Skin help

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i just moved into my dorm on saturday (it being monday today) and i am already embarrased about having to do all my skincare stuff amongst other people... i feel like my skin routine is too much, i wish it would be easy. my skin is looking not so great also... i am pale & have a tendency to get blotchy easy. the less i do to my face, the better it looks usually. i have combo skin by the way. i also have minor acne and lots of post-acne red marks (which i hate). my skin is sensitive... i always sunburn but then it turns to a tan, but the heat in general can make me a little red. if i get slapped on the leg, ill get a red mark. i just wish i could walk down the halls without having to look down and be scared someone is looking at me
icon_neutral.gif
is there any products that would suit me better? also, BP drys my skin out too much and i always have flakys AND it doesnt seem to really do alot, is there anything easier i could use for my acne? i was thinking about trying the st. ives scrub for oily/acne prone skin and ditching the bp. right now i use:

morning:

cetaphil moisturizing bar

glycolic toner on bad spots

bp 2.5 lotion of spots

cetaphil lotion on dry areas / pure aloe vera all over

mac studio fix & blot powder

night:

purity made simple to get make up off

sometimes: st ives apricot scrub

glycolic toner all over

bp 2.5 or my 5% on bad spots

cetaphil lotion/pure aloe vera all over

i am just really confused right now & the BP doesn't seem to really help my acne at all.

any suggestions would be great!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I wonder if your skin would do better if you didn't use the toner twice a day...I'm just thinking that if you have a very sensitive skin the toner and the bp might be too much for your skin. I have a very sensitive skin too and if I use harsh products on it I get breakouts and red dry spots. Also Studiofix caused me bad breakouts and I know some people whose skin reacted the same way. Just a thought that Studiofix might be also causing your breakouts.

hi....

i think reija is probably right about the toner. i have sensitive skin as well, and i skip toner altogether, and did so when i had bad acne as well. if you dry out your skin too much, you end up producing more oil. and since you have combo skin, i would suggest skipping it, because even when you spot treat with a glycolic acid toner, for some reason the rest of the skin is affected and can dry out as well.

if you think the bp isn't doing anything than ditch it. when i have used it, my skin has never reacted well and was never improved any i personally respond well to retin a. you could try retin a, differin, salyclic acid...just tell your dermatologist the bp isn't working for you and start on something more gentle.

you also may want to try something that isn't a moisturizing bad. cetaphil is a good cleanser, but i also have combo skin and think it doesn't remove makeup and dirt very well. johnson and johnson's purpose cleanser is really good, and i alternate between that and yonka lait nettoyant cleanser

(a noncomedogenic milky cleanser)

a couple years ago when i was getting annoying breakouts, i went for a facial as a last resort and just stuck to the line recommended me - dermalogica. it is sold through salons, spas, and some beauty stores, and i thought i struck gold when i started using this line. i thought nothing would ever work on my skin! the dermal clay cleanser, daily microfoliant, and active moist moisturizer really got my skin looking great...and i got compliments on my skin left and right, which was really strange. the microfoliant is AMAZING, and i would recommend that and the active moist most of all. i just had a woman in bloomingdales ask me what i use on my skin today and how my skin looks so good, and i told her about the microfoliant. you use a little bit every morning when you wash your face. not only does it exfoliate, but it helps with acne and skin pigmentation. i cannot recommend any other product more highly!

as far as worrying what people in your dorm will think about your skincare routine, i woiuldn't worry all that much about that. i remember seeing the most popular girl in my college waxing the tops of her FEET in the dorm bathroom and not caring! there are a lot of kids in college dealing with acne and elaborate skincare routines, so you will not be alone. when i simplified my skincare routine to the dermalogica line, my skin looked amazing! there are more elegant moisturizers than the cetaphil one....the active moist literally helps your skin clear up as you sleep. i hope you try it! good luck!

jessica

I also agree about the toner not to use it twice a day. When I used it all it did was dry out the areas that didn't get oily..I have combo skin as well.

Ever thought of trying something more natural? I would talk to the dermatologist about how your skin is reacting and see what they say.

This isn't something I wrote the ebook this is from is at the bottom. You could probably find it by google it.

I read this ebook about acne and in it there is a simple mask you might want to try .

Because your already using aloe vera is why I thought this might be good try.

What this mask is for helping your face feel incredibly soft, smooth and look absolutely radiant. Why? because it contains only 3 ingredients.

Aloe Vera has been known for its amazing healing properties for centuries. Its

has been used to help heal burns, eczema, sores, acne, insect bites and more. Its antiseptic, lubricant, and it penetrates deep into the skin.

The Seaweed is rich in nutrients which help the skin hold it's moisture better and helps to smooth fine lines. I am sure thats not a problem for you
hahaha.gif

The honey in the mask adds addititonal moisture to the skin. Honey is a natural humectant that is rich in vitamins, minerals, enzymes and sugar. The sugar and enzymes in the honey is a gentle exfoliate for the skin. When its possible, use raw honey to just ensure that you get the maximum quality and benefit out of it.

The mask is

1 Tblspoon Kelp Powder

1 1/2 teaspoon honey (raw is best)

1 1/2 teaspoon Aloe vera gel (99.9%)

Check the natural store in your area for all 3 ingredients to make sure you have the best.

Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and apply to a clean face. Just leave it on for 15 minutes and rinse it off with warm water. Do this twice a week and your skin will be amazing! glowing!

The mask was created by Danielle Sims out of the free ebook

"How to Get Acne-Free Skin and End the Breakouts" A complete Guide to Curing Acne.. By Arina Nikitina

Please check with your dermatologist to make sure its ok try this.

Because I have problem skin and I am a great believer is doing things as natural as one can..
claps.gif

i don't know...i tried all those homeopathic skin diy stuff, and it really just messed up my skin more. just because something is natural, does not mean it is more gentle. honey made me break out really badly. you need to be careful with diy natural therapies because it is difficult to attain a balance between different ingredients. the products i use are all based upon plants. natural is usually always better, but i think it is best to stick with mostly natural products and stay away from ones with petroleum and cetyl alcohol. basically...alcohol altogether is great for irritating sensitive skin and not much else. eating organic food definately helps the skin. living a natural healthy lifestyle definately shows through on the outside!

dermalogica sounds good BUT i am at college now with no car (& no money should i say) and i am just trying to stick to "drugstore" brands. so yeah, that makes things more difficult
icon_neutral.gif

i just listed what i use above!

johnson and johnson purpose cleanser (when i have more breakouts)

or/and

yonka lait nettoyant (a milk cleanser that does not clog pores, leaves skin soft and not dry, and removes day makeup well)

dermalogica microfoliant (every morning)

dermalogica active moist (in summer when i tend to break out more)

dermalogica skin smoothing cream (medium weight moisturizer good for winter with aloe, grapeseed extract and vitamins a, c, and e.)

that's really it. pretty simple routine actually. if you go to skinstore.com you can read more about the line. they don't use artificial fragrances or colors and use a lot of plants in their products. yonka does as well. dermalogica also has their own website, but you can get a lot of information about the line from www.skinstore.com. i said more in my other post. hope this helps.

ooh...i understand. been there! i sort of splurge on skincare products...maybe the others can offer you more help. i would definately go with salycic acid rather than bp. i know neutrogena and other drugstore brands use it. it also exfoliates your skin. the cetaphl cleanser is good but you might want to try something that will clean better. you could try purpose if you haven't. my dermatologist recommended it to me. works for me.

I also have combo skin and get blotchy and I can't stand it. I really streamlined my skin care product use since high school. For everyday cleansing now I just use regular Dove soap and a washcloth each morning and before bed I use Clearasil Daily Wash cleanser to wash off any make-up and dirt. I've been using this combo for a few years now and will not change it. My breakouts have ceased and so has oil-production. The cleanser can be used twice a day, but I don't think I need to and I use Clinique's Clarifying Lotion #2 once a day. I use St. Ives Apricot Scrub once a week, because my skin seems to dry out rather quickly. I really have seen an improvement in my skin. I will occasionally do a facial peel treatment once or twice a week at home and it just makes my face glow.

In highschool bp would just dry out my skin and that's it. I finally went to a derm and he gave me Differin. Check into it, because it really does work wonders.

http://www.clearasil.us/products/pro...umn_category=2

------------------

I tried the dorm the first year of college and I know how you feel. Going from having your own bathroom to sharing such a private space can be tough at first, but just think, the other students have the same exact issues as you. No one wakes up looking gorgeous with perfect hair, skin and make-up. Don't let this one thing affect such a wonderful time in your life. Walk with your head raised high and know that we criticize ourselves way more than anyone else ever will.

Girl, u do WWAAAYYYY too much stuff. Heres what u should consider doing

Morning:

Salacidic(sp?) acid cleanser

Salacidic(sp?) acid toner

Oil-free moisturizer (if u have to)

Night:

Do the same thing as above

I've never understood what toner is for really, it will dry your face out and make the red patches worse.

Salicylic acid (like in Neutrogena products) is better than bp. Spot treat instead of rubbing all over your skin.

Try to stick with 1 treatment, don't mix Salicylic acid with retinols or other acids. I've never felt that mixing brands is a good idea.

I use the Neutrogena Microderm abrasion system 2-3 times per week, it really helps even out skin tone. Baby wipes to clean off my face at night, I don't believe in washing your face every night unless you're wearing heavy foundation.

It takes years to figure out what works best and by then your skin will change again
icon_lol.gif

Hm, I have oily skin and clogged pores, so I don't know if my routine would be the best for you, but here is what I am currently doing:

Morning:

Wash face in shower (dove soap)

Stridex Maximum Strength (2% salicyclic acid)

Cornsilk Mattifier (not sure if this is really working though!)

Evening:

Wash and exfoliate with Cetaphil bar soap and Buf Puf sponge

Stridex Maximum Strength

Neutrogenia On-The-Spot Treatment (2.5% BP)

This is working fairly well for me, though I still get some acne. The BP did a lot for my skin -- earlier I was just using salicyclic acid and had lots of acne, and when I added the BP it cleared up a lot of it. I use the BP on all my acne-prone areas as prevention, rather than just spot treatment. The 2.5% once a day doesn't dry out my skin at all, even though back in high school I had problems with the 10% drying me out. But if the BP isn't working for you, I would omit it -- no sense in overloading your skin with unnecessary chemicals!

When I was going to a dermatologist, this was my routine (below). It worked better than my current drugstore routine, but I thought I could save money at the drugstore -- and my acne is still a lot better than it was in high school so at the moment I don't mind the drugstore treatments. But just for kicks, this was my dermatologist-recommended routine:

Morning:

Wash with Cetaphil or Dove soap (Dove is more moisturizing if you need it)

Clindagel

Clinac OC Oil Control Gel (I don't think this worked very well though)

Evening:

Wash and Exfolitate with Cetaphil or Dove soap, and Buf Puf sponge

Clindagel

Tazorac (worked much better than Differin for me, even though lots of people love Differin)

I would also highly recommend quit using the StudioFix, I have only heard bad things about how it causes acne. It's important to use only noncomedogenic makeup (and sunscreen if you use it). I have a lot of info in my notepad about makeup, hair products, and other things that are safe for acne-prone skin, almost all of which was recommended by my dermatologist. There is a lot more to treating acne than simply applying medications!

Otherwise, don't worry about having a more complicated skincare routine, there are a lot of college-age girls (and older girls, like me, lol) that are dealing with acne! And even for the girls that have naturally gorgeous skin (like one of my old roommates, she never wore makeup and looked great, it drove me nuts! lol), you never know how long they spend doing makeup or hair or picking out their clothes each morning!
wink.gif
Plus, if you can find a routine that works for you, it will be worth it to have great skin!

i forgot....neutrogena makes a great cleanser with salycic acid. it is definately a good one. but you would have to use an eye makeup remover of course because this will burn your eyes.

i personally would skip a toner. yeah...some toners do not dry out the skin, but the ones that do not don't really help that much either in my opinion. you would already be using a product that tightens and refines pores, so i would say if you have particularly sensitive skin, you can skip it.

there is also a salycic (i know...sp!) nightime treatment by neutrogena that you put a thin layer on of...kind of like a mask. i used this when i was in high school and broke out and it cleared up my skin and made my skin texture sooo smooth!

oh...thought i'd mention...

the neutrogena microdermabrasion system made me break out BIG TIME! it leaves your skin really soft, but i think that is because it has moisturizers in the scrub. i don't consider it a total waste of money though - the facial brush doubles as a massage tool! my skin was really clear before i used it and my skin is still clearing up from the microdermabrasion kit. i guess i'm still acne prone at 25...
icon_rolleyes.gif

I say first and foremost ditch the MAC Studio Fix. This has been a major cause of Acne among many girls I know. It also sounds like you may be over-medicating your skin. Maybe do the BP every other day. I didn't have any luck with BP or Salicylic Acid. Glycolic Works for me. Also maybe try a less harsh treatment like Retin-A Micro or Differin???? As for being shy about your routine.....who cares! Taking time to take care of your skin will pay off in the long run.
icon_biggrin.gif

why dont u try the brand simple, its great for all skins even sensitive, its colour and perfume free. its what i use as i have combination skin but my skin is very sensitive to products. (specially toners) most products seem 2 sting my face but this brand doesnt
icon_cheesygrin.gif

i'm just scared that if i stop BP completely i might get worse? but i dunno.. my skin seems really resistent, like my pimples do not go away fast at all. so it might be good just to try and use the st. ives saliytic (sp?) acid scrub every other night really gently and NO BP since it really doesn't make my zits go away at all.

Originally Posted by Sofia I also have combo skin and get blotchy and I can't stand it. I really streamlined my skin care product use since high school. For everyday cleansing now I just use regular Dove soap and a washcloth each morning and before bed I use Clearasil Daily Wash cleanser to wash off any make-up and dirt. I've been using this combo for a few years now and will not change it. My breakouts have ceased and so has oil-production. The cleanser can be used twice a day, but I don't think I need to and I use Clinique's Clarifying Lotion #2 once a day. I use St. Ives Apricot Scrub once a week, because my skin seems to dry out rather quickly. I really have seen an improvement in my skin. I will occasionally do a facial peel treatment once or twice a week at home and it just makes my face glow.
In highschool bp would just dry out my skin and that's it. I finally went to a derm and he gave me Differin. Check into it, because it really does work wonders.

http://www.clearasil.us/products/pro...umn_category=2

------------------

I tried the dorm the first year of college and I know how you feel. Going from having your own bathroom to sharing such a private space can be tough at first, but just think, the other students have the same exact issues as you. No one wakes up looking gorgeous with perfect hair, skin and make-up. Don't let this one thing affect such a wonderful time in your life. Walk with your head raised high and know that we criticize ourselves way more than anyone else ever will.

i used that same clearasil cleanser when i was in 7th grade i think and it did nothing for my acne, my skin was really bad. but i'm guessing it would be different now. what type of at home peel do you use? like a glycolic one?

Soory I'm a little late to reply but here is what I'm noticing from what you write.

Ok my first question is what percentage of glycolic acid is in your toner? The most it should be for your skin type is 8% and even then I think this might be too harsh for your skin type. If you find that the glycolic acid is helping. I would instead use a low percentage glycolic night cream. This way you're getting both the glycolic acid and a light moisturizer at night, but I don't suggest using a glycolic toner 2x a day. This is probably just irritating your skin even more.

If you're looking for a toner to absorb access oils without dyring out your skin, I highly suggest an all natural toner with essential oils like Tea Tree. The one I use has Tea Tree Oil, Manuka Oil(which is from the Tea tree family, but up to 50% more effective at killing certain bacterias), Palmarosa Oil which helps regulate oil production, Rosemary Oil which is a high anti-oxidant, Green Tea Extracts which is also a high anti-oxidant, and Algae Extracts which help regular oil production as well. Even though yes I have a skin care line and make it, it works wonders for my skin so when looking for a toner, look for one with those similiar ingredients. If you're looking for a name brand Dr. brandt makes a similiar toner.

Personally I think these two changes might make a huge difference. Also when moisturizing your face, only use it where you absolutely need it. If you do end up using a glycolic acid night cream I think you might notice you don't need a moistuizer during the day. Many times by adding a moisturizer you could be adding access oils to your skin which will in turn cause more breakouts.

Another question is how does your skin feel after washing it with your cleanser? It should feel moisturized and not dry or irritated after. Then by adding a very gentle toner only on oily areas and acne areas, you might be able to completely cut the moisturizer during the day.

I hope some of this info has helped, keep us posted!

Originally Posted by whoaitschell i just moved into my dorm on saturday (it being monday today) and i am already embarrased about having to do all my skincare stuff amongst other people... i feel like my skin routine is too much, i wish it would be easy. my skin is looking not so great also... i am pale & have a tendency to get blotchy easy. the less i do to my face, the better it looks usually. i have combo skin by the way. i also have minor acne and lots of post-acne red marks (which i hate). my skin is sensitive... i always sunburn but then it turns to a tan, but the heat in general can make me a little red. if i get slapped on the leg, ill get a red mark. i just wish i could walk down the halls without having to look down and be scared someone is looking at me
icon_neutral.gif
is there any products that would suit me better? also, BP drys my skin out too much and i always have flakys AND it doesnt seem to really do alot, is there anything easier i could use for my acne? i was thinking about trying the st. ives scrub for oily/acne prone skin and ditching the bp. right now i use:
morning:

glycolic toner on bad spots

bp 2.5 lotion of spots

cetaphil lotion on dry areas / pure aloe vera all over

mac studio fix & blot powder

night:

purity made simple to get make up off

sometimes: st ives apricot scrub

glycolic toner all over

bp 2.5 or my 5% on bad spots

cetaphil lotion/pure aloe vera all over

i am just really confused right now & the BP doesn't seem to really help my acne at all.

any suggestions would be great!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I have two extra tid bits of info since I noticed your concerns about face washes, and acne spot treatments.

And to the earlier question about toners- a toners main purpose should be to absorb access oils, help control oil production, and kill acne causing bacteria. A toner should not be drying and it should not sting. Just read your ingredients and be sure of what you're getting, I'll make a post later on harmful skin care ingredients.

Ok back to your facial cleanser. First always use a make-up remover first to help get rid of all your make-up. If you're looking for a gentle cleanser that won't dry out your skin, but that will sufficiently clean it, I have had the most benefits using an all natural facial soap, but again look for ingredients like Tea Tree, I also suggest looking for one that contains goat milk, it wont cause acne and its very moistuirzing, I use it in all my soaps to add an extra bit of moisture. Also the whole Honey thing, When using honey in skin care ingredients it has to be cosmetic grade honey, which comes in a powder form and is completely raw. I don't suggest going to a food store and getting honey to put on your skin even if it is very pure, it's still also sticky and clogs pores.

Another type of soap I suggest is a Dead Sea Mud or Mineral Soap. While I use dead Sea Minerals in my acne soap I haven't made a Dead Sea Mud Soap which is the newest product I will be making soon. I started using dead sea mineral on my skin and automatically my skin started clearing. The benefit with a Dead Sea Mud soap is that it has very fine grainy texture which acts as an exfoliator as well meaning you wont have to waste money on a facial exfoliator as dead sea mud does the trick. The Salts in the Dead Sea have a huge mineral content and Sulfer! which is well known for it's ability to kill acne bacteria, also the salt really opens the pores while you're washing your face. Before I started adding the minerals to my soap I used to actually melt my dead sea salts with some water in the microeave and wash my face with just the water and my microfiber towel. If you want more information on the dead sea you can check my website as I have an ingredient information page, or a simple search will give you tons of info.

Ok now for the spot treatment. I can't say enough about salicylic acid and glycolic acid spot treatments. Unfortunetly most people haven't caught on about mixing the two, but there are a few out there who do. Basically what happens is this:

Glycolic acid has a very small molecule size and is able to penetrate deep into the pores, whole Salicylic Acid on the other hand has a very large molecule size and sits on the surface of the skin. So when used on visible acne you have the Salicyclic Acid staying on the surface of the skin where acne is present, but then you also have the glycolic acid working deep within the acne leasion and underneath the skin. Using both combined is a great acne fighter. Essential Skincare makes a glycolic/salicyclic acid spot treatment as well as Dr. Brandt, Philosophy, and MD Formulations although there's are more expensive. When looking for a spot treatment just read the ingredients for both glycolic and salicyclic acid and I think you will find a big difference.

Sorry its so long, but hope some info has helped=)

Latest posts

Back