Single brands vs multiple brands...difference?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, first off I am so glad to have stumbled across this forum - I'm so impressed!!
claps.gif
I fear I am already addicted to this site!
icon_wink.gif

My name is Jane - hi to everyone!

I have a question regarding using only one brand of products. I've heard you will get better results from using the products from one brand instead of mixing and matching.

For example, would using ONLY Aveda shampoo, conditioner, styling products & finishing products give you better results than if you used say....Aveda sham/cond,KMS styling products, & Redken hairspray?

I recently read that you risk the chance of more prodcut build-up and thus more lackluster results when you "mix" different brands.

Is there any truth to that theory? That using one specific brands' line of products will yeild better results than if you use different companies products at the same time.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's input!!

Thanks in advance, Jane

Hi!

Personally, I think that the theory of strictly using one brand is a way that companies create buyer loyalty. Mixing and matching different brands is part of the fun (especially when using makeup)! As for the hair products, a lot of the time, the ingredients in the Redken hairspray will be almost identical to the ingredients in the KMS hairspray (I've never heard of having more product build- up simply becaue you use more than one brand)-- it all depends on what works for your hair. Sometimes I find it easier to just buy all of my hair products from one brand, because usually on one bottle it tells you what other products you should buy-- its easier than searching around for a lot of different brands to acheive the same result (if that made any sense!
icon_redface.gif
).

Hope I helped!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Hi!
Personally, I think that the theory of strictly using one brand is a way that companies create buyer loyalty. ).

Thanks for the replies Charmaine & Ikebana!! and for the welcomes too!

I figured as much that companies were just trying to vive for my sole attention too. But then again, I thought that there might be some merit to the claims that I just wasn't aware of.

Anyways, I'm just a little over 4 months into growing out a ultra-short pixie cut that I have had for over 5 years....so needless to say I'm very interested in new or different hair care products,etc that will benefit me as I grow out this pixie cut. With my hair so ultra-short - I really could get by with drugstore sham/cond but a great styling matte clay. I'm reseraching online every product that I think might make growing my hair out easier...and that's when I stumbled across a few references to sticking with only one particular brand instead of multiples.

I, however, love trying new stuff out anyways & unless I can be convinced otherwise - I will probably keep trying different brand products at the same time.

Thanks for the replies!!! Jane
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Welcome Jane! I'm Janelle from NY - nice to meet you!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I think it's mostly brand loyalty... but if you use products from a line that contain certain ingredients - you might want to stick with the rest of the products for that same benefit... sometimes they do work well together. It's up to you... if you like ALL of one product line, go for it.. if not... nobody's telling
wink.gif

i think variety is the spice of life! hehehe. but when you find something that works for you, keep using it! i've heard that switching things up a bit after awhile makes your hair look nicer.

but there are products that work well together since they're made to go together. you just have to find things that work for you and your hair
smile.gif

oh, and welcome to mut! glad to have you here!

hi jane and welcome to mut. i'm monnie from michigan. i think that you have to do what's right for your hair. every product i use i try to evaluate it's performance on it's own. i may start by using the entire line of products, but if i don't like the way one product from a line performs i'll drop that product and find one that does. this method works for me and i use a mixed bag of products on my body from head to toe.

Originally Posted by Jane Hi, first off I am so glad to have stumbled across this forum - I'm so impressed!!
claps.gif
I fear I am already addicted to this site!
icon_wink.gif

My name is Jane - hi to everyone!

I have a question regarding using only one brand of products. I've heard you will get better results from using the products from one brand instead of mixing and matching.

For example, would using ONLY Aveda shampoo, conditioner, styling products & finishing products give you better results than if you used say....Aveda sham/cond,KMS styling products, & Redken hairspray?

I recently read that you risk the chance of more prodcut build-up and thus more lackluster results when you "mix" different brands.

Is there any truth to that theory? That using one specific brands' line of products will yeild better results than if you use different companies products at the same time.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's input!!

Thanks in advance, Jane

Latest posts

Back