Skin Regime help/suggestions

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After many years of clear skin and merely "occasionally" washing my face with dove, I switched medicines, and now, I have breakouts.
frown.gif
I have tried the Clinique skin care regime and the L'Oreal Pure Zone regime. The Clinique was okay, and the L'Oreal I did not like. It was WAY too powerful for my face--it felt like my face was going to burn off!! Anyway, I have sensitive skin and combination skin. I've been trying to look for samples before I try anything, so any suggestions would be great!
smile.gif

I love MD Formulations. I have been using it for about 6 months now and have minimal break outs and my skin feels and looks better.

You should try the st. Ives scrub and it is for sensitive skin. Or any of the other st.Ives stuff.

If you go to a Bare Minerals store you might be able to get samples. They also sell a kit which you might be able to get and try their products out.

Originally Posted by Brelki Is there a place to get samples of either one--MD or St. Ives? I don't know but it isn't expensive. Do you have a wal*mart near you?

you may want to check out this thread on skincare to see what everyone else uses. Click here. Hope this helps.
icon_smile.gif

Originally Posted by devinjhans you may want to check out this thread on skincare to see what everyone else uses. Click here. Hope this helps.
icon_smile.gif
Thanks for the link. I'll definately check it out!

When I first went to the derm she recommended Eucerin, I've been using it and it did help my skin...it's worth a try
icon_neutral.gif

I would definitely recommend DHC products! Their deep cleansing oil and mild soap are amazing. My skin is combination also, but these products are also great for sensitive skin. There are samples on eBay, and every time you order from DHC they'll give you lots of samples to try! You should read the reviews on them!
redface.gif

suggestions:

THE BASICS

ANTI-BACTERIAL SKIN WASH:

A NATURALLY- FOAMING, ANTIBACTERIAL FACE WASH DESIGNED TO CLEANSE AND PURIFY THE SKIN OF EXCESS OIL

LOOK FOR KEY INGREDIENTS: ANTI-BACTERIAL TRICLOCAN AND SALICYLIC ACID HELP TO ELIMINATE SURFACE BACTERIA AND PREVENT FUTURE BREAKOUTS. BALM MINT, CONEFLOWER AND CAMPHOR TO PURIFY AND SOOTH THE SKIN.

USE TWICE DAILY. USE IN CONJUNCTION WITH OIL-FREE MOISTURIZER. OIL CONTROL LOTION.

NEVER GO TO BED WITH OUT WASHING YOUR FACE.

To help answer your question better I was wondering what type of acne breakouts you seem to be getting, are they blackheads, whiteheads, cystic acne, the more you can describe the better? Also what medicine did you switch that caused your acne? Is it a medicine for the skin or a completely separate type of medication? Also have you talked to your doctor about why this medication might have caused your acne, is it possible to switch to a different medication?

One thing that might help right off the bat is using a very gentle facial soap. I suggest getting an all natural face soap, it should be inexpensive and contain no harsh chemicals avoid Sulfates. Ingredients like Tea Tree will help kill the acne causing bacteria. Ingredients like Milk, Goat Milk, Emu Oil, Jojoba Oil, will balance your skins natural PH level so you don't strip your skins natural oils. This often causes people to break out because harsh face washes strip your natural oils causing your skin to produce even more oil, thus triggering more breakouts.

Also I would avoid using too many products, as your skin care regiment will have to take into account that your skin is more sensitive so usually the more unnecessary products you use, the more you'll irritate your skin. I'll see if I can help more after I learn more about the type of acne you seem to be getting=)

Originally Posted by Brelki After many years of clear skin and merely "occasionally" washing my face with dove, I switched medicines, and now, I have breakouts.
frown.gif
I have tried the Clinique skin care regime and the L'Oreal Pure Zone regime. The Clinique was okay, and the L'Oreal I did not like. It was WAY too powerful for my face--it felt like my face was going to burn off!! Anyway, I have sensitive skin and combination skin. I've been trying to look for samples before I try anything, so any suggestions would be great!
smile.gif

It's cystic acne, I believe. They feel very deep (I can feel them coming before they fully "pop" out), and they hurt quite a bit. It's not all over my face, but mainly in the chin and the nose area.

I switched birth controls. I've discussed it with my dr. and he just suggested that I find a skincare regime (he suggested proactiv). I've thought about switching birth control, and I may do that soon.

Thanks so much for your help!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by essentialskin To help answer your question better I was wondering what type of acne breakouts you seem to be getting, are they blackheads, whiteheads, cystic acne, the more you can describe the better? Also what medicine did you switch that caused your acne? Is it a medicine for the skin or a completely separate type of medication? Also have you talked to your doctor about why this medication might have caused your acne, is it possible to switch to a different medication?
One thing that might help right off the bat is using a very gentle facial soap. I suggest getting an all natural face soap, it should be inexpensive and contain no harsh chemicals avoid Sulfates. Ingredients like Tea Tree will help kill the acne causing bacteria. Ingredients like Milk, Goat Milk, Emu Oil, Jojoba Oil, will balance your skins natural PH level so you don't strip your skins natural oils. This often causes people to break out because harsh face washes strip your natural oils causing your skin to produce even more oil, thus triggering more breakouts.

Also I would avoid using too many products, as your skin care regiment will have to take into account that your skin is more sensitive so usually the more unnecessary products you use, the more you'll irritate your skin. I'll see if I can help more after I learn more about the type of acne you seem to be getting=)

Originally Posted by Brelki After many years of clear skin and merely "occasionally" washing my face with dove, I switched medicines, and now, I have breakouts.
frown.gif
smile.gif
I have been using a skin care regime that I found on ebay of all places. The name is pretty dork, but the products are fabulous! Bizzi Lisa The Face and Body Collection. I started a thread on it under the skin care forum titled wonderful skin care. I am thrilled with the products. My skin is sensitive too but more on the dry side. Since using her products my skin has never looked better. The products are natural and the price is great. Like $5! $15 dollars for a kit of three products. Check out my thread if you want to read a little more about it. I also reviewed a couple of the products in the review section.

And no I am not related to her or benefited by recommending these products in any way. I just really love it and want to tell everyone who will listen about them.

Good luck. I hope you find something that works for you

That explains it all=) What you're experiencing is hormonal acne, almost definitly caused by switching your birth control which has effected your hormone levels causing your acne. You can go with trying to find a new regiment, but your best bet would be to tell your doctor to switch your birth control.

For now I definitly suggest a gentle cleanser because your skin sounds sensitive and also because cystic acne is caused by an abundace of oil which gets clogged underneath the skin. To help this you can use a gentle toner on acne prone and oily areas, but don't use harsh products as it could irritate your skin causing more oil production and more acne. I think you will notice that the more minimal your skin care regiment the better your skin will be.

You might also benefit from a once a week home microdermabrasion to further unclog pores and oil build up.

Originally Posted by Brelki It's cystic acne, I believe. They feel very deep (I can feel them coming before they fully "pop" out), and they hurt quite a bit. It's not all over my face, but mainly in the chin and the nose area.I switched birth controls. I've discussed it with my dr. and he just suggested that I find a skincare regime (he suggested proactiv). I've thought about switching birth control, and I may do that soon.

Thanks so much for your help!
smile.gif

Thanks everyone! I'll probably just ask my dr. to put me back on what I was on before (almost 8 years). I didn't have any problems with it. But I will look into getting a gentle cleanser.
smile.gif
Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back