Skin help

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
essentialskin -- I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but while we're on the topic, I was just wondering if you recommend me using glycolic acid in addition to or instead of benzoyl peroxide? (I am currently using salicyclic acid and BP.) I've never tried it before. I have very oily skin, with lots of clogged pores but not "true acne" according to the dermatologist I used to go to (I think he said that means I don't have all the bacteria present in regular acne, it's just that my facial oil clogs my pores). The BP and salicyclic acid work fairly well but not as well as the expensive prescriptions I used to use, so I am always open to new options. Thanks!

okay i think may have figured out a routine for myself.

AM

wash with cetaphil moisturizing bar

moisturize w/ aloe vera or cetaphil lotion where needed

PM

wash with cetaphil moiturizing bar

every other day use st. ives scrub w/ salicylic acid (gently)

opposite days of the scrub use paula's choice 8% glycolic acid OR proactives 6% glycolic toner

moisturize w/ aloe vera or cetaphil lotion where needed

is it recommended i use both salicylic acid AND glycolic acid together at night?

i was also wondering... is there a big difference between liquid and bar cetaphil? i think it would be better for my sensitive skin if i didn't have a glycolic/salicylic acid cleanser and left that to the "treatments" and just had a gentle cleanser...

I have combination skin I my vote is for you to DEFINITELY ditch the MAC studio fix (several aestheticians and derms have told me MAC is the worst makeup for acne prone skin and it literarlly suctions on to your pores...which is also why many people love it, long lasting even coverage) I think you should continue with the BP but use a stronger amount. I really like clean and clear's Persa Gel (10% BP) and it's really keeps oil and breakouts in check. Use that in your acne prone areas and cut out that apricot scrub.....it's only going to irritate your skin the granuales are too big.

I use skinstore.com for a lot of products too and I really like this cleanser I got from them called Obagi Exfoderm cleanser which is a super gentle exfoliant. If you mix this with cetaphil every other day to clease you will be doing yourself a favor.

To replace the MAC studio Fix I'd go with a tinted moisturizer. My current fave is Neotrogena's Healthy Skin Enhancer with SPF 20 adn Retinol. Since your using BP, the retinol won't really affect your skin (those two ingredients cancel each other out) but the coverage is really good and it keep you protected from the sun.

Another thing to consider is that you are probably under stress living in trhe dorms and your skin is getting used to a totally new environment. Sometime that will increase breakouts too.

Best of Luck!

Ok lets see if I can answer this question.

Benzoyl Peroxide is a lot harsher than many other acne fighting ingredients and often produces the side effect of drying out the skin. In your case since your skin is very oily this might not be a problem. My first question is what type of Benzoyl product is it as well as the salicylic acid? Is it a toner, cream, spot treatment?

Also you might benefit well from using glycolic acid but since your skin is very oily I suggest using a toner or serum to avoid adding extra moisture. If your skin has visible acne breakouts but they aren't severe a simple glycolic acid and salicylic acid spot treatment can help clear up the visible acne.

*Also to the question above regarding whether to use glycolic acid and salicylic acid, just use these two in conjunction as a spot treatment, but not on the entire face. These two ingredients are very strong so only a dab directly on the acne breakout** Also be careful of your St.Ives scrub, if it works for you thats great=) but watch your skin closely after using it. If it burns, stings, look for facial scratches..then discontinue using it as it causes very superficial scratches on the skins surface which leads to further irritation, if you have sensitive skin look into a microfiber wash cloth, they are very very gentle and exfoliate extremely well**

Ok now I'll adress the clogged pores and access oil..if you end up using a glycolic acid toner this will help reduce the oil and unclog the pores, also a toner with Tea Tree will help gently kill acne causing bacteria. Check the ingredients and if you want you can post them and I'll let you know if its beneficial, most glycolic toners are pretty straight foward and just contain water and glycolic acid..it really shouldn't cost you more than 15$ the most and if you have trouble finding one, let me know and I can customize one for you.

Another thing that might really help is a microdermabrasion, I've probably suggested it before, but it's because it works so well. Just make sure it uses Medical Grade Aluminum Oxide Crystals and avoid one that uses chemicals. Also a Home Microdermabrasion Cream, which is similiar to what I make, is just as effective as using a machine or going to a spa, you'll get the same results. So if Brand A sells a Microdermabrasion with a facy face scrubber don't feel inclined to pay an extra $20 for it, as it really wont make a difference. Basically the microdermabrasion will deeply exfoliate dead skin cells which in turn unclogges pores, refines the pores, evens out skin tone, helps reduce oily skin, the list goes on. To explain how easy it is to use..this goes for basically all Home microdermabrasions...you run the cream into your skin, you can tell the quality by how grainy the cream is, the grainier means the more crystals that were added, if its too much like lotion it means they add less crystals to save money and make a bigger profit.......just run the cream into the skin and eventually your skin will feel dried as if everything has been absorbed....keep rubbing and the remaining crystals are still on the surface of your skin and will start to grab the dead skin cells on the surface and you will start to notice erasor like clumps collecting on your skin and falling off..this is a mixture of the crystals and your dead skin...keep rubbing until there are no more erasor like clumps, rinse and you're done. It's pretty simple to do and a lot cheaper than going to a salon. I think you'll notice a big difference just from a once a week microdermabrasion.

Ok that was the longest explanation in history, but I like to give as much info as possible so don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions, and let me know what kind of benzoyl you're using. If it's something like a toner or face wash and you like how it works then I don't see anything wrong with continuing to use it, if it's irritating your skin try using Tea Tree oil instead as it produces the same effective without the irritation.

Originally Posted by girl_geek essentialskin -- I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but while we're on the topic, I was just wondering if you recommend me using glycolic acid in addition to or instead of benzoyl peroxide? (I am currently using salicyclic acid and BP.) I've never tried it before. I have very oily skin, with lots of clogged pores but not "true acne" according to the dermatologist I used to go to (I think he said that means I don't have all the bacteria present in regular acne, it's just that my facial oil clogs my pores). The BP and salicyclic acid work fairly well but not as well as the expensive prescriptions I used to use, so I am always open to new options. Thanks!

I'm using Neutrogena's On-The-Spot Treatment (a cream) that is 2.5% BP. It's supposed to be a spot treatment, but I use it on all acne-prone areas of my face (which is everywhere but my nose, strangely enough) as a preventative measure, since my dermatologist had me do that with another BP cream back before we found a prescription that was better. The 10% BP creams I used in high school did dry out my face, but this 2.5% solution doesn't dry out or irritate my skin.

For the salicyclic acid, I use Stridex Maximum Strength (2%) all over my face. My nose does get a little oily and does get the occasional zit, and this doesn't seem to irritate it like stronger medicines do.

I also cleanse and exfoliate using Cetaphil bar soap and a Buf Puf sponge, as recommended by my dermatologist.

Ok. If you find that the spot treatment and the BP 2.5% are working well for you then definitly stick with that routine. If you feel like your skin is still too oily and you're still having a lot of acne breakouts there are a couple options that will help.

1. You can add in a glycolic toner and either use it instead of the salicylic acid or interchangably. They both have benefits, however salicylic acid stays on the surface and fights visible acne, while glycolic acid will absorb deep into the skin to clear pores, helps prevent new acne from forming, and exfoliate. If you wanted you could actually take the glycolic acne toner and just pour some into your stridex pads and then you'll get both, it sounds like with your skin type being very oily that using both might help get your skin to where it needs to be so it's not so oily anymore and should helps clear your acne as well.

2. another option is to add an acne spot treatment just for acne breakouts which has salicylic acid combined with glycolic acid but in higher percentages..in other words to really get rid of your acne breakouts you might need a 3% salicylic acid solution for spot treatments.

3. the third option is to try microdermabrasion, its a much deeper exfoliation than facial brushes and might help to really give your skin a deep exfoliation as well as refine your pores and reduce oil. You would probably benefit from a once a week microdermabrasion and your regular exfoliation daily.

4. and a 4th option might be to use a soap with Tea Tree Oil in it instead of the cetaphil. An all natural soap will be just as gentle, if not more gentle as cetaphil actually contains some skin irritants

Quote:
"Cetyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Stearyl Alcohol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben. " the alcohols and the Lauryl Sulfate are cheap cleansers and emulisifiers which can actually irritate the skin. Natural soaps don't contain these chemicals and can be more soothing to the skin, also a natural soap containing Tea Tree will help kill acne causing bacteria.
I hope everything goes well and keep us posted on your progress=)

Originally Posted by girl_geek I'm using Neutrogena's On-The-Spot Treatment (a cream) that is 2.5% BP. It's supposed to be a spot treatment, but I use it on all acne-prone areas of my face (which is everywhere but my nose, strangely enough) as a preventative measure, since my dermatologist had me do that with another BP cream back before we found a prescription that was better. The 10% BP creams I used in high school did dry out my face, but this 2.5% solution doesn't dry out or irritate my skin.
For the salicyclic acid, I use Stridex Maximum Strength (2%) all over my face. My nose does get a little oily and does get the occasional zit, and this doesn't seem to irritate it like stronger medicines do.

I also cleanse and exfoliate using Cetaphil bar soap and a Buf Puf sponge, as recommended by my dermatologist.

(sorry to be butting in, i'm just gonna insert a question not to bring attention away from the other issues at hand!!!
icon_lol.gif
just act like i'm not here)

i want a gentle soap (like cetaphil) for combo skin (my nose is oily, my cheeks chin & forehead are normal, and i have a tendency to get dry) i've been using the cetaphil moisturizing bar but wonder if there is something better? maybe the liquid cetaphil? i'm not sure
icon_neutral.gif
lots of people seem to use the liquid one so i want to try it... i did try it once a while ago & i used it at night to take my makeup off (when i was using MAC studio fix) and i had two regular sized pimples that were turned into HUGE pimples. i thought it was the cetaphil liquid that had did it so i stopped using it. other than those two spots nothing else bad happened to my face and it felt good so i'm wondering if it was the cetaphil at all....

it does sound like you're using way too many products. if you're looking for a good drugstore brand try aveeno clear complexion foaming cleanser $7. stridex pads for sensitive skin will tone and exfoliate $6. i would send alittle more on a good moisturizer if you have acne prone skin, and apple cider vinegar makes a great spot treatment.

Originally Posted by whoaitschell i just moved into my dorm on saturday (it being monday today) and i am already embarrased about having to do all my skincare stuff amongst other people... i feel like my skin routine is too much, i wish it would be easy. my skin is looking not so great also... i am pale & have a tendency to get blotchy easy. the less i do to my face, the better it looks usually. i have combo skin by the way. i also have minor acne and lots of post-acne red marks (which i hate). my skin is sensitive... i always sunburn but then it turns to a tan, but the heat in general can make me a little red. if i get slapped on the leg, ill get a red mark. i just wish i could walk down the halls without having to look down and be scared someone is looking at me
icon_neutral.gif
is there any products that would suit me better? also, BP drys my skin out too much and i always have flakys AND it doesnt seem to really do alot, is there anything easier i could use for my acne? i was thinking about trying the st. ives scrub for oily/acne prone skin and ditching the bp. right now i use:

morning:

cetaphil moisturizing bar

glycolic toner on bad spots

bp 2.5 lotion of spots

cetaphil lotion on dry areas / pure aloe vera all over

mac studio fix & blot powder

night:

purity made simple to get make up off

cetaphil moisturizing bar

sometimes: st ives apricot scrub

glycolic toner all over

bp 2.5 or my 5% on bad spots

cetaphil lotion/pure aloe vera all over

i am just really confused right now & the BP doesn't seem to really help my acne at all.

any suggestions would be great!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

You have several options you could go with. You could continue using what you're using now, or go with something like Aveeno, although I think they will both give you the same effects. I looked up the ingredients used in the Aveeno Balancing Bar for combination skin and it did seem better than the cetaphil

Quote:
Oat Flour (Avena Sativa), Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearic Acid, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Water, Disodium Lauryl Sulfosuccinate, Glycerin, Titanium Dioxide, Citric Acid, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, Hydrogenated Castor Oil The oat flour, glycerin and castor oil are all beneficial.
You might also benefit from a natural soap with Tea Tree to kill acne causing bacteria. the Cetaphil and Aveeno don't contain any ingredients that are going to kill acne causing bacteria, they will basically just help remove make-up, dirt, and oil. Also Tea Tree is very gentle so it kills acne causing bacteria without over drying your skin. Other ingredients to look for in a soap might be ingredients like emu oil, goat milk, milk, soy,glycerin,ect. Ingredients along those lines will help moisturize your skin so it doesn't get dry, in other words after washing your face it won't feel tight and dry. By simply switching to products that aren't drying or that contain good humectants you might actually notice a big enough difference to where you don't need to add extra moisturizers.

For your T-Zone you might benefit from a natural toner that will absorb access oils and help regulate oil production, but that won't dry out your face.

Best of all a natural soap isn't expensive. You won't spend more than 8$ the most and a natural toner "should" also be inexpensive, I would say no more than 15$ the most, although a lot of companies are starting to catch on to using natural ingredients and essential oils like Dr. Brandts Lineless Toner for 40$ which is a complete rip-off.

Originally Posted by whoaitschell (sorry to be butting in, i'm just gonna insert a question not to bring attention away from the other issues at hand!!!
icon_lol.gif
just act like i'm not here)
i want a gentle soap (like cetaphil) for combo skin (my nose is oily, my cheeks chin & forehead are normal, and i have a tendency to get dry) i've been using the cetaphil moisturizing bar but wonder if there is something better? maybe the liquid cetaphil? i'm not sure
icon_neutral.gif
lots of people seem to use the liquid one so i want to try it... i did try it once a while ago & i used it at night to take my makeup off (when i was using MAC studio fix) and i had two regular sized pimples that were turned into HUGE pimples. i thought it was the cetaphil liquid that had did it so i stopped using it. other than those two spots nothing else bad happened to my face and it felt good so i'm wondering if it was the cetaphil at all....

i was thinking of trying one of the burt bee's soaps (they are natural), like the tomato one? but that is for oily skin & i have combo skin that can get dry. my friend uses it & her skin is great.

is there a soap with tea tree that does make my skin dry out / or red that keeps me moisturized?

The majority of natural soaps containing Tea Tree should not dry out your skin as Tea Tree is a non drying ingredient which is why I prefer it. Feel free to check out my site and look for similiar ingredients as what I put in the acne facial soap. I use goat milk which is really creamy and moistuizing for the skin. A natural soap that uses ingredients like Milk and Goatmilk do so because the lactic acid is cleansing, and the milk is nourishing and prevents the skin from over drying. Also oils like Emu Oil are really good for the skin you can check out more info on emu oil at http://www.emu-oil.com I wouldn't be surpised if you start seeing a huge surge of well known companies introduce a line of emu oil products.

I've heard good and bad things about Burt Bees mainly because their products can be really waxy. Maybe next time you're at your friends house ask her if she minds if you try out her face wash. If after using it your skin feels dry, really tight, or you feel like you need to add a moisturizer right after than it's probably too drying for your skin.

Originally Posted by whoaitschell i was thinking of trying one of the burt bee's soaps (they are natural), like the tomato one? but that is for oily skin & i have combo skin that can get dry. my friend uses it & her skin is great.
is there a soap with tea tree that does make my skin dry out / or red that keeps me moisturized?

well right now i REALLY wanna try the cetaphil liquid, the aveeno bar, & st. ives salicylic acid scrub.

i was using some aspirin masks lately and was wondering, does salicylic acid make you break out initially?? seems like the day after i use it i have a couple small pimples but i think they just came to the surface?

Originally Posted by whoaitschell well right now i REALLY wanna try the cetaphil liquid, the aveeno bar, & st. ives salicylic acid scrub.

i was using some aspirin masks lately and was wondering, does salicylic acid make you break out initially?? seems like the day after i use it i have a couple small pimples but i think they just came to the surface?

i'm not sure if it's the acid, but i know that you do get some pimples when you skin starts clearing because things are finally coming to the surface.

it's very likely that your mac foundation could be breaking you out. most people i know (including myself) break out from it. also, the st. ives apricot scrub has the tendency to spread existing acne.

its okay to skip toner as long as you are using a makeup remover, otherwise you'll want the toner/astringent to remove any remaining dirt or makeup that your cleanser didnt quite get.

Back