Scary MUAs

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Now see, I went to the MAC counter in a mall that I had forgotten even had a MAC counter (Hecht's - who knew!!)... well anyway, I wanted to try some stuff but I already had a full face of makeup and I really couldn't trust the MUAs cuz they ALL looked scary!!!.. I mean I know you want to be trendy and stylish but OMG I shouldn't see your eyes waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay across the room... so now I'm scared of the MAC counter... I feel that I can't trust the MUAs because I don't want to end up looking like them...
icon_cry.gif

Originally Posted by QurlySq Now see, I went to the MAC counter in a mall that I had forgotten even had a MAC counter (Hecht's - who knew!!)... well anyway, I wanted to try some stuff but I already had a full face of makeup and I really couldn't trust the MUAs cuz they ALL looked scary!!!.. I mean I know you want to be trendy and stylish but OMG I shouldn't see your eyes waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay across the room... so now I'm scared of the MAC counter... I feel that I can't trust the MUAs because I don't want to end up looking like them...
icon_cry.gif
yeah, i know what you mean. there is one at the MAC freestanding store i go too.. she is blond, tall and pale toned and she wears BLAZING colors. But I have seen her working on customers before and she does a great job. usually the blazing colors she wears are the latest releases.. they can be ..."creative".. with their makeup, but i am sure they know better then to make a customer like that..

I know how that is!! I like the crazy bright colors, but the Nordstrom MAC counter that I usually end up at there are about half a dozen of the MAs with the trendy bright colors. One woman wouldn't be so bad, but everyone at the counter is a little much. I generally avoid the counters as much as possible anyway.

Hello, ladies!

As a MUA at Benefit cosmetics, I find that a lot of my customers act that they cannot trust me only because I wear thick eyeliner or bright lipstick. "Don't make me look like you." Is the common quote at my store and I often become offended by that. Just because I like to wear bright colors and thick eyeliner doesn't mean I am going to send my customers off with the same look. I ask my customers what they want and let them pick colors first before I suggest anything. I allow them to hold a mirror up while I am working and even ask them to apply their own liner and lipstick only because most people already know how to do that and have their own style. If I am doing an entire makeover, I don't go through technique as much because usually they need to get to a wedding or prom in a few hours. MAC wears heavy makeup so that you CAN see them across the room. It's like a walking advertisement for the brand. I love their look and I encourage some of my co-workers to go a little crazy sometimes and put on the pink eyeliner. Makeup is all about having fun and feeling good about yourself, and that's exactly why I am in this business.

Originally Posted by QurlySq Now see, I went to the MAC counter in a mall that I had forgotten even had a MAC counter (Hecht's - who knew!!)... well anyway, I wanted to try some stuff but I already had a full face of makeup and I really couldn't trust the MUAs cuz they ALL looked scary!!!.. I mean I know you want to be trendy and stylish but OMG I shouldn't see your eyes waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay across the room... so now I'm scared of the MAC counter... I feel that I can't trust the MUAs because I don't want to end up looking like them...
icon_cry.gif
How unusual that the MAC MUAs all over are applying their cosmetics so hideously. But not here. The MUAs apply their makeup very appropriately, mostly using the neutral shades. Actually mostly conservative.

You shouldn't let an MA's makeup scare you off. Some of the craziest, avante-garde makeup artists can make the most beautiful natural looks. A MA's personal choices have nothing to do with what they'd choose for you. We know that "non- MA's" can't get away with the looks we choose for work. I say give it a try! It's just makeup, you can wash it down the sink if you want...lol! Good Luck!
icon_razz.gif

Originally Posted by BeneBaby You shouldn't let an MA's makeup scare you off. Some of the craziest, avante-garde makeup artists can make the most beautiful natural looks. A MA's personal choices have nothing to do with what they'd choose for you. We know that "non- MA's" can't get away with the looks we choose for work. I say give it a try! It's just makeup, you can wash it down the sink if you want...lol! Good Luck!
icon_razz.gif
Well said BeneBaby!
I know that I've scared a few with my avant-garde blazing colors, but it's just like Scarlette said: our makeup is a walking advertisement. My makeup is basically my uniform & I love the fact that I work for a company like MAC that allows me to be creative & try new things. But I love doing natural, minimalistic makeups on people too! And most importantly, I like to get to know where someone is coming from (career, lifestyles, feelings about color, skin type, how much time they want to spend getting ready etc) BEFORE I start applying their makeup. I don't want you to feel like you're looking at a stranger in the mirror!

The MAC MA's in my area mostly seem like they don't know how to do makeup. One MA used blue e/s and literally made me look like Mimi from the Drew Carey show... seriously, everyone in the mall stared at me... SERIOUSLY, it was SO bad. This other MAC MA put blush ONLY on the tops of my cheekbones near the hairline/eye area. I mean, WHO blushes on the side of their eye!?!?!? And then there was the one MAC MA that swore to me that the lip lacquer that looked BLACK on my lips was great on me. Ya, I never trust her opinion @ all anymore.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Also, when I went to buy Studiofix powder, three different MAC MA's could not, for the life of them, match me. One sent me off with NC35, which was too light for me. The next darker NC shade was too dark for me. FINALLY, when I went to this one MA at the freestanding store, he properly matched me at a C3. However, he rubbed the powder with the brush much too hard and got powder all over me. It was literally a powder storm.
icon_lol.gif

So, long story short, I just ask them for a brush, etc and do it myself. When they put makeup on me, I never want to buy it. While I am sure some MA's would do an awesome job, I've had pretty much only bad experiences so I'll just handle it myself, thank you.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

icon_cheesygrin.gif
icon_cheesygrin.gif
icon_cheesygrin.gif
icon_cheesygrin.gif
icon_cheesygrin.gif
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I feel sooooooooooooo much better now... Because I think that since that's the only MAC Counter where I see MUA's pretty regularly, and since the MAC colors can be so bold, it's what scared me... I have no problem with taking risks and wearing the bright colors but I just really think that there's a way to do it and my nervousness came because I didn't see those techniques applied with the MUAs that helped me... I'm thinking that I'll go by the counter at Nordstrom though because the last time I was there, their MUAs wore colors and styles more similar to my style...

I wish there had been someone getting their makeup done while I was there.. that would have helped loads...

But, it's still a don't judge a book by it's cover... but a girl can be gunshy...
icon_redface.gif

That's exactly how the MUA who helped me looked. Now I was wearing blues yesterday as well, but she forreal had the thick blue Mimi look going on... and then when I mentioned I was wearing blue, she tested a color on her hand to show me how to use a base color and she chose a blue almost exact to what she was wearing...
icon_neutral.gif
Originally Posted by wongy74 One MA used blue e/s and literally made me look like Mimi from the Drew Carey show... seriously, everyone in the mall stared at me... SERIOUSLY, it was SO bad.

But see, if your avatar is an indication of how you wear your makeup for work, that's like leaps and bounds less "out there" as the people that I saw yesterday... The best way for me to describe it was borderline (and over the line) drag queen...

I like your makeup...
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by Scarlette Hello, ladies!
As a MUA at Benefit cosmetics, I find that a lot of my customers act that they cannot trust me only because I wear thick eyeliner or bright lipstick. "Don't make me look like you." Is the common quote at my store and I often become offended by that. Just because I like to wear bright colors and thick eyeliner doesn't mean I am going to send my customers off with the same look. I ask my customers what they want and let them pick colors first before I suggest anything. I allow them to hold a mirror up while I am working and even ask them to apply their own liner and lipstick only because most people already know how to do that and have their own style. If I am doing an entire makeover, I don't go through technique as much because usually they need to get to a wedding or prom in a few hours. MAC wears heavy makeup so that you CAN see them across the room. It's like a walking advertisement for the brand. I love their look and I encourage some of my co-workers to go a little crazy sometimes and put on the pink eyeliner. Makeup is all about having fun and feeling good about yourself, and that's exactly why I am in this business.

Originally Posted by Msfashionguru I know exactly where your coming from. I try to think that MAC wouldn't hire anyone that does crappy makeup. They might look a little scary, but I try to think that they are there for a reason. In my experience, they do the best makeup.The manager at my local counter is very Gothic looking. Has 2 piercings in her lips. dark makeup. She put that studio tech foundation on my mom so well you couldn't tell she had makeup on. So what I'm trying to say is look over their appearance or you might miss out on some great makeup tips.

Excellent point!!!!Sometimes a makeup artist can be more daring on herself than a customer.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by Scarlette Hello, ladies!

Greats points!!!!!
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back