Skin care products....is splurging the way to go?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Skin care is the most important! You can look gorgeous without make up if you're taking care of your skin. The key to good products is not how expensive they are or where you bought them, but what's in them. Read labels! And do research about what your particular skin type needs. Your makeup and skin products are absorbed into your body, so it's my opinion that your products should be as simple and natural as possible. 

An older lady friend of mine gave me a great piece of advice: decide the maximum amount you're willing to pay, the kind you want, then pick the one under that amount with the prettiest label (I've found this advice applies to MANY things, including wine, shoes, etc). Go to the closest beauty supplier, department store, Sephora, etc. How much are you willing to pay for a product? Be honest with your budget. That will eliminate a lot of options. Then decide that else is important to you. SPF? Organic/natural products? Oil-free? Nice smell? That will eliminate some more. Once you're down to a few, just pick the design and packaging you like best. Smell them, use the testers, etc. Think about how you will use them. For example: do you want a lip balm that requires you to put your finger in it, or one in a tube; if you buy a powder, you'll need a good brush with it, etc. Talk to the people who work there! They can answer your questions (sometimes...trust yourself too, and don't be afraid to not buy something that they recommend to you). If you can't decide, ask for samples of your "finalists."

Setting your skin routine is trial and error, and it will change as you get older and your skin has different needs. It also helps to do research first. Google "best lotion for oily skin," for example. Read forums and reviews. And have fun! 

I love Kiss my Face products but lately my skin seems to be reacting to them, specifically the Peaches and Cream moisturizer. I keep getting blackheads/pimples in really strange places. I also have some red dry skin/discoloration that I can't get rid of.

My skin has always been fine and I've taken it for granted, because now I'm dealing with adult skin issues. Boo :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Tip To Beat Wrinkle

Premature aging is often seen as unavoidable and a natural part of getting older; however, up to 90 per cent of the visible signs of aging are caused by the sun, even though they may not show up until years after sun exposure has occurred. To help avoid premature ageing, wear an SPF of at least factor 15 every day (even on cloudy days as UV rays can penetrate clouds) and switch to a higher SPF when the sun is at its strongest.

I would have to agree, get a proper skin assessment then try only sample sizes or ask for samples to test out before you spend

Absolutely agree with satojoko, it is a MUST to educate yourself about your skin type and skincare ingredients the manufacturers use in their products. But what we should do if the ingredients they use, called "special" or "active" or even "patented" used in the specific brands only? Have you heard anything about D3PA or Syn-Col? I think it is too complicated to count on the list of ingredients you can read on the box.

Not all high-end products are good for your skin. Some are effective and safe to use while others are not. I personally, will not buy cleansers/moisturizers/etc.. from a makeup store like Sephora. I'm lucky enough to have found a perfect solution to my skin and it's only $6 from Walgreens. As the others have already mentioned, it all depends on your skin type. There's only one way to find out and that's obviously to try it out. Samples are certainly the way to go here. 

It depends on your age and if you have any sort of skin problem. I have very sensitive, acne prone skin, so I like to use something gentle. I'm currently using Cetaphil for oily skin, Thayer's Cucumber Toner, and the St Ives Collagen Elastin Facial Moisturizer. I have to be more careful with what foundations I use more than skincare, though. I tried a new BB Cream the other day and it gave me a small breakout.

You don't necessarily have to splurge to find skin care products that work well for you. It may take a bit of experimenting with different brands, but you can easily find good-quality products at the drugstore. What works for one person may not work for another, so you'll have to assess your skin type and try products from there.

You dont have to splurge! I use a combination of brands. Aveeno face wash, shiseido eye cream and auravie toner and moisturizer. Aveeno is cheap, you can find it at drugstores, the eye cream was like $30ish at sephora and I got Auraive online, i have a coupon code for 25% off your order, FACEBOOK25. 

Back