Semi ethical dilemma: what would you do?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ok, today my bf and I went to watch the beginning of the sydney to hobart yacht race from sydney heads. It was an absolutely beautiful day and as a result the area around the best viewing places were swarming with people. Because of this we had to park quite far back and ended up having to walk a good 45 minutes to get to the beach we ended up watching the race from.

I wasnt expecting to walk so far and so I was only wearing simple jelly bean flip flops which ended up creating massive deep blisters on the balls and heels of my feet.

Now here is my dilemma:

I'm supposed to be working for 8 hours tomorrow and I cant even stand, let alone walk. I need to tell my boss that I cant work because I'm of this, but blisters seems like such a lame excuse. what would you say to my boss if you were me? would you tell the truth or would you lie and say you'd sprained your ankle or something that sounds worse? (I don't think she's going to believe they're bad enough to take time off work)

I guess I'm just not sure what to say. These blisters have to be seen to be believed. I am hobbling around the house, barely able to move. They're about the size of a grape or larger, and because they're so deep under the skin they wont burst, so it burns to walk and there's a lot of pressure put on them. I actually sat down on the side of the road on the way back to the car and cried.

I want to wait until tomorrow morning to call since maybe I'll be better overnight, and since she's on holiday today I don't want to ruin it for her
frown.gif

I guess while im here, I might as well ask what, if anything, I can do to help heal these blisters as quickly as possible?

what should I do! I'm in so much pain!

I had blisters 2 weeks ago and the best thing to do is let them be...

but just incase - I found this helpful for me:

Blisters

About the work, tell your boss the truth. If your boss is a jerk - then lie. But if they're pretty chill, I wouldn't be embarrassed to tell them the truth. That's just me... I'll tell my boss I won't go to work for whatever reason. I feel like I can since I rarely asked for a day off (I think I'm on my 2nd leave of the year because of the cold... and one week I had jury duty) - I'm guessing you're like that too, not having too many days off.

Hope you're feet aren't hurting no more, woman... think *happy feet* thoughts.

If you have to stand for work or walk around a lot then you have a valid excuse. Tell the truth. It's not a lame excuse. The other way you could handle it is go in, let her see how badly you move and let her send you home. Sprained ankles usually last for more than a day.

I also think you should just tell her the truth. Being a woman boss, she may have had shoes that caused bad blisters before, and will know how you are feeling!! But if she isn't an understanding boss, then I personally would probably lie a bit and say I have the bad blisters and a sprained ankle!!!!

I've called in sick to a job before because of blisters. like you i was in agony and at the time i was working in a shoe shop, on my feet all day running up and down stairs to get shoes for customers. i was embarrassed saying i had to take the day off cos of blisters cos i thought it sounded lame but my boss agreed and just said "its not really a job you can do without use of your feet is it?" but she was pretty cool.

if your boss is a complete ogre, i would just tell her you hurt your foot so bad you can barely even stand. its not a lie. but if she's ok and understanding then tell her the truth. that you have a very deep, very large blister, you can hardly move with it and were hoping it would be better but its not.

thanks chickens.. she was pissed off because it will be difficult to find someone to cover the shift, but I called in as early as I could, and I told the truth - that I did want to come in because I could use the money, but that I just wasnt able to stand.

I hate confrontation like this, but you guys made me feel much better
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by pinksugar /img/forum/go_quote.gif thanks chickens.. she was pissed off because it will be difficult to find someone to cover the shift, but I called in as early as I could, and I told the truth - that I did want to come in because I could use the money, but that I just wasnt able to stand.
biggrin.gif

I'm glad she wasn't a total witch about it. At least you told the truth and now you won't have any guilt.

UGH.......I feel you!!.. That happened to me and we didn't even walk THAT much and i got HORRIBLE blisters.

Hope those go away soon for ya!.

Originally Posted by pinksugar /img/forum/go_quote.gif thanks chickens.. she was pissed off because it will be difficult to find someone to cover the shift, but I called in as early as I could, and I told the truth - that I did want to come in because I could use the money, but that I just wasnt able to stand.
biggrin.gif

She shouldn't be pissed. Blisters are painful and a whole bunch is like agony. Plus they couldve gotten infected...

It's not like you called out from a hangover
smile.gif

Hope you feel better!

You poor thing! Hope your feet feel better now. Sh&t happens, and it's not like you got blisters on purpose! I personally would go back to work the next day and show her exactly why you called in, make her think twice about getting pissed off at you. LOL

When I played basketball, I would get blisters, and I had this stuff called mole skin and it is like a cushioned pad thing that you cut a hole in so the blister won't rub on your shoes. It worked wonders. I think you can get it at Wal-mart. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back