Self image and weight loss

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
"Self-Image Important To Your Weight Loss"

Several days ago on television, a famous singer

was talking about his weight loss and the battles

he had fought keeping it off. One thing he said

that struck me was... "No matter how much weight I

lose, I STILL see myself as OVERWEIGHT."

Our self image is so very important while losing

and maintaining our weight. We all can probably

relate to what the singer is saying. Being

comfortable with yourself, at whatever stage of

weight loss you are in, is fundamental. This can

actually be our biggest challenge of all.

We all want to lose weight to look better, but it

is not the be-all - end-all of weight loss. The

other benefits such as feeling great, being

healthy, and just knowing that you are a

beautiful, unique, wonderful human being is so

much more important.

Be kind to yourself when you look at yourself in

the mirror and see that great person you know is

looking back... and not as someone OVERWEIGHT.

Think about all the people who depend on you each

day for that smiling face.... And, smile back!

LOVES it Tess.. Great article. Since i started losing weight I am really seeing the other benefits as you mentioned. I feel much healthier, my skin is glowing & i'm a more positive person.

Hi Laura,

How much did you loose and what is your routine? I always struggle with only 2 kg, it isn't much but it bothers me when I can't get into my nice clothes... I eat very healthy but my only weakness is chocolate
icon_sad.gif

Originally Posted by Laura LOVES it Tess.. Great article. Since i started losing weight I am really seeing the other benefits as you mentioned. I feel much healthier, my skin is glowing & i'm a more positive person.

Originally Posted by lilla Hi Laura,How much did you loose and what is your routine? I always struggle with only 2 kg, it isn't much but it bothers me when I can't get into my nice clothes... I eat very healthy but my only weakness is chocolate
icon_sad.gif

Have you tried Pilates? It's a great way to tone up
icon_cheesygrin.gif
Although I have to get over my laziness and actually do it!
icon_neutral.gif
Great article Tess! It's true, because we all have times when we get a new outfit that fits really well, or our makeup looks good and we go out thinking we look great, and the "oh I'm fat" thoughts just seem to disappear. And if many things are "mind over matter" then it wouldn't be too unusual for weight to be like that too
redface.gif

I totally agree with you. This is a great point! We all have our reasons for wanting to lose weight or be more active and look better but many times we forget about what really matters and that by changing yourself outside doesn't change the inside. You still need to love yourself for what's inside and feel good about yourself or the weightloss or any other change you make outside is not going to bring happiness. There is so much more to feeling good about yourself and being happy than your appearance.

Originally Posted by Reija(admin) I totally agree with you. This is a great point! We all have our reasons for wanting to lose weight or be more active and look better but many times we forget about what really matters and that by changing yourself outside doesn't change the inside. You still need to love yourself for what's inside and feel good about yourself or the weightloss or any other change you make outside is not going to bring happiness. There is so much more to feeling good about yourself and being happy than your appearance. Yup! And remember, no matter how bad you think you look - there is always someone out there that would KILL to look like you!
icon_wink.gif

This is a great post Tess. As a whole, I feel that society is so exterior-conscious rather than interior-conscious.

I finally came to accept that I'll NEVER be a size 0 no matter how hard I try b/c it's not w/in my genetic makeup & would prefer not to be that tiny. It goes both ways though--I've seen people bash both the thin & overweight.

I just wish that little girls would learn to accept their bodies the way they are rather than how they think the public wants them to be. I didn't like that my niece wanted to be Britney Spears last Halloween, b/c I don't feel she's a good physical role model for any young girl. I mentioned some curvier & fit celebrities such as Beyonce, Pink & Jessica Simpson & she didn't know who any of them were.

As long as Hollywood, (Film & Music) & the Fashion world continuously place "thin" or "buff" on a pedestal, body image will harm both women & men. Unfortunately, body image among men isn't as widely discussed as it is w/women. Hopefully, that will someday change.

Pilates

I just started this on my off days from the gym. Bit difficult at first, but you feel very good afterward and sore the next day.

Originally Posted by lilla Hi Laura,How much did you loose and what is your routine? I always struggle with only 2 kg, it isn't much but it bothers me when I can't get into my nice clothes... I eat very healthy but my only weakness is chocolate
icon_sad.gif

HI Lilla, sorry for the late reply. I didn't see your reply until now. I had lost 13lbs since November but in the past 6 weeks my routine has gone out the window & i've put on 5
icon_lol.gif

Basically i stick to a low calorie diet (1500) a day & try to do some exercise (even if its 10 minutes jogging on the spot) every day. Then i allow myself a treat at the weekends. Oh & i drink lots of water too. Best of luck

Have you noticed that since Britney went "trailer trash" she got a beer belly?!?! Not fat, but a big, swollen beer gut. I mean she's bigger than the curvier girls you mentioned, for gawd's sake!

Btw, I don't think Pink or Jessica Simpson are much more than just skinny girls... Beyonce's got a curvier hips thing going on, but that's just genetic, like J. Lo. Anyway, point being that Pink, Jessica Simpson, and Beyonce seem to be skinnier than Britney nowadays.

Maybe your niece has only heard of Britney cause she's a bigger star. (Although the others are certainly catching up, if not already there.)

Originally Posted by keaLoha This is a great post Tess. As a whole, I feel that society is so exterior-conscious rather than interior-conscious.
I finally came to accept that I'll NEVER be a size 0 no matter how hard I try b/c it's not w/in my genetic makeup & would prefer not to be that tiny. It goes both ways though--I've seen people bash both the thin & overweight.

I just wish that little girls would learn to accept their bodies the way they are rather than how they think the public wants them to be. I didn't like that my niece wanted to be Britney Spears last Halloween, b/c I don't feel she's a good physical role model for any young girl. I mentioned some curvier & fit celebrities such as Beyonce, Pink & Jessica Simpson & she didn't know who any of them were.

As long as Hollywood, (Film & Music) & the Fashion world continuously place "thin" or "buff" on a pedestal, body image will harm both women & men. Unfortunately, body image among men isn't as widely discussed as it is w/women. Hopefully, that will someday change.

Thanks Laura
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Laura HI Lilla, sorry for the late reply. I didn't see your reply until now. I had lost 13lbs since November but in the past 6 weeks my routine has gone out the window & i've put on 5
icon_lol.gif

Basically i stick to a low calorie diet (1500) a day & try to do some exercise (even if its 10 minutes jogging on the spot) every day. Then i allow myself a treat at the weekends. Oh & i drink lots of water too. Best of luck

Originally Posted by Nooly What is "pilates" ???? As you probably saw in Sofia's link she posted... it's a really good way to tone up. Dancers have been doing it for the longest time. I love that 90% of it is done lying on the ground in some way (very good for lazy ol' me! lol) and you don't break a sweat at all! (also a nice plus!) So it really doesn't feel like your working out at all, but the exercises really do kill ya the next day - and you definitely see a difference. Try a DVD for doing it at home (Crunch, MTV & Winsor Pilates are great ones!)
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I'm watching "I want a Famous Face" on MTV right now... this girl Brandy wants to look like Carmen Electra (implants, lip injections, nose job etc.) OMG I'd kill to look like this girl and she wants plastic surgery!!! What the heck!??!?!
icon_eek.gif
Anyone wanna smack this girl with me...? Put on MTV!!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

i know, that episode pissed me off. and she had such a tool boyfriend.

Originally Posted by lizzyb831 i know, that episode pissed me off. and she had such a tool boyfriend. Yah really, that girl was beautiful and she was all worried about what that loser guy thought of her, she could have done way better than him. He should have felt lucky to have her!

Latest posts

Back