Side-effects of Medications (esp. Birth Control, but all kinds of Meds welcome!)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi! I recently found a great site where you can peruse and list all sorts of side-effects and symptoms for all kinds of medications, not excluding birth control.

http://www.medications.com/

Last summer, I had a life-threatening experience while on Yasmin, and I'm curious about others positive and/or negaitve experiences while on any type of birth control, or even other medications!

Voice your praises and complaints for the medications you've used!

icon_smile.gif
/
icon_sad.gif

I've never been on birth control so I can't comment on that but *you're not gonna believe this one* I have hemophilia so as a result of transfusions and different blood products I received when I broke my jaw in a serious car accident, I tested positive for Hep C, crazy! I was completly devistated, esp. being a single Mom. The Dr's immediatly put me on an aggressive combo of drugs called Interferon and Ribavirin. I had 3 treatments that gave me horrible side effects similar to Chemo. Life sucked big time! Well, after 3 weeks of these treatments a very keen eye in a lab somewhere noticed something off about my Hep C results, long story short I didn't have it at all! Crazy! I was SO releved but SO pissed off at the same time. But getting back to the topic the side effects were horrible, I felt like I had a major flu and food poisoning at the same time!! Blech!!
icon_sad.gif

Originally Posted by Kage_sCupotea Hi! I recently found a great site where you can peruse and list all sorts of side-effects and symptoms for all kinds of medications, not excluding birth control.
http://www.medications.com/

Last summer, I had a life-threatening experience while on Yasmin, and I'm curious about others positive and/or negaitve experiences while on any type of birth control, or even other medications!

Voice your praises and complaints for the medications you've used!

icon_smile.gif
/
icon_sad.gif

Originally Posted by Tinydancer I've never been on birth control so I can't comment on that but *you're not gonna believe this one* I have hemophilia so as a result of transfusions and different blood products I received when I broke my jaw in a serious car accident, I tested positive for Hep C, crazy! I was completly devistated, esp. being a single Mom. The Dr's immediatly put me on an aggressive combo of drugs called Interferon and Ribavirin. I had 3 treatments that gave me horrible side effects similar to Chemo. Life sucked big time! Well, after 3 weeks of these treatments a very keen eye in a lab somewhere noticed something off about my Hep C results, long story short I didn't have it at all! Crazy! I was SO releved but SO pissed off at the same time. But getting back to the topic the side effects were horrible, I felt like I had a major flu and food poisoning at the same time!! Blech!!
icon_sad.gif
OMG. Woah... What happens when you get a small scratch around the house?? You have really been through the ringer. Is hemophelia an autoimmune disorder?
You must have to be SUPER careful.

I have to add that The Pill is not good for diabetics. The hormones can make your blood sugar unpredictable and wacky! Hormones are SUPER powerful and dangerous things to play with. No wonder they can make you crabby to say the least. A tiny bit of insulin, for example, can be enough to kill you.

ffbanner8.jpg

LOL! Nah, I don't have it too bad thank God, its mild hemophilia but, my nephews have severe hemophilia & they have a lot of problems from it. Hemophilia is an inherited (from females only) bleeding disorder caused by low levels, or absence of, a blood protein that is essential for clotting, I'm missing approx 36% of factor VIII which is the blood clotting factor. There are very few females with it I just happen to be the lucky one!
icon_rolleyes.gif

Basically I bruise bad and bleed a little longer than a regular person. Its a very expensive blood disease to have, one treatment, which can occur up to 5 or 6 times a month *not for me tho* can cost around 5 grand!! Good thing for insurance!

Originally Posted by Californian OMG. Woah... What happens when you get a small scratch around the house?? You have really been through the ringer. Is hemophelia an autoimmune disorder?
You must have to be SUPER careful.

Originally Posted by Tinydancer LOL! Nah, I don't have it too bad thank God, its mild hemophilia but, my nephews have severe hemophilia & they have a lot of problems from it. Hemophilia is an inherited (from females only) bleeding disorder caused by low levels, or absence of, a blood protein that is essential for clotting, I'm missing approx 36% of factor VIII which is the blood clotting factor. There are very few females with it I just happen to be the lucky one!
icon_rolleyes.gif
Basically I bruise bad and bleed a little longer than a regular person. Its a very expensive blood disease to have, one treatment, which can occur up to 5 or 6 times a month *not for me tho* can cost around 5 grand!! Good thing for insurance!

Isn't it strange that it's inherited from females, yet few females get it? Your sister must have been pretty upset to have accidentally passed it on to the kids. How is your son, is he ok? Yeah I'd say you are lucky not to have to get $5,000 treatments. It makes a highlighting job look pretty glorious. This is really really interesting to me. Thanks for sharing on it.

I'd imagined that you had to be ultra careful in your own home because a simple scratch would bleed A LOT. Not that it's a fun thing to have or anything, but I am so glad that your case is relatively mild. As a kid, you never got into serious trouble with broken bones or big falls?

Ty TinyD!

ffbanner2.jpg
This is a pic of Naturally's Bengal kitten. Cute eh?

Actually, I only found out I had it after my oldest nephew was diagnosed with it when he was 2 and that was 17 years ago. Its a long story but after they found out he had it they wanted the whole family tested for it because his case was so severe. *Sit tight* Turns out both my sister and her husband (the explanation is very complicated of how a male passed it on) carried the factor VIII mutant gene. So the combo of the two was pretty massive. I was tested and they 1st told me it was von Willebrandts *another bleeding disorder* but when I had a spontanious bleed into my hip joint *only hemophiliacs get that*

they ran newer tests and discovered I was a freakazoid and had hemophilia. So fine, but like I said its mild for me and my son has von Willebrands mildly too. Are we guilty, no not at all. Hey it is after all according to history, the disease of Royalty! I'll tell you tho, my Mom wouldn't test for it *although she is a classic case* feels guilty which I think is odd. Otherwise we're completly healthy & as a side note hemophiliacs are notorious dare devils & risk takers, we like pushing the envelope
wink.gif
So there you have it, as usual more info than you asked for.

Originally Posted by Californian Isn't it strange that it's inherited from females, yet few females get it? Your sister must have been pretty upset to have accidentally passed it on to the kids. How is your son, is he ok? Yeah I'd say you are lucky not to have to get $5,000 treatments. It makes a highlighting job look pretty glorious. This is really really interesting to me. Thanks for sharing on it.

I'd imagined that you had to be ultra careful in your own home because a simple scratch would bleed A LOT. Not that it's a fun thing to have or anything, but I am so glad that your case is relatively mild. As a kid, you never got into serious trouble with broken bones or big falls?

Ty TinyD!

ffbanner2.jpg
This is a pic of Naturally's Bengal kitten. Cute eh?

Originally Posted by Tinydancer Actually, I only found out I had it after my oldest nephew was diagnosed with it when he was 2 and that was 17 years ago. Its a long story but after they found out he had it they wanted the whole family tested for it because his case was so severe. *Sit tight* Turns out both my sister and her husband (the explanation is very complicated of how a male passed it on) carried the factor VIII mutant gene. So the combo of the two was pretty massive. I was tested and they 1st told me it was von Willebrandts *another bleeding disorder* but when I had a spontanious bleed into my hip joint *only hemophiliacs get that* they ran newer tests and discovered I was a freakazoid and had hemophilia. So fine, but like I said its mild for me and my son has von Willebrands mildly too. Are we guilty, no not at all. Hey it is after all according to history, the disease of Royalty! I'll tell you tho, my Mom wouldn't test for it *although she is a classic case* feels guilty which I think is odd. Otherwise we're completly healthy & as a side note hemophiliacs are notorious dare devils & risk takers, we like pushing the envelope
wink.gif
So there you have it, as usual more info than you asked for.

Pretty interesting! Two carriers getting together... well it's been known to happen with lots of conditions. This is really interesting and I'm glad you dont' mind chatting about it (at least not that I know of, lol).

Well the guilt thing is really not rational but lots of parents whose kids have diseases or health probs feel guilty. I think that, in the future, people will be able to have more control over the potential for diseases and conditions.

I know that my mother feels guilty that I have diabetes. But I think that she is glad that she had me anyways.. hahahah. I make her laugh so it's all cool.

Maybe stem cells can help you in the future too.

Now, about the royalty of the disease, do explain, k? I'm wondering about this...

ttyl

Latest posts

Back