Sephora + Pantone Universe Color of the Year 2012 Collector's Edition Photos and Swatches

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If you are obsessed with orange as much as I am then you're probably aware that the Pantone Color of the Year for 2012 is Tangerine Tango.  It practically EVERYWHERE!  Last night I saw that Pantone collaborated with Sephora to release a makeup set based on it and literally ran out to Sephora this morning to check it out.  Even though the new Sephora website said it was available, when I walked in this morning and it wasn't out!  They said they weren't officially rolling it out until Tuesday the 27th and no one knew if they could sell it to me or not yet.  The manager came out and said YES, if you want it I will sell it!

Super cute right?!  The set retails for $68 and comes with 1 eyeliner, 1 eyeshadow quad, 1 prisma chrome blush, 1 blush duo, 1 creme lipstick, and 1 lip gloss.

This eyeliner comes in a plastic barrel and twists up at the bottom.  A sharpener is also included in the bottom of the pencil.

With flash.

With natural light.

Packaging is very similar to the Inglot palettes except this is all plastic and therefore doesn't weight as much.

With flash.

I had high hopes for this eyeshadow quad, but I kind of had a feeling that since it was a Sephora shadow that it would not perform well.  This was the best I could do with swatches.  I'll give it a try on my eye lid with some UDPP and see how it goes but I'm pretty sure this is not a keeper.

This is the Prisma Chrome Blush in Apricot Brandy.  Cute packaging with a mirror inside.

Natural light.

With a flash.

In natural light.

I think this is suppose to be a highlight and will be interesting to see how it actually looks on the cheeks.  After the photo I rubbed it and it's practically gone.  It has a lot of microfine glitter which for me at 38 may not work for me.

Here is the blush duo in Coral and Desert Flower.  Same packaging as the eyeshadow quad.

With a flash.

Here is the Creme Lipstick.  I love the packing on this!  The top is magnetic!

With a flash.

With a flash.  The patch on the left is several swipes and the patch on the right is one swipe.

In natural light.

I liked the way this feels on my lips so far and the color works well on my half asian yellow toned skin.  When I wiped the swatches off my arm it didn't leave any stain marks.

And lastly the lip gloss.

With flash.  The patch on the left is the lip gloss on it's own, and the patch on the right is the lip gloss over the lip stick.

In natural light.

So there you have it!  I haven't tried it all on my face yet so I don't think I can give a straight forward review of it all just yet.  Unfortunately I do think the eyeshadow quad is a bust for me.  I have similar colors from Inglot that I think I can use and are so much more pigmented that I will go great with the eyeliner which I loved so far.

Thank you for the swatches! I'm so excited to try out this color. I probably should have gone in store to try it out first, but I was just so excited about it that I couldn't wait! 

I caved and bought the whole set! I asked the gals in my SiJCP if they were getting it and they said "We've got it--want to see testers?"

I had already ordered the eyeliner set (with 3 liners) and the eye shadow quad on sephora.com, but wanted to see those blushes, so she showed me this same set and told me I could return the other stuff to them when I got it in the mail.  I kind of wanted to see the 3 liners in the set but she said the other two were a basic black and brown, both with a little glitter in it...I guess I already have those colors, so I just bought the set. 

Not sure how the lipstick is going to wear on me--it seems kind of bright, but I have yellow/orange coloring so I hope it'll be ok--I just can't layer it on or it'll be too bright. 

I haven't used it or swatched any of it yet so I can't wait to try it!

Thanks so much for posting the pictures! I've been wanting the whole set but wasn't sure if it would work for me. I'm still thinking I need it though.
smile.gif
Congrats on your purchase!

ORANGE EYELINER?!? alright then... lol. It looks like a lip gloss to me, lol :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I like the lipstick, but I can't justify another orange-y lippie. I have a few too many already, and I don't wear them often enough (stupid, semi-conservative work environment). :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I just picked up the eyeliner set today. Havent swatched them yet, but I'll let you ladies know when I do.

The lipgloss looks dreamy <3

After testing the wear of the entire collection I have come to conclusion that the eyeliner is the gem of the set.  The color is unique and wears decent.  The set of 3 eyeliners is $22 and you could always gift the brown and black ones if all you want is the tangerine one.

Runner up was the lipstick and lipgloss.  It went on smooth and the color is slightly more opaque than a Revlon Lip Butter with the wear being about the same.  For me I needed to reapply it often and didn't survive more than a few drinks.  I loved the color and packaging but for $18 you might want to put your money towards something that wears longer.

The eyeshadow quad was a disappointment but as I said previously I kind of expected it to be.  All 4 colors look great in the pan but when applied to the eye it left me thinking "that's it?"  The orange color was not as bright or bold and had a lot of fallout after several attempts to pack it on the lid with a MAC 239 shader brush.  All 4 colors were very subtle and the wear was less than average.

The blush duo didn't work for me either unfortunately.  The color is great but the wear was less than average.

And the prisma chrome was too glittery for me.

It's weird, because for me, the eyeliner is the least favorite of mine out of the set, along with the two darker colors of eyeshadow. 

I have NW15 toned skin, that's very pale but warm toned, so I have a lot of red in my face already. I feel like the eyeliner in the collectors set isn't so much orange, as reddish orange. It looks really really weird on me unless I blend it out and make it more like a smudged look. Otherwise it looks very harsh. 

Of course I tried it on at night when most of my makeup had worn off. I'll have to try everything when I have on my bare minerals since it makes my face completely opaque instead of slightly ruddy. 

I love the lipstick and I love the two lighter eyeshadows. I haven't tried the lipgloss out yet though. 

The packaging completely blew me away. It's probably the nicest packaging I've ever had on any makeup I have owned, and the size of the eyeshadow and blush palettes surprised me because I thought they would be much smaller. So that was a pleasant surprise! All in all I'm super happy with the set. I just wish it had the nail polishes too! 

I do have darker olive tone skin with yellow undertones, like an NW30, so maybe I can pull the orange/red eyeliner off without it making it look like I got punched in the eye.  The packaging is super cute especially the lipstick.  

I did happen to get the nail polish set as well.

It comes with 4 0.5 oz/15 ml bottles for $24 which comes to be $6 a bottle.  1 shimmer with flecks of fuchsia and gold, 1 glitter with mostly orange and some red bits, 1 matte, and 1 creme.  The one in the photos above is 2 coats of the creme and it went on like a typical creme polish.  The formula is not too runny and not thick and easy to work with.  Surprisingly the creme stamped pretty well too as you can see on my ring finger.  I LOVE the color!  I was going to change my polish last night and try the matte with a white stamp over but lost motivation after the third nail.  The matte is a flat matte which you could achieve with a matte top coat like Essie Matte About You over the creme.  Nothing dynamic like a Man Glaze.  The glitter polish is a typical glitter.  Not super packed with glitter like one from the Nubar Sparkles Collection or even a China Glaze but 2-3 coats over the creme and its good.  The shimmer is very sheer alone and looks nice over 2 coats of the creme as well.  I'm a freak about orange so the polishes are a keeper!

what really caught my attention is the brush set. It looks so pretty but i wonder if they are worth the price. Anyone own the set yet?

Wow!! Thanks for the swatches!

I've never really worn orange on my face since Im a true blue olive and I've learned to stay away from anything orange.

These colors look great tho, enjoy!!

Orange is everywhere this season! It's not my best color (I'm pale), but I like the look of the lipstick, lip gloss, and nail polishes. I can see from your swatches that the eyeshadow and the blush aren't good performers.

Thanks for the swatches!

I'm always disappointed with Pantone's color of the year, and I hate to say this year is no different--especially with this partnership with Sephora, easily my favorite place to shop, ever. I was only interested in trying the blush but after looking at the swatch, I can tell it won't blow me away, though I will be going to my local Sephora to try it on, anyway. Maybe if I were a bit more adventurous in my lip color, I'd try the orange lipstick--it always looked so good on my mom. It's definitely an interesting shade to try, and definitely perfect for summer. The lipsticks do look fabulous, though, so, if nothing else, I'll be snatching up that set. 

Orange eyeliner, though!? 

Originally Posted by femmefille /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for the swatches!

I'm always disappointed with Pantone's color of the year, and I hate to say this year is no different--especially with this partnership with Sephora, easily my favorite place to shop, ever. I was only interested in trying the blush but after looking at the swatch, I can tell it won't blow me away, though I will be going to my local Sephora to try it on, anyway. Maybe if I were a bit more adventurous in my lip color, I'd try the orange lipstick--it always looked so good on my mom. It's definitely an interesting shade to try, and definitely perfect for summer. The lipsticks do look fabulous, though, so, if nothing else, I'll be snatching up that set. 

Orange eyeliner, though!? 
I'm not quite bold enough to try the orange eyeliner either! I have brown eyes so it might not look that bad, but I'm used to the traditional brown/blue/gray liners.

Latest posts

Back