Shoe color/style to match outfits

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, all!  It's been quite a while since I was last on here... life just gets in the way ;-)  I need a little help with shoes and know that you guys are the experts.

I'm not sure if my member icon is still up, but I'm a male-to-female crossdresser, and I recently took the chance to venture out into the world in drag.  This was a HUGE and intimidating step, but I finally put together the "look" I hoped I would years ago.  I'm having a ball!

However, I've quickly come to realize that my attire is more for evening/formal events, so I've had to go shopping for jeans, slacks, casual tops and so-on.  And the biggie... shoes.  I own only high heels at the moment, and being 6'3" tall barefooted makes me a bit of a giant in heels ;-)  Not to mention heels don't exactly always go with more casual outfits.  Thus, I need to buy some casual shoes--sandals, etc (I would love links to any recommendations on styles!).  But the biggest question is color.  I typically bought shoes to match my dresses/skirts, but I'm a bit overwhelmed with colors when it comes to casual shoes.  Will brown sandals go with just about anything?  Do I need black shoes with black pants?  Is there a good "catchall" shoe that can be worn with just about anything? 

Any tutorials and/or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!  :)

You dont want to be to matchy matchy, that is a really dated look. You want to look for something that "goes". Like a white t shirt with some blue jeans and a yellow (or green or red, etc) shoe is a cute outfit.

I'd look up a show called What Not To Wear, they have some really good tips as well.

So... I bought a pair of creme-colored fitted jeans, and have several tops of various colors (or bluejeans for that matter).  The shoes don't necessarily have to pick up the color of the top or pants?  Or kinda/maybe/sorta yes?  I've been trying to keep an eye on what women wear that are around me, but the gamut of colors/matches/etc., is utterly confusing!  I've seen a few that made me think, "You've got to be kidding... that doesn't come close to going together." 

I'm all for being your own person (obviously), but I don't want to draw people's attention due to my outfit.  If that makes sense :)

Is there anything that wouldn't go with a pair of cork/low-heeled brown sandals? 

Nope, brown sandals are very neutral as is grey, navy blue and black. But with a neutral pant, I'd make them a statement shoe.

The style is to have colors that compliment each other so basically yellow compliments purple so you could have a yellow shirt and a purple shoe as long as your pants were a neutral color. Red & green goes together but I find that makes an outfit feel way too christmasy so I avoid it myself if I can.

Basically look at a color wheel and find a color you like and then see what is on either side of it or directly across from it and see if it is something you would make an outfit out of.

Let me take a look at the links you gave me and see if I can sort out some of my questions.  Thank you!

Back