Schooled or self-taught

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben

Reaction score
i know that this prob has been done a million times but i am curious to know how many of you ladies went to make-up school and how many of you picked it up on thier own...

i learned on my own along with lots of MAC makeovers. hehehehe

Originally Posted by ben i know that this prob has been done a million times but i am curious to know how many of you ladies went to make-up school and how many of you picked it up on thier own... I taught myself..but I have also read a lot of magazines and tips from makeup artists and from that developed my own style
butfly1.gif

i've been into makeup since before pre-teen years... i've practiced on soooooooooooooooooo many people, and turned out some good faces, so i'm definitely self-taught... i read books when i find them, i pay attention to the magazine tips, watch tv stuff about it... anything makeup, i'm trying to be there... oh, plus i used to do avon and mary kay so you get some training with that too (sometimes)... so maybe i'm just 99% self-taught....

I'm mostly self taught, but I did pick learn a bit in my high school theater department. I would love to go to MU school one day, but I'm so busy with so many other things right now I have no idea when I might get a chance to do that.

I took Cosmetology during high school for 2 years... while it focused mainly on hair - I did learn makeup, skincare, and nails as well... the rest is just trial n' error on my own
wink.gif

I learned both ways, from cosmotology in school to "trial and error". Plus i read a whole lot.. Doing portraiture photography has helped. My subjects come with bare clean faces and undone hair.. Ya know.. let me post a picture for ya'll to see...

Hope you like it.

Originally Posted by ben i know that this prob has been done a million times but i am curious to know how many of you ladies went to make-up school and how many of you picked it up on thier own... I practiced (and still do) a lot on any face that I could get a hold of
smile.gif
I also read a lot of books regarding makeup applications (love the Bobbi Brown and Kevyn Aucoin ones). On that note, I still decided to enroll in a makeup school for next year (as I'm pregnant with our second child right now, and will give birth in October). I just wanted to make sure that I'm doing things "right", and I guess it'll give me more self-confidenc too. I also want to join a union later so that I can work on film and TV, and I think a makeup school would help a lot in improving my techniques.

Originally Posted by MacForMe I learned both ways, from cosmotology in school to "trial and error". Plus i read a whole lot.. Doing portraiture photography has helped. My subjects come with bare clean faces and undone hair.. Ya know.. let me post a picture for ya'll to see...
Hope you like it.

Nice pic Lauryn!!
wink.gif

Truly self taught, my mom nor my aunts wear makeup. I would sit in front of the mirror and make up my face, wash it off and start over and over again needless to say when I did this my face was raw before it was over. LOL
hahaha.gif

smile.gif
hi all! genie here. i am 50 years old and have been wearing makeup since i was three. i am a makeup junkie and i have taught myself techniques. i do makeup for friends and advise them on purchases. i am, actually, an historian but my true career is makeup, makeup, makeup and more makeup. with 47 years experience i still can't get enough of makeup talk and info with other cosmetic lovers. always your friend

Originally Posted by genie
smile.gif
hi all! genie here. i am 50 years old and have been wearing makeup since i was three. i am a makeup junkie and i have taught myself techniques. i do makeup for friends and advise them on purchases. i am, actually, an historian but my true career is makeup, makeup, makeup and more makeup. with 47 years experience i still can't get enough of makeup talk and info with other cosmetic lovers. always your friend Welcome to MUT! Glad to have you here!

Originally Posted by Trisha I am self taught also! x OMG SERIOUSLY!???!!... Trisha, you are my hero!!!.. to be that super talented with no formal training is phenomenal...
claps.gif
.. that gives me hope for my MA aspirations/dreams...

i pretty much am self taught,but i did go to school so i could be licensed .i think you just get better with time and practice,and i always had a thing for colors,putting them together in harmony and what not
smile.gif

Quote:
as ive said before, all my favourite artists are self taught, i hate being constricted by rules x
Well said!!!!!!
claps.gif
claps.gif
I think the same

I'm completely 100% self taught. I went through plenty of trial and errors, beauty blunders, and horrible makeup though. I've practiced for years and years to come up to the level I am today:icon_love

I'm definitely self taught, I had to be. I come from an area where there's not alot of makeup choices for black women. I remember going to stores looking for a powder and the darkest shade was for an olive tone. I did alot of experimenting and can now come up with a lot of funky combos for my skin tone.

Latest posts

Back