com (remove spaces)

Originally Posted by Laura

Can you make mine bigger for me T? Or will i send it to you again for some editing!! I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me this morning coz i looked smalled than everyone else
biggrin.gif

Ok, actually i've change my mind. It's not a great pic & i'll only look uglier if its bigger! I'm cool, thanks though
biggrin.gif

Oh come on, its a good one!! mail it on over....
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by Laura

Ok, actually i've change my mind. It's not a great pic & i'll only look uglier if its bigger! I'm cool, thanks though
biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Back