Schooled or self-taught

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Trisha I am self taught also! x Wow! Seeing your work on here I thought for sure you had schooling. You have a really great talent!
smile.gif

I'm self taught but would love to getting schooling for both cosmetics and nails. Someday...

I've been a mua for a few years now, so I'm really self taught. BUT I did recently go to makeup school...the only thing I really learned from it is male makeup and bruises and aging. As far as beauty and fashion makeup for women, my teacher said I knew more than her and my style was way more advanced than hers.

Natalyiah.jpg

(hair/makeup by Candace Corey)

I am self taught, but I have been doing makeup for 20 years and there weren't schools back when I started, like there are today. So that is all you had.....your talent and a prayer.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Candace Corey
Makeup/Hair
www.candacecorey.com

i been to school for esthetics and now have my license. they only teach the basics in school so you have to be willing to experiment. some of my best work was when i was just playing around!

icon_rolleyes.gif
well at 48 yo I'm still expermentin...cant say self taught yet cus I still have a lot to learn...don't get to practic everyday though..

Paula

I went to school but I already had a good grasp on it and also feel that you learn more when you are playing around. The things I learned in school that helped me were the theory classes that teach you about colors and which colors make eachother stand out. As far as technique in application,The best way to get better is to step out of your comfort zone. The one thing I didn't like was the whole "rules" thing. It's true that some colors look better on certain people but that doesn't mean anyone can't carry off a color, if done correctly. I personally do not feel I have ever mastered makeup and I always want to keep learning and growing.

I was also self taught, but did go to school to get licensed. I learned more by putting it on and taking it off and putting it on, etc......

Originally Posted by genie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smile.gif
hi all! genie here. i am 50 years old and have been wearing makeup since i was three. i am a makeup junkie and i have taught myself techniques. i do makeup for friends and advise them on purchases. i am, actually, an historian but my true career is makeup, makeup, makeup and more makeup. with 47 years experience i still can't get enough of makeup talk and info with other cosmetic lovers. always your friend That could be my story, but I am a sociologist. Though.

Self taught all the way. Neither my mother nor my sisters wears makeup, and we don't have classes around where I live where you can learn how to apply makeup.

I picked it op on my own in my teens and then went to makeup school to refine my work. Not to mention its easier to get a job in the industry when ou have a name behind you. Taking the beauty course was a waste of time/money for me, but I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED learning all of the SFX things.

I'm completely self taught. I never went to school for it because you only need a license if you want to work in a salon or spa, and I never had the desire to work in either one. I always dreamed of freelancing, and that's what I do...

i'm by no means a pro, but i do love makeup and experimenting with it, and i consider myself to be pretty good at it :) but i'm self taught all the way- well, unless you count watching endless youtube videos til the wee hours of the night
tongue.gif

well i started with just colour on my lids

then i tried two colours

then i watched videos on youtube and started experimenting alot

i dont think anyone can just learn it tho

its like any art... you cant just pick up a pencil and draw without artistic flair

its just something you would pick up over the years

and people like us who love doing it, take it further!

Self taught. I have always been into my makeup. I love reading up and doing research on different techniques and methods. Its fun....

I self taught but also picked up tips from beauty magazines, cosmeticians in drug and dept stores.

Self-taught through experimentation, trial and error. I pick up a lot of look ideas from magazines such as Cosmopolitan, and a lot of techniques from tutorials on Youtube.

Just practice, practice, practice! = best way to learn

Back