Sample Society August 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'm totally sold on this oil.  I wanted to see how it dried down / soaked it and smelled so I dabbed the smallest amount on the back of my hand.  It smells amazing, but 24 hours and several hand washings later the skin on the back of my hand is still super soft and smooth and just feels incredibly moisturized.  The back of my other hand feels sort of dry though and looks like the skin is tight.  The one I used the oil on has no tight feeling or look to it and I swear it looks like new skin.  I'm thinking if it does this to the back of my hand that I constantly put through hell with my insane hand washing then imagine what it'll do for my face.  :w00t:

I think I'm totally sold on this oil.  I wanted to see how it dried down / soaked it and smelled so I dabbed the smallest amount on the back of my hand.  It smells amazing, but 24 hours and several hand washings later the skin on the back of my hand is still super soft and smooth and just feels incredibly moisturized.  The back of my other hand feels sort of dry though and looks like the skin is tight.  The one I used the oil on has no tight feeling or look to it and I swear it looks like new skin.  I'm thinking if it does this to the back of my hand that I constantly put through hell with my insane hand washing then imagine what it'll do for my face.  :w00t:
Oh wow! That's actually really awesome - I have some scars on the back of my right hand that I have been using vitamin E oil to try and fade, but they are hanging on by a thread. From your description it sounds like I might switch to the KS oil and see if that is enough to fade them that last little bit.

I'm gonna break it out right now. Thanks for the update!

I'm really enjoying this revamp. Love the mix of products and the new booklet. I'd quit Sample Society to cut expenses a number of months ago and was tempted back.   Problem is that now I still have to cut expenses LOL   I am thinking I'll give it one more month to see if it stays so good and then drop Ipsy.

I'm also completely in love with the product booklet!  It's AMAZING that they give the drawbacks of each product (i.e. you need more of the Dilo Oil than the box says, if you want to cover your face/ don't put gloss over the Too Faced).  I was considering trying the mascara, but now that I know it gives a "natural" look, I'm going to pass it on.  

I just love that they're not doing the "OMG YAY everything is so amazing!  You'll love this! And this!  It's all so awesome!" *cue Lego Movie song "Everything is Awesome" in the background*   I understand that Birchbox/Ipsy feel like they have to be cheerleaders for every product, but it's so refreshing to get some honesty, lol.

I'm also completely in love with the product booklet!  It's AMAZING that they give the drawbacks of each product (i.e. you need more of the Dilo Oil than the box says, if you want to cover your face/ don't put gloss over the Too Faced).  I was considering trying the mascara, but now that I know it gives a "natural" look, I'm going to pass it on.  

I just love that they're not doing the "OMG YAY everything is so amazing!  You'll love this! And this!  It's all so awesome!" *cue Lego Movie song "Everything is Awesome" in the background*   I understand that Birchbox/Ipsy feel like they have to be cheerleaders for every product, but it's so refreshing to get some honesty, lol.
Seriously I am so impressed with the booklet.  It tells you how to use everything and potential problems of the product.  It's just so useful.

My skin has really been looking crap lately.  Today I exfoliated, used a few drops of the oil, and laid down for an hour (had to get up REALLY early to do something for work).  When I got back up, my skin looked amazing!  Even and glowy with no redness!  If this wasn't a coincidence and continued use keeps yielding these results, I'm gonna have to break down and buy some.

I loved that about the booklet, too. That is totally an Allure thing, it's one of the reason I love reading their Directory feature (although I will probably never visit any of the salons ever mentioned). :smilehappyyes:

Seriously I felt the same way about the booklet. I usually don't pay too much attention to the "info cards" in a lot of subscription boxes because like you said, they're always raving about whatever product it is, regardless of whether or not it's actually GOOD. I like reading why it's a good product, but what some of the drawbacks might be, or ways to use/not use the product. I feel like I had a much better handle on the items and which ones will work/not work for me after reading. Weirdly enough, it's one of my favorite things about the revamped Sample Society!

My skin has really been looking crap lately.  Today I exfoliated, used a few drops of the oil, and laid down for an hour (had to get up REALLY early to do something for work).  When I got back up, my skin looked amazing!  Even and glowy with no redness!  If this wasn't a coincidence and continued use keeps yielding these results, I'm gonna have to break down and buy some.
exfoliated - May I ask what product that you used for this? Thanks!!!

Oh wow! That's actually really awesome - I have some scars on the back of my right hand that I have been using vitamin E oil to try and fade, but they are hanging on by a thread. From your description it sounds like I might switch to the KS oil and see if that is enough to fade them that last little bit.

I'm gonna break it out right now. Thanks for the update!
I think I'm going to try it on the scar I have remaining from my carpal tunnel surgery a few months ago. I was advised to regularly rub it down with a good lotion, but if the oil is as much a miracle worker as everyone is describing, it certainly cannot hurt! 

Finally picked up my box from UPS today.

I'm actually really disappointed. I've been wanting to try the Too Faced melted for so long, and I was soso excited to get it...and then when I opened the box I realized this color will not suit me...at all. I did really really like the booklet though. It is actually quite handy.

exfoliated - May I ask what product that you used for this? Thanks!!!
I use Cure Aqua Gel.  I have rosacea, so my skin is VERY sensitive and I avoid any of the exfoliants with grit like the plague.  Cure is from Japan, and you can get it on Amazon.  It runs around $40/bottle, but my bottle lasted me about 6 months (although I often forget to use it twice a week).  The texture is like an aloe gel (and I think it contains some), and you rub it in a circular motion on your face.  It makes dead skin cells sort of pill up into little balls, which you just rinse away.  I really like it, and it's the only exfoliant I've found that I can use without aggravating my skin.

ETA ~ actually just looked and it's $33 (with Prime, if you have that for shipping) on Amazon right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Cure Aqua Gel.  I have rosacea, so my skin is VERY sensitive and I avoid any of the exfoliants with grit like the plague.  Cure is from Japan, and you can get it on Amazon.  It runs around $40/bottle, but my bottle lasted me about 6 months (although I often forget to use it twice a week).  The texture is like an aloe gel (and I think it contains some), and you rub it in a circular motion on your face.  It makes dead skin cells sort of pill up into little balls, which you just rinse away.  I really like it, and it's the only exfoliant I've found that I can use without aggravating my skin.

ETA ~ actually just looked and it's $33 (with Prime, if you have that for shipping) on Amazon right now.
That kind of product is my new favorite exfoliator. It sounds like the Grand Central Beauty SMART skin perfecting polisher they sell at Birchbox ($38). It was super gentle on my skin and you don't even need to rinse. If you're looking for something that pills up with a little more chemical exfoliation, the Real Chemistry peel and Sonya Dakar Flash Facial are nice.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I wish the polish were more orange and more neon. I love the color, but it's just not as orange or bright as I was  expecting it to be. Having said that, I'm really not fond of the Ciate formula. It's so thin. I got the pearl polish earlier in a Glossybox and figured since it was a light white color it was just meant to be thin, but I think it's just the polish.

I'm loving the revamp. This may be one of my favorite beauty boxes now.

I'm jealous of you double boxers lol. I was supposed to get my box today but ups delivered to the wrong address even though my address is correct. Now some boy has it -_- /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> because tracking says they met with customer-boy. Ugh!

@@meaganola I hope I attach this right!
broncos.8.7.jpg
The orange also works for the Browns aka the best team in football! ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm jealous of you double boxers lol. I was supposed to get my box today but ups delivered to the wrong address even though my address is correct. Now some boy has it -_- /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> because tracking says they met with customer-boy. Ugh!
I would be filing a complaint with UPS over that one. Sorry. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Heather, I totally will if my replacement doesn't come either. I kinda don't wanna go through the process. It sucks but I got to say I love beauty bar's customer service! I got a reply within 20 minutes and the guy was so sympathetic lol. "I'm terribly sorry to hear you didn't receive your box. We would never want to inconvenience our customers in this way, and I know how frustrated I would be if I were in your shoes, so I would be glad to assist in getting this resolved for you right away." Awesome.

Back