Show Me Your DIY Projects!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For my birthday, one of my best friends gave me a box she painted.

​
The picture really doesn't do it justice. It's a dark forest green with the yellow, red and black designs.  It's not a very large box, approximately 4.5" long x 3" wide x 2" tall. It's such a cute box and I knew that I wanted it to hold my ring collection. Except it was getting frustrating constantly digging around in it/dumping everything out in order to find the ring I wanted to wear that day. So I decided to be a bit more organized about the whole affair. All it took was some hot glue and some polyester batting.

​
I measured the inside of the box and cut two strips of batting. I didn't really pay attention to how long since I then rolled each side towards the middle using a slim pen to make it as tight as possible. Once I got them finished, I placed a dab of hot glue to keep them from unraveling.. Once I had the two pieces rolled up, I put them inside the box, adjusting as needed until they fit nice and snug. I contemplated hot gluing them to the box but they fit so snug, I didn't think it was necessary and just in case, I want to use the box for something else in the future.​
 ​
 ​
I played with a variety of different fabrics to dress it up a bit but truth be told, I liked the stark white. I think it helps show off the rings versus having them competing with the background. I may change it later but for now, I am happy with this set up.​
 ​
 ​
Yay! No more rummaging for rings!​
 ​

Originally Posted by Pancua /img/forum/go_quote.gif

​
 ​
Oh wow! Awesome idea!! ... I never thought of that before, I like it!!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by DreamWarrior /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh wow! Awesome idea!! ... I never thought of that before, I like it!!
thumbsup2.gif
Thank you!! I really like how it came out. 

I am in the process of organizing all my jewelry and this is just one of several projects I have going on.   :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I absolutely love what you did with that box. I think I'm going to try this but with a funky fabric on the inside. 

Covering the batting is very common, I just chose not to do it with this particular box. Fabric alone won't give you the stiffness you need like the batting does, I don't think but you can always play with it. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I don't have anywhere to put my jewelry. So I've been doing the one thing one really shouldn't do.

​
I've been throwing it all in a bag to become one large tangled mess. Which of course then means I get to frustrated to deal with it so I just leave it there to be dealt with later. Except it just becomes one vicious circle and frankly, I was tired of it. I wanted something where I could see my pretties and display them as well. So I spent Friday looking for inspiration and came across a very cute DIY hanging organizer posted by Ashley over at Make It and Love It. I managed to find some lovely red velvet scraps in my sewing room that would be perfect and picked up some black bias tape and .10 grade vinyl. I was all set to whip this little beauty out!

But then everything started going wrong. The sewing machine wouldn't sew through the vinyl despite the changing of needles. Then when I finally got it to work, the bobbin thread would get snarled up and jam up the machine. So fine, I set that one aside and pulled out the beast of all my sewing machines.

Except I can't find the power cord for it. Argh! Fine! I get it, I am not meant to make this particular beauty.

I spent Saturday being grumpy and frustrated cause I wanted to make something this weekend and my creativity juices were being jammed up!  Back to the internet for more inspiration. Enter this post from Melissa at A Time for Everything as well as this vlog from Wendy's Look Book. An idea struck and off to Lowe's I went! I picked up a 4' by 2' 1/4" birch plywood board from the pre-cut section, 2 length of balsa wood trim and 6 cabinet pulls. Toss in some dark stain and I am really on to something! The SO is shopping with me, answering my woodworking questions and soon, I have everything  I need to make my own jewelry holder/display.

601304_10151219699489572_1257384424_n.jpg
 ​
We get my haul home and jump right in. First the measuring and cutting the trim so I get my pretty mitered corners. Thankfully, the SO was on top of it for me.​
 ​
img_13921.jpg

Stars know what would have happened if I had been left to my own devices. Probably a hospital run, those seem to be the norm when it comes to me and wood working tools. Measure twice, cut once was the motto of the hour and soon, we had everything cut down and ready to glue!  The corners don't line up in the photo below but that is because just as I snapped the picture, I bumped the table but all the corners match up nicely.​
 ​
 ​
 I love glue, I have no idea why but I do. I used to go through so many bottles of it as a kid as I slathered it all over my hands to get that cracked and peeling skin look. Yes, I was an odd child. ​
 ​
 ​
We break out the Titebond wood glue and get to work marrying the trim to the board.​
 ​
 ​
I was a bit too enthusiastic with the glue initially and had a lot of clean up after we pressed the trim piece down but once we wiped it up with a damp cloth, it got easier to determine just how much we needed to get the job done. Before too long, we got all the pieces glued down.​
 ​
 ​
Now for the hard part. The glue has to sit for 24 hours in order to cure completely.​

When last we left our eager project, it looked  like this.

​
I am a lover of raw wood, I think it has its place but I wanted drama. I wanted something bold and masculine. So I set out to find what could give me the drama I wanted. Enter Rustoleum Wood Stain in Kona!​
 ​

I wasn't too sure what to expect intially and I almost felt like I had made a mistake after I put the first coat on. It was such a stark difference from the virgin wood. I brushed the stain on with the grain of the wood, covering the whole piece. Then I went back and wiped any pooling spots with a damp rag. I left it to sit for 24 hours and then applied one more coat.

​
 ​
  It looks so incredibly awesome and it is certainly DARK. I really cannot wait to see how it looks once the sealant is dried!​
 ​
Also, this is why you shouldn't get a manicure while working on wood working projects. Thankfully a good scrubbing and most of it came off immediately.​
 ​

It's finished!

I wanted something simple to display my necklaces on with some room for growth and I got it!

​
The board is being held up with a length of brown nylon ribbon with gold accents along the side and the "hangar" is an old hand towel holder I used to have in my old bathroom. It was just laying around in the garage so I figured why not!​
 ​
 ​
I almost went out and bought one of those hand hangers  but the SO was really not keen on that.​
 ​
It's far from perfect and I suspect I will continue to tweak it as time goes on but for not, it suits my needs perfectly and best of all, my necklaces are not sitting gnarled up in a cosmetic bag. I even found some pieces I forgot I owned!​
 ​
Like my little Leeezard!​
 ​
 ​
For less than $30, I made myself a solution. Well, the SO helped. A little. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />​

It's finished!

I wanted something simple to display my necklaces on with some room for growth and I got it!

That is gorgeous!!  I have all of my necklaces on a plain bulletin board right now, but now I want to copy what you did!  I love it!!

Very beautiful and creative! I like it a lot and will eventually attempt something like the hanging board!

For my birthday, one of my best friends gave me a box she painted.

​
The picture really doesn't do it justice. It's a dark forest green with the yellow, red and black designs.  It's not a very large box, approximately 4.5" long x 3" wide x 2" tall. It's such a cute box and I knew that I wanted it to hold my ring collection. Except it was getting frustrating constantly digging around in it/dumping everything out in order to find the ring I wanted to wear that day. So I decided to be a bit more organized about the whole affair. All it took was some hot glue and some polyester batting.

​
I measured the inside of the box and cut two strips of batting. I didn't really pay attention to how long since I then rolled each side towards the middle using a slim pen to make it as tight as possible. Once I got them finished, I placed a dab of hot glue to keep them from unraveling.. Once I had the two pieces rolled up, I put them inside the box, adjusting as needed until they fit nice and snug. I contemplated hot gluing them to the box but they fit so snug, I didn't think it was necessary and just in case, I want to use the box for something else in the future.​
 ​
 ​
I played with a variety of different fabrics to dress it up a bit but truth be told, I liked the stark white. I think it helps show off the rings versus having them competing with the background. I may change it later but for now, I am happy with this set up.​
 ​
 ​
 ​
I'm a jewelry designer and I love this ring storage a lot.

Some department stores, like Herbergers, also sell jewelry boxes that have a door that swings open where you can store your jewelry inside and has a picture frame on the outside. It has quite a bit of storage in it, too. I absolutely love mine! 

A blank wall in the bedroom and an email from Darby Smart inspired me to make my own living wall art. It brings just the right amount of color into our room and still looks modern enough for our tastes. I am really happy with the results and hope I can keep the plants a live for a long time.

Latest posts

Back