scarring i think

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
-male -combination skin, oily nose / forehead -had normal skin until i was 15 , 105lbs -starting working out, 1.5 years later hit 155lbs -starting getting pimples when i started hitting the gym maybe due to puberty or excess testosterone pumping in body -never did anything about it until i was almost 16 but always picked at skin and got scars, first got clindoxyl gel with 2.5% benzyol peroxide, didnt help much -next got minocyline pills and 5% hydroquinone for scars, minocycline helped a bit as well, hydroquinone bleached my skin a bit not that much but didnt seem to bleach the scars, btw all the treatments were used consistently not randomly -went to dermatologist for once less than a month ago, he didnt look at my skin under a microscope or anything he just gave me "84 erythromycin pills" along with "stievamycin gel" and its been 2.5 weeks my skin is pretty smooth for the most part just got a lot of freckle like scars     -in morning 8AM before school use garnier fresh gel cleanser for normal / combination skin -after cleansing apply La roche posay effaclar M mattifying moisturizer -after school go gym, when arrive home at 6PM use face cleanser again -before bed use Aveeno Cream Cleanser for Acne prone skin , exfoliates with microbeads and salicyclic acid, not sure whether to use this every night or every few days since its an exfoliator   this is what my skin looks like, mainly the scarring is on my cheeks, i think its scarring its post acne marks that are smooth like freckles :        any advice on how to get rid of this would be gerattly appreciated its really ruining my confidence, hate smiling/laughing because it makes the scarring show more, also hate sweating in gym class because it makes face all red and before when i had normal skin i loved sports ):     ***mod edited - photo embedded (please embed your photos by using the button beside the film strip.

A few thing:

Make sure you use a sunscreen on your face now. This will help prevent sunburning (as stievimycin makes your skin more sensitive to the sun.

Also, the sun has a tendency to make any scarring worse. So applying sunscreen will help with the scarring as well.

Look for an oil free sunscreen of 30 spf - both Olay and Neutrogena have them. Or ask the pharmacist as they will also know what to recommend.

I assume that your doctor told you to use a liquid cleanser - soap bars can clog pores due to the wax inside them. Cera Ve is a good brand from drug store.

The stievimycin has some exfoliative properties. But you might want to exfoliate as well. All you would be doing is sloughing off dead skin cells quicker than what they would fall off on their own.

An inexpensive exfoliating method is mixing a tsp of baking soda with 2 tsp of liquid cleanser. Mix into a paste then apply to skin in small circular motions. do this for a minute, covering your entire face. Rince well. Then apply just cleanser and rince well. Sometimes the baking soda can be a bit drying so you want to remove all of it.

Exfoliate once a week is fine.

Be patience as the scarring will fade. If you take pictures 6 months from now, you will see a big difference.

The sunscreen looks fine. Post a picture in about 6 weeks.

I'll bet you'll see a difference then.

Best of luck

i went to the dermotologist yesterday he gave me another 2 month supply of erythromycin pills, these are good because they seem to not make any new acne appear on my face, on top of daily cleansing, i'm following ur advice and exfoliating once a week on a weekend, would you recommend applying lemon juice with a cotton ball before bed daily to speed the process and putting sunscreen every mornning?

-daily cleansing

-exfoliate once a week

-lemon juice with cotton ball every night before bed

-sunscreen before leaving house every morning

also if using the lemon juice would u spread it on your face just once a day and leave it on and go to bed with it, or wash it off after a while

thanks

In my opinion, lemon juice is really harsh and can be an irritant.

Right now, follow the doctor's advice and also baby your skin - nothing abrasive.

The erythomicin are antibiotics that are helping to kill any bacteria internally, which finds its ways into your pores.

The stieva is working to also kill acne topically, and help repair your skin because of the scarring (by increasing collagen production).

One step you might consider is a toner

AM

- wash your face and let dry

- then apply toner to your face and let dry

- then apply sunscreen

Even if you aren't going outside right away, the sun's rays can still get you through house and car windows

PM

- wash face and let dry

- apply toner to your face and let dry

- apply stieva at least 1/2 hour after toner

Exfoliant once a week

If you find that your skin if feeling too dry, back away from the toner and apply a very light film of Vaseline to dry areas of face a few minutes after applying sunscreen/ or a good hour after you apply the Stieva.

I believe that Neutrogena has a decent toner (will look just like water - apply with a cotton pad)

Or you could consider making one with 50%water and 50%witch hazel

If 50/50 is too strong, try more water and less witch hazel.

Both pads and witch hazel can be found at dollar store or drug store.

Note - This kind of toner should be used on those with oily skin.

So stay away from lemon juice.

The last thing you want to happen is get a red, sore, irritated face by being too agressive with your acne treatment.

This could cause you to abandon all the good work your doctor is doing for you.

Remember - slow and steady wins the race.

Consider introducing a toner - let me know how you are doing.

hey just got some witch hazel and some cotton pads, i will do the 50/50 toner

i will stay away from the lemon juice,

in the AM you said:

AM

- wash your face and let dry

- then apply toner to your face and let dry

- then apply sunscreen

do I still put on moisturizer after the toner or will the sunscreen do just fine? they're both by La roche posay and both leave  a matte finish

thanks for your help

I was thinking that your sunscreen contained moisturizer.

Would it be inconvenient to call, email, visit where you purchased the La roche posay sunscreen and moisturizer. .                                                                           

Ask them if you mix the two, would it have any ill affects on the spf of the sunscreen.

If they say it's ok, mix a dime size of each in your palm, before applying.

If they say to apply them separately, save the moisturizer for the evening - a good hour after you applied the Stieva.

You can always pm me too.

Back