Shaving Tips For Men

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
BEFORE SHAVING TIPS

• Shaving when the skin is dry, leads to razor burns and red slashes across the chin and cheeks. So, first cleanse your face properly using warm or hot water (or if you are in a hurry, splash some hot water). It will soften the beard and help open up the pores.

• A healthy dose of moisturizer before shave is also a good idea.

• Use a gentle, creamy shaving lotion as this softens the hair and makes shaving easy.

• Massage your shaving cream or oil into the area to be shaved. Shaving oil or cream will give you the best results and be a lot less drying.

• Don’t use foams, gels and products that contain agents such as benzocaine or menthol. They may give a great lather but can really dry and irritate the skin, close your pores and stiffen your beard.

WHILE SHAVING TIPS

• Use hot water while shaving. It helps to soften the beard, open pores and cleanse skin.

• Make sure your razor is sharp. Old, blunt blades spoil a shave. They drag the skin and do not give a clean shave.

• For better shaving control, razor handle should be heavier.

• Always first, shave in the same direction as hair growth, this prevents in-growth to a large extent. Then re-lather and shave slightly against the direction of hair-growth for a closer shave.

• Short strokes are a better option than a long drag as they give a cleaner shave.

• Do not apply too much pressure on the shaving razor, because this will cause skin burns and irritations. Instead glide it gently across the face.

• Rinse your razor in the hot water.

AFTER SHAVING TIPS

• Finish by rinsing off with cool water. It will close the skin pores.

• Then afterwards, use a skin toner to remove any residue, close the pores and refresh the skin.

• For cuts, use a moistened alum block to stop the bleeding.

• Apply a moisturizing aftershave lotion on the shaved areas. Avoid alcohol-based aftershaves lotions as they tend to dry the skin.

• In the last, use a moisturizer over the face and neck to keep the skin firm and supple. Or apply an after shave cream to keep your skin moist and fresh with UV protection.

TACKLING THE PROBLEM OF INGROWING HAIR

The neck area as also the skin surface lying close to the jaw line is susceptible to in-growing hair. (Dark skins are more prone to this problem). In case of in growing hair, hair from the pore usually grows back on itself. This leads to a bump like eruption which may grow infectious. Some hair may grow along the surface just beneath the skin and is easily seen.

• Shaving in the direction of hair-growth tackles the problem of in-growing hair (since the hair follicle is destroyed).

• Regular use of a face scrub also helps in arresting the growth of in-growing hair since trapped hair as also dead skin is sloughed off by the scrub.

• One can use tweezers to pluck out hair wedged in a bump.

• In case part of the hair is still lodged in the skin, it is best to let the bump heal itself and then pull it out after a day or so.

The above shaving tips will give you a perfect shave. Look your best, all the time.

Dave's Shave Tips

by: Dave Snape

Guys (and maybe ladies too), I have some good news about shaving. You have probably experienced some of the hassles and problems of this chore and are familiar with its inherent potential for being very annoying.

You may be frustrated with razor burn and dry skin after struggling with your daily shaving routine. You can bet I tried all kinds of different razors, shaving cream and even some aftershaves to see what I could do about this problem.

You want to know what I found after a lot of experimenting and trying different things? You probably have a neat handy little item that is common household fare and may be found in your kitchen. It’s Olive Oil. You got it, olive oil!

The benefits to using olive oil for shaving are huge. It is such a natural lubricant that the right kind of razor will slide right across your face giving you smooth and soft skin and still getting the job of cutting the growth from your face. And the best part is that your skin will actually start to look younger after using olive oil to shave with over the long term.

Therefore, do not forget to apply some olive oil to your forehead when you shave too. The reason is that the rest of your face will become younger looking and you want your forehead to keep up. In retrospect, I remember reading about a famous Hollywood actress that mentioned that olive oil was her secret to having great skin.

You can bet that others are using olive oil to shave with too. I did a search right before deciding to share this information with you and sure enough there are other people out there that shave with olive oil.

One nice thing about it is that you don’t have to use high quality olive oil. You can buy the inexpensive low grade olive oil that doesn’t taste very good from your local supermarket to shave with.

A bottle will last a really long time. You can kiss your shaving cream goodbye. You can also leave out aftershave if you so choose. Your skin should feel great without it.

Now, let’s talk about that razor of yours. Here is what I have found out about razors and am willing to share with you. Even though I use the great lubricant properties of olive oil to shave with, I still have found a few issues that using the right kind of razor can help with.

If your experience is similar to mine, you may have found that it is difficult to shave in the grooves of your neck and face, particularly under the jaw bone with typical razors. Even with olive oil you can still easily cut your face if you make the wrong movement. You might find that that Gillette’s Mach 3 and olive oil are the perfect combination.

The Mach 3 has a nice swivel head with a great lubricating strip. This allows for the flexibility to really get into the nooks and crannies when used in combination with the olive oil. You will be able to get in there with a lot less fear of cutting yourself. It’s not impossible, but the Mach 3 does make it a lot harder to cut the skin of your face.

You may be using another brand of razor with a lubricating a strip. So far, in my opinion, none have come close to the Mach 3 for safety and comfort. I do sometimes use a stiffer blade to make the vertical strokes because it can be really effective. But, when it comes time to dig into those nooks and crannies, I like to break out the Mach 3.

No, I don’t work for Gillette and I am in no way associated with them. The reason I use a stiffer blade for the vertical strokes is because its effective and also less expensive. The Mach 3 blades are a bit on the expensive side, so you can save a little bit by just reserving them for the nooks and crannies. With the use of olive oil, you might be able to get a longer usage period out of a blade before needing to dispose of it.

For ladies, I suggest using a sparing amount of olive oil. The reason is that you will be covering a much larger area and too much olive oil can get a little messy. For us guys, we can probably enjoy the luxury of using more because it is easier to wash from the face.

I wish you the best of luck with your next shaving experience.

These are good tips for us Gals too!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
(You too Tony! LOL)

Have been using Gillette Mach 3 since they were first sold. I had a coupon for a trial razor that came with an extra blade on the back of the razor holder. Next I am going to try a new shaving gel by Noxzema, HAIR MINIMIZING SHAVE GEL on my legs to see if the shave lasts longer. Maybe try on my face also. Would be great to maximize the time before 5 O'clock shadow shows while dressed as a female with makeup on my face. Luckily I have very light color hair on my legs and a shave lasts about five days before I feel stubble growing back.
wink3.gif

Ok so no laughing, but the best advice I have for shaving is go old school. I have a double edged razor, a shaving brush and shaving soap. I would never go back to normal shaving. Less ingrown hairs, closer shave and better for the environment. I cannot say enough how much I love DE shaving, it's worth the learning curve.

Originally Posted by Janet Wyrock /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Have been using Gillette Mach 3 since they were first sold. I had a coupon for a trial razor that came with an extra blade on the back of the razor holder. Next I am going to try a new shaving gel by Noxzema, HAIR MINIMIZING SHAVE GEL on my legs to see if the shave lasts longer. Maybe try on my face also. Would be great to maximize the time before 5 O'clock shadow shows while dressed as a female with makeup on my face. Luckily I have very light color hair on my legs and a shave lasts about five days before I feel stubble growing back.
wink3.gif
Have been using Noxzema Hair Minimizing Shave Gel for a couple of weeks. The hair on my chest which is very sparse and light doesn't grow back as fast. Shaving my legs seems to last longer between shaves now every two weeks instead of one week. Tried using the gel on my face. Seems the gel does cause the 5 O'clock shadow to be minimal for a few more hours than using regular shave cream or shave gels. Have used Barbasol shaving cream for many years. Barbasol is on sale a lot at K Mart or Target, sometimes two for the price of one!

Latest posts

Back